Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Bullshit. Rosenthal said Granderson wanted to play for a winner, which is something the Cubs are not.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Is a 33 yo Grandy who has been frequently injured worth giving the Yanks their 2nd round pick?

Now long term they will need another LH bat with Rizzo to split up Almora, Baez, Bryant and Soler. He would project in LF in that line up. I'm just wondering on the quality of next years draft depth. If there is a talent drop off by that pick sure.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't see the point. He's not going to make next years team a winner. The 2015 would require a lot of positive moves besides him as well as some of the prospects hitting the majors to be an impact and even then it's not like it's a guarantee they would be contenders. So, if the 4 year deal you suggest is a thing what do the cubs get out of it? They get maybe the 2 worst years of the deal where they would be half way competitive.

It's not like Granderson is a younger player at a cornerstone position. He's an OFer who can't hit lead off which is more of a concern than power as the cubs were actually really good in ISO last year. And it's not like players of his caliber wont be around next year.... or the year after. If the cubs go after Tanaka I'd be fine with it because he would figure into the future though with the money being floated around I'm not sure I agree with what they'd have to pay to get him.

However, Granderson isn't the same story. He's not a guy you bring in to flip either. Why bring him in when they could possibly get someone like Reed Johnson who could actually bat leadoff without losing a pick and for substantially cheaper? Not to mention he's going to be 33 before next year.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs are gonna win like 65 times, how many more does he need??? geeez

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Bullshit. Rosenthal said Granderson wanted to play for a winner, which is something the Cubs are not.

$$$ matter. Cubs have some legit talent coming.

Question is if he wants a proven thing or part of the equation. Just this year alone you could have Castro, Valbuena, Rizzo, Olt, Granderson, Schierholtz, Sweeney, Castillo. Ya I believe if they signed him Lake is a part timer.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
not happening. .
1. a 2nd rd pick not worth a couple yrs of a 33 yo for a team thats still building.

2. at 33 granderson looking for a team that has a chance to win this year.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
He wants to go to a contender and too old for Cubs. The Cubs were probably doing their due diligence on Granderson as they do for a lot of players.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Come on Cubs. Make an offer and take Curtis so the Boys on the South Side don't. You can do it Cubbies!! :smug:

CubbyBear2290

Graham Dougie=UNBEATABLE!
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't mind this move, but from what I have read the Cubs are interested, and well he's is also. But the Cubs only want a 1-2 year contract with possibly a vesting option. Grandyman want a guaranteed 3 year contract. That part I don't think he gets from anyone. I like what he could bring the Cubs in terms of leadership, power, veteran presence. As the cubs really don't have much of any of the 3 aforementioned.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs NOT giving up 2nd RD pick + draft slot money for 33 y/o OF

chibears55

Liked Posts:
if the cubs are going to part ways with their 2nd round pick, iit would most likely be for jacoby elsbury (30).. sure he looking for a 100 mil deal some where but if no one willling to pay that by ST, he someone the cubs could swoop in on and offer up a nice reasonable deal to nab him...

he be perfect to hold down CF and lead off until if and when almora is ready...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
CHICAGO -- Listening to Curtis Granderson eloquently speak about his free agency should at least give some hope to Cubs and White Sox fans alike.

Granderson, in conjunction with his Grand Kids Foundation, hosted the inaugural Grand-Giving Fundraiser to benefit The Greater Chicago Food Depository at John Barleycorn River North in downtown Chicago Wednesday night. Before the festivities that welcomed more than 1,000 people into the establishment began, the left-handed-hitting outfielder addressed what was important to him in this current search process.

The 32-year-old native of Lynwood, Ill., a south suburb of Chicago, listed taking care of his family and feeling comfortable in his home away from home as two important factors in picking a new team. Granderson also talked about wanting to win a World Series championship, pointing out that he hasn't been back to the Fall Classic since 2006 with Detroit.

When he was asked how his two hometown teams stay in consideration despite not looking like prime playoff contenders at this time, Granderson spoke in great detail of how organizations can change from year to year in the modern times of Major League Baseball.

"Those days from probably 10 to 15 years ago of teams that were consistently bad year in and year out have kind of gone away," said the upbeat Granderson. "Case in point, the Detroit Tigers when I played for them. Throughout the Minor Leagues, the organization up top was not necessarily the best. Then we make the World Series in 2006, they get back there two seasons ago and have done a lot of amazing things.

"Boston Red Sox go from worst [in 2012] to first [in 2013]. The Kansas City Royals, the Cleveland Indians, the Pittsburgh Pirates: getting their first winning season and getting to the postseason. Everything is a possibility and has the ability to turn around quite quickly, as long as organizations continue to do things in their Minor League system and go ahead and get a piece here and there with free agency and trades. Every team is an option."

Adding Granderson would be a boon for any team, when factoring in the 84 homers he launched combined during the 2011 and '12 seasons, not to mention the fact that he feels healthy and ready to play any spot in the outfield. His desire to give back to the community and his high character and outgoing nature make him a clubhouse-plus for rebuilding teams such as the Cubs or the White Sox.

But the fact that these teams are rebuilding, coupled with Granderson being offered a qualifying offer by the Yankees and then turning it down, might eventually eliminate the chance of making his first home also his second baseball home. The White Sox have placed the First-Year Player Draft as one of their top line items on the '14 budget and don't currently seem inclined to lose a second-round pick for three or even four years of Granderson. The same apparently holds true for the Cubs.

Many players choose to separate work and home, but Granderson is keeping all of his options open. And he points to Derrick Rose's rise from Simeon High School in Chicago to the NBA Most Valuable Player with the Chicago Bulls as an example that this combination works.

"He's won a high school championship here and then comes back and ends up being the MVP and bringing the Bulls to the playoffs," said Granderson of Rose, with Granderson also having played his collegiate baseball at the University of Illinois-Chicago. "I admire him being able to separate business and friends and family and be able to go out there and produce.

"I'm sure his friends and family realize it's a job. Sometimes it's difficult to do those different things when it is at your home base. It's been a learning curve to come from my first year in 2004 to where I stand in front of you now in 2013. It's something to consider again."

There's no timetable for Granderson, aside from finding the right fit. If that happens in the next week or so, he won't delay the decision. He also won't rush the process.

Wednesday's energy was primarily focused on Granderson's charity event, also attended by athletes such as Bears linebacker Lance Briggs and former Bears offensive lineman James "Big Cat" Williams. His Grand Kids Foundation will launch a series of Chicago-based community programs, beginning with this benefit.

"I think about how I got to where I am today. Outside of my mom and dad, who are very instrumental in my life, I think about the number of other people who have helped me out along the way and shaped me as an individual," said Granderson, who listed his baseball coaches at Thornton Fractional South High School as just two of those influences. "Not even as a player. The fact that they got me to work hard, learn how to fail, learn how to set goals, achieve them.

"Now I'm in a situation where I can finally give back in numerous different ways. Education has always been very important to me. That's the reason why Grand Kids was established. Baseball has given me an opportunity to do some amazing things."

CSF77

Liked Posts:
ya know; I like him. He makes a good point. Teams can change very fast now a days vs the 10-15 year ago model from the past.

Thinking it over, If Olt, Rizzo and Castro bounce back and they add a proven 40 HR threat like Grandyman the team could be pretty good next year and that is not even getting into what is upwelling.

It may be worth giving up a 2nd round pick, that may never make it anyway.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think of it like this:

Sign Grandy and lose 2nd round pick. then trade out Schierholtz for some teams 8-10 ranked player. Ends up being a wash. Grandy > Schierholtz. Puts the Cubs ahead.

Line up: Castro(SS), (2B mix), Rizzo(1B), Olt(3B), Granderson (CF), Lake (LF), Sweeney (RF), Castillo (c) Still have Baez and Alcantara in AAA and Bryant and Soler in AA. The team could be looking at a very quick turn over.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think of it like this:

Sign Grandy and lose 2nd round pick. then trade out Schierholtz for some teams 8-10 ranked player. Ends up being a wash. Grandy > Schierholtz. Puts the Cubs ahead.

Line up: Castro(SS), (2B mix), Rizzo(1B), Olt(3B), Granderson (CF), Lake (LF), Sweeney (RF), Castillo (c) Still have Baez and Alcantara in AAA and Bryant and Soler in AA. The team could be looking at a very quick turn over.

Except for the little fact where Schierholtz is making less than half of Granderson...