Cubs best unknown prospect

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Saunders is 22. If he's not beating the hell out of the younger competition in rookie league and at A-level, then he's pretty much a no-name. It's good that he's hitting so well so far, but you have to take into account the small amount of opportunities he's had so far. I think they'll have him in Daytona or Tennessee for a bit to see what he does. Wait for that before you anoint him the next big thing. But the early signs are encouraging.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Saunders has to earn the billing first with sustained success then he has to pass the AA test this year to start getting mentions. He is unknown, so much so that I can't find any reports on his tools.

Sent from up Mark Teixeira's butt.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Saunders is 22. If he's not beating the hell out of the younger competition in rookie league and at A-level, then he's pretty much a no-name. It's good that he's hitting so well so far, but you have to take into account the small amount of opportunities he's had so far. I think they'll have him in Daytona or Tennessee for a bit to see what he does. Wait for that before you anoint him the next big thing. But the early signs are encouraging.

Daytona doesnt exist anymore haha. Kane County

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Daytona doesnt exist anymore haha. Kane County

I thought Peoria got the axe and the cubs still have the Daytona Cubs.

Sent from up Mark Teixeira's butt.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
haha alright ill just shut up then. my bad lol

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Best unknown prospect? Can we label him, "Prospect X"? :fap:

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Daytona's top age is 22. If he's still 23 and in Daytona, then there's a problem. I think.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Saunders is a good guy to root for, but he is hardly a top prospect. If you are looking for a guy with little pub so far to get behind I would think the arms taken in the later part of the top 10 rounds like Josh Conway or Anthony Prieto would be a better choice, imo.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone think Austin Kirk is a sleeper pick? He was a top round pick, but he hasn't move too much in the system.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone think Austin Kirk is a sleeper pick? He was a top round pick, but he hasn't move too much in the system.
Meh stuff. Going to rely on command and deception to become a useable big league starter. He could be a backend of the rotation guy, but a lot has to go right for that to happen.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, I did hear about he will have to command to be effective. If everything goes right, back-end starter may be fine. As you'll have Samardzija, FA, possible Jackson, Johnson, Kirk? etc?

Hopefully Maples finally gets it figured out and makes a huge jump this year.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Yes, I did hear about he will have to command to be effective. If everything goes right, back-end starter may be fine. As you'll have Samardzija, FA, possible Jackson, Johnson, Kirk? etc?

Hopefully Maples finally gets it figured out and makes a huge jump this year.

I would hope Samardzija isn't the ace.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Why is everyone making it sound like 22 is so old? He just got out of college. Mike Zunino is 21, came out of college together and he only played two weeks in Double A. Not everyone is Mike Trout or Bryce Harper coming up by the time they are 20

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why is everyone making it sound like 22 is so old? He just got out of college. Mike Zunino is 21, came out of college together and he only played two weeks in Double A. Not everyone is Mike Trout or Bryce Harper coming up by the time they are 20

Well, I'll let you do your own research here...

Saunders: http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=saunde002tim

Zunino: http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=zunino001mic

One of these things is definitely not like the other.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:

There's a few factors at play when it comes to a relatively unknown prospect who is 22 in A Ball. None of them mean the player will never develop into a surprise per se, but they are things to think about when you evaluate Player X.

One of them is the age/level thing. Saunders is destroying A ball, which is fine but AA ball is where the more advanced pitching is and that's the real nut cutter for 22 year olds. I don't think anyone is writing Saunders off but I do caution the use of a very small sample of stats when evaluating a player. It is a tremendous start and it does elevate him from "non prospect" to "fringey guy," but the jump from that to "MLB starter" is one filled with Jake Fox's and Jason Dubois's.

Scouts like his glove and his range but aren't sold that the hit tool will come around and his power is non existent with a swing that isn't likely to generate more. He can succeed but it's a high climb for him.