Cubs Face Big time trade decisions

Explore trading Castro

• Total voters

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Not always. Teams dont trade 22 y/o SS who hit .300 in first 2 seasons in MLB.

if enticing offers are available for areas needed in the farm(pitching) do you just completely disregard the idea superficially because castro is young? what if he completely falls off next year or gets a horrible injury or some other circumstance which is not completely out of the realm of possibility? what if those prospects that were offered become good foundations in other systems while the cubs struggle in that regard because they didnt consider the idea?

look the dude is a good player...i think he can be a star..superstar? we get into subjectivity but i dont think he's an MVP guy or anything or that caliber

as outlined, he needs work defensively and with patience(the fact that he doesnt have great discipline on the plate is counter productive to his attributed hitting)...he needs to work on power(and no, i dont mean just home runs)

this is not an argument about whether or not castro should be traded..i mean are there any definite(and in addition enticing) offers for castro at this point?

this is about exploring the possibility of having castro available because he is one of the if not the most valuable player on the team(on a terrible team albeit and that itself is the point)

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
if enticing offers are available for areas needed in the farm(pitching) do you just completely disregard the idea superficially because castro is young? what if he completely falls off next year or gets a horrible injury or some other circumstance which is not completely out of the realm of possibility? what if those prospects that were offered become good foundations in other systems while the cubs struggle in that regard because they didnt consider the idea?

look the dude is a good player...i think he can be a star..superstar? we get into subjectivity but i dont think he's an MVP guy or anything or that caliber

as outlined, he needs work defensively and with patience(the fact that he doesnt have great discipline on the plate is counter productive to his attributed hitting)...he needs to work on power(and no, i dont mean just home runs)

this is not an argument about whether or not castro should be traded..i mean are there any definite(and in addition enticing) offers for castro at this point?

this is about exploring the possibility of having castro available because he is one of the if not the most valuable player on the team(on a terrible team albeit and that itself is the point)

Cue Michael Pineda trade :smug:

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I voted no simply based on this season.
So under no circumstances this season you would even LISTEN to offers for Castro?

I find that rather dumb.

For example if Atlanta came to you with a trade involving:
Castro for pick two of(SP Julio Teheran/SP Arodys Vizcaino/ SP Randall Delgado/SP Sean Gilmartin) and either SS Andrelton Simmons or SS Tyler Pastornicky

Or if Seattle came to you with a trade involving:
Castro for pick two of (SP Taijuan Walker/SP Danny Hultzen/SP James Paxton) and SS Brad Miller

You wouldn't even be willing to listen?

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castro is my favorite Cub, but I would listen. As a GM, you have to listen to every player. But I don't think the Cubs will get what they should/want. So ... I say no, he won't get traded.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
So under no circumstances this season you would even LISTEN to offers for Castro?

I find that rather dumb.

For example if Atlanta came to you with a trade involving:
Castro for pick two of(SP Julio Teheran/SP Arodys Vizcaino/ SP Randall Delgado/SP Sean Gilmartin) and either SS Andrelton Simmons or SS Tyler Pastornicky

Or if Seattle came to you with a trade involving:
Castro for pick two of (SP Taijuan Walker/SP Danny Hultzen/SP James Paxton) and SS Brad Miller

You wouldn't even be willing to listen?

Well, obviously if a team came with a package that included two top-tier prospects, then yes, the Cubs certainly would have to consider it. To me, I'd imagine an up-and-coming team, like Atlanta or Toronto, would be more willing to add to their major league roster, especially with Castro being so young and not even being arbitration eligible yet. With their farm systems being so deep, it wouldn't be as detrimental to trade away some of their prospects.

But like I had mentioned in my first post, Theo ultimately has to decide if Castro is the kind of player you can place at the center of your franchise. Certainly right now, he's the Cubs best player, and also their greatest asset. With their attendance dipping and them currently having the worst record in baseball, fans need to have SOME reason to go to Wrigley.

IMO, we've got to wait until after the draft in order to assess if it's really worth looking to trade him this year. We've got the 6th, 43rd and 56th picks, so if we're able to add some more pitching depth and maybe some firepower at a few premium positions, then trading Castro to further that development would make a lot more sense.

To be honest with you know, I truly have no idea what his value is. A 22-year-old contact hitter with spotty discipline and horrific defense who's under team control for 4 more seasons. A guy who's proven he can hit major league pitching and play at the most important spot in the infield.... but who's so bad defensively that it just seems like conventional wisdom at this point that he has to change positions. It's like he raises his value with the offensive upside, then drops it back down with the glove made of concrete.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, obviously if a team came with a package that included two top-tier prospects, then yes, the Cubs certainly would have to consider it.
That was kind of the basis for the poll question I asked based on the article I posted.

:smug:

And you voted "No".

:smh:

To be honest with you know, I truly have no idea what his value is. A 22-year-old contact hitter with spotty discipline and horrific defense who's under team control for 4 more seasons. A guy who's proven he can hit major league pitching and play at the most important spot in the infield.... but who's so bad defensively that it just seems like conventional wisdom at this point that he has to change positions. It's like he raises his value with the offensive upside, then drops it back down with the glove made of concrete.

I don't either. I was just using the initial post/article as a basis.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Another reason why I feel like the Cubs won't get too serious in Castro talks is because over the last few seasons, teams have been a bit more protective of their minor league assets. For that reason, it would seem like a lot more teams would be less willing to shell out two A-grade or one A-grade and two B-grade prospects for a guy whose game isn't fully developed yet. If Castro was that Jeter-type many of us think he can turn into, than I think trade talks would develop into much more than tire kicking and phone tag.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
That was kind of the basis for the poll question I asked based on the article I posted.

And you voted "No".

:smh:

I don't either. I was just using the initial post/article as a basis.

Prospects kind of scare me. We root for the Cubs, remember? :lol:

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yeah but we actually have a FO with a clue now.

Yeah, but if #rickettscheap..... :smug2:

Totally kidding. Unlike a lot of people on here, I have 100% faith in Theo. Anyone who thought this team wouldn't be horrific this year has no idea on how to piece together a baseball franchise. I mean, the guy did win two World Series and run a competitive team for nearly 10 years. The only really indefensible move he made was the Crawford contract. In the end, I just think it was a panic move because he felt like he had to do something on top of acquiring Adrian Gonzalez.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Totally kidding. Unlike a lot of people on here, I have 100% faith in Theo. Anyone who thought this team wouldn't be horrific this year has no idea on how to piece together a baseball franchise. I mean, the guy did win two World Series and run a competitive team for nearly 10 years. The only really indefensible move he made was the Crawford contract. In the end, I just think it was a panic move because he felt like he had to do something on top of acquiring Adrian Gonzalez.

Don't have to tell me.

I'm a Red Sox fan first and foremost.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:

Have to remember though he fell into great situation in BOS. He came into a team that had won 90+ 2 yrs in row before he came there. He didnt have to rebuild the team. He just had to manage it. You or i have no idea if he can start from scratch. Im very hopefull like you guys but to say 100% is just not smart.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Have to remember though he fell into great situation in BOS. He came into a team that had won 90+ 2 yrs in row before he came there.
Umm...

No he didn't.

The three years before Epstein was named GM: 85,82, and 93 wins.

He didnt have to rebuild the team.
Umm..

Please STFU.

Epstein brought in guys like: Ortiz, Millar, Schilling, Bill Mueller, Orlando Cabrera, Doug Mientkiewicz, Mark Bellhorn, Pokey Reese. Who were all instrumental in that 2004 run. He basically completely re-tooled the pitching staff in two seasons. He also hired Francona.

For the 2007 team he re-tooled again. You saw Ellsbury come up, Pedroia, Youklilis was the starter, Crisp was a key. Lowell was brought in. JD Drew was huge in the playoffs. Another re-tooled pitching staff/bullpen.

You clearly have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Umm...

No he didn't.

The three years before Epstein was named GM: 85,82, and 93 wins.

Umm..

Please STFU.

Epstein brought in guys like: Ortiz, Millar, Schilling, Bill Mueller, Orlando Cabrera, Doug Mientkiewicz, Mark Bellhorn, Pokey Reese. Who were all instrumental in that 2004 run. He basically completely re-tooled the pitching staff in two seasons. He also hired Francona.

For the 2007 team he re-tooled again. You saw Ellsbury come up, Pedroia, Youklilis was the starter, Crisp was a key. Lowell was brought in. JD Drew was huge in the playoffs. Another re-tooled pitching staff/bullpen.

You clearly have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

He still took a team that has 90+ wins. Cubs havent seen 75+ in 3 yrs.

you STFU you tool

He brought in pieces. He didnt rebuild the whole team like he has to do with the Cubs. He even admitted he just had to maintain the team. Thats why he was ready for a new challenge. So :angryfinger:

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He still took a team that has 90+ wins. Cubs havent seen 75+ in 3 yrs.

you STFU you tool
Yawn.

Your entire "analysis" of Theo building two WS winners in Boston was awful.

Don't get pissy with me just because you're Special person.

He didnt rebuild the whole team
Umm yeah, he pretty much did.

You look at the 2002 roster. Then look at 2004..then at 2007..vastly different.

Keep on blabbering off at the mouth though about things you have no clue about.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty typical d3a posting and response.

Say something completely incorrect/illogical/borderline Special person.

Get pissy when he's shown his statement(s) are incorrect/illogical/borderline Special person.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think even if Epstein had a good core to build around, you have to at least give him credit for bringing in the right pieces via trade, draft or signing and maintaining the course. Even the Dice-K signing looked good until his arm exploded. If Carl Crawford hadn't forgotten how to play baseball and various other pitchers hadn't been hurt, Epstein isn't even available to the Cubs this season (or at least he's less likely to leave).

Just my opinion though.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think even if Epstein had a good core to build around, you have to at least give him credit for bringing in the right pieces via trade, draft or signing and maintaining the course. Even the Dice-K signing looked good until his arm exploded. If Carl Crawford hadn't forgotten how to play baseball and various other pitchers hadn't been hurt, Epstein isn't even available to the Cubs this season (or at least he's less likely to leave).

Just my opinion though.

I agree he brought in the right pieces. Im not saying he didnt. For FT to think that he rebuilt the team is just :turrible: He never had to rebuild an organization. He just had to bring in the last pieces and maintain the team. FT till you learn baseball please for everyone here just leave

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Typical FT thinking he knows anything about baseball. Taking over a 93 win team is rebuilding? No wonder his name is First timer. Everything he talks about he acts like its his first time

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts: