Cubs have 7th best bullpen

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Even Kieth Law said that the Cubs better prospects were at the bottom level in the minors and most likely a couple years away. This is to be expected as the Cubs obviously concentrated on bats when rebuilding the last few years. The Cubs built the #1 farm system consisting of bats at just about every position deep. They could absolutely use these to get more pitching as well.

They now have a pretty good starting rotation, say what you want about experience...blah, blah, blah. As the OP suggests, they have a pretty good bullpen now as well, with a top backend of the bullpen. They also are showing that they will add more starting pitching moving forward.

All this gives the Cubs the next few years to build the farm system up with quality pitching as well. Keep on downplaying what the Cubs are doing, but they had a gameplan, and they are doing a fantastic job. Time will tell about some of their young pitching prospects, but there are people that think they are there now, with more to come.
FTR Keith Law things Tseng is a career minor leaguer.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Armando Rivero for one. He had a 2.22 ERA in the minors. He pitched 65.1 innings and had a 100 K's. He had a 3.57 SO/W ratio.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=rivero000arm

That guy? He's getting a touch long in the tooth and you're banking on one year? Come on now. The Cubs need work and they can do just that in the next two drafts. It's not a crime to say that.

Do you know anything about him? I suggest do some research. Then, there is Corey Black who will probably end up in the bullpen that can touch a 100 on the gun. CJ Edwards could wind up in the bullpen. Our bullpen is already deep in power arms. Im not including the others that have been up or down. The Cubs have bullpen arms. They need TOR arms which no one is denying.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Armando Rivero for one. He had a 2.22 ERA in the minors. He pitched 65.1 innings and had a 100 K's. He had a 3.57 SO/W ratio.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=rivero000arm

That guy? He's getting a touch long in the tooth and you're banking on one year? Come on now. The Cubs need work and they can do just that in the next two drafts. It's not a crime to say that.

He one year younger than Abreu. :dunno:

-----------------------

It's pretty obviously that the Cubs will build pitching in the next couple years since Theo has pretty much said that. Oh yeah, and since they've completed building the the #1 farm system in baseball full of young hitting prospects.

The point is that they do have some young pitching prospects as well, and a lot of them throw with high velocity.

Keith Law likes the pitching prospects in the Cubs system that is “led by 20-year old Duane Underwood, but they are a few years away.”

Duane Underwood, RHP: Age 20, posted 2.50 ERA with 84/36 K/BB in 101 innings in Low-A, 85 hits. Can get into mid-90s, making progress with curveball and change-up, another guy who can be a number three starter with good health and typical development.

Armando Rivero, RHP: Age 26, Cuban defector, thrived in high minors (1.56 ERA, 54/16 K/BB in 35 innings in Double-A, 2.97 ERA with 46/12 K/BB in 30 innings in Triple-A) and ready for big league trial. Another hard thrower with some command wobbles but considerable bullpen upside.

Corey Black, RHP: Age 23, posted 3.47 ERA with 119/71 K/BB in 124 innings in Double-A. Acquired from Yankees in 2013 for Alfonso Soriano. Stuff can be explosive, but command still work-in-progress. Very athletic.

Carson Sands, LHP: Age 19, fourth-round pick but a second-round talent who fell a little due to signability concerns, looked good in rookie ball (1.89 ERA, 20/7 K/BB in 19 innings) and has number three starter upside with potential for three big league pitches.

----------------

Oh yeah, and as you pointed out, the Cubs also traded away some pitching prospects to bring in La Stella and Montero. :dunno:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
He one year younger than Abreu. :dunno:

-----------------------

It's pretty obviously that the Cubs will build pitching in the next couple years since Theo has pretty much said that. Oh yeah, and since they've completed building the the #1 farm system in baseball full of young hitting prospects.

The point is that they do have some young pitching prospects as well, and a lot of them throw with high velocity.

Duane Underwood, RHP: Age 20, posted 2.50 ERA with 84/36 K/BB in 101 innings in Low-A, 85 hits. Can get into mid-90s, making progress with curveball and change-up, another guy who can be a number three starter with good health and typical development.

Armando Rivero, RHP: Age 26, Cuban defector, thrived in high minors (1.56 ERA, 54/16 K/BB in 35 innings in Double-A, 2.97 ERA with 46/12 K/BB in 30 innings in Triple-A) and ready for big league trial. Another hard thrower with some command wobbles but considerable bullpen upside.

Corey Black, RHP: Age 23, posted 3.47 ERA with 119/71 K/BB in 124 innings in Double-A. Acquired from Yankees in 2013 for Alfonso Soriano. Stuff can be explosive, but command still work-in-progress. Very athletic.

Carson Sands, LHP: Age 19, fourth-round pick but a second-round talent who fell a little due to signability concerns, looked good in rookie ball (1.89 ERA, 20/7 K/BB in 19 innings) and has number three starter upside with potential for three big league pitches.

----------------

Oh yeah, and as you pointed out, the Cubs also traded away some pitching prospects to bring in La Stella and Montero. :dunno:

SO nothing in 2015/16 except maybe a flier on Rivero. Gotcha.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
What's wrong with you, man? No one said the Cubs were bringing up a bunch of pitching prospects this year or next. They will be too busy bringing up top hitting prospects. And while the Cubs have been busy building the #1 farm system full of hitting prospects, they have assembled a pretty good fuckin major league pitching staff in the mean time.

The starting rotation is now very respectable including a true ace in Lester. The Bullpen is as good as most teams, ranked #7 according to this thread. The closers in the pen are among the best. The Cubs still might add another starter this year, but they certainly will have the money to next year. Oh, and we'll still have a pretty good draft pick to start adding pitching this year, of course, not as good a pick as the Sox.

And your big point is that the Cubs are not bringing up pitching prospects this year? :smh: I can't wait for the season to start!

NO.NAMEPOSBATTHWAGEHTWTBIRTH PLACESALARY
49Jake ArrietaSPRR286-4225Farmington, MO$544,500
32Dallas BeelerSPRR256-5210Tulsa, OKN/A
--Drake BrittonSPLL256-2215Waco, TXN/A
22Felix DoubrontSPLL276-2225Carabobo, Venezuela$586,000
--C.J. EdwardsSPRR236-2155Newberry, SCN/A
52Justin GrimmRPRR266-3210Bristol, TN$505,500
--Jason HammelSPRR326-6225Greenville, SC$6,000,000
28Kyle HendricksSPRR256-3190Newport Beach, CAN/A
36Edwin JacksonSPRR316-3210Neu-Ulm, West Germany$13,000,000
43Eric JokischSPRL256-2185Virginia, ILN/A
--Jon LesterSPLL316-4240Tacoma, WA$13,000,000
55James McDonaldSPLR306-5205Long Beach, CA$1,000,000
--Jason MotteRPRR326-0200Port Huron, MI$7,500,000
--Joe OrtizRPLL245-7175Caracas, Venezuela$504,112
50Blake ParkerRPRR296-3225Fayetteville, AR$500,000
54Neil RamirezRPRR256-4190Virginia Beach, VAN/A
56Hector RondonRPRR266-3180Guatire, Venezuela$514,000
59Zac RosscupRPLL266-2205Clackamas, ORN/A
63Brian SchlitterRPRR296-5235Oak Park, ILN/A
46Pedro StropRPRR296-1220San Cristobal, Dominican Republic$1,325,000
38Jacob TurnerSPRR236-5216Saint Charles, MO$1,000,000
67Tsuyoshi WadaSPLL335-11180Izumo, JapanN/A
37Travis WoodSPRL285-11175Little Rock, AR$3,900,000

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
What's wrong with you, man? No one said the Cubs were bringing up a bunch of pitching prospects this year or next.
Except that was essentially the basis for this particular portion of the thread conversation. It's not shocking that you missed it.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
We have at least 3 or 4 options in the minors that could back up the bullpen if need be. Did no one read beckdawg thread? Our bullpen is going to be one of our strong points.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Except that was essentially the basis for this particular portion of the thread conversation. It's not shocking that you missed it.

You mean the part where you derailed the thread about the Cubs bullpen and made your snide remarks about the minors all over one small cherry picked comment? :smh: You're worse than the Sox fans.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Ah. we've got a dislike-repper in the house called Bear Pride.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Ah. we've got a dislike-repper in the house called Bear Pride.

The first time I disliked anyone cuz you said you were not going to respond to me anymore, but couldn't keep your word. Liar. And that means not calling me out in post to other posters as well.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The first time I disliked anyone cuz you said you were not going to respond to me anymore, but couldn't keep your word. Liar. And that means not calling me out in post to other posters as well.
Quoted so you can't delete it.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
What's wrong with you, man? No one said the Cubs were bringing up a bunch of pitching prospects this year or next. They will be too busy bringing up top hitting prospects. And while the Cubs have been busy building the #1 farm system full of hitting prospects, they have assembled a pretty good fuckin major league pitching staff in the mean time.

The starting rotation is now very respectable including a true ace in Lester. The Bullpen is as good as most teams, ranked #7 according to this thread. The closers in the pen are among the best. The Cubs still might add another starter this year, but they certainly will have the money to next year. Oh, and we'll still have a pretty good draft pick to start adding pitching this year, of course, not as good a pick as the Sox.

And your big point is that the Cubs are not bringing up pitching prospects this year? :smh: I can't wait for the season to start!

Who was the guy who told me there were no meatballs on this board?

A pretty fuckin good rotation? Lester? Okay. He's good. Arrieta? Uhhhhh okay. He looks promising based on last year. Hammel? Uhhhhh no. An unknown toss up for the 4 and 5 spots? Not the sign of 'pretty fuckin good.'

The cubs maybe have the 3rd best rotation in the NL Central.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Quoted so you can't delete it.

Ooooh, I'm terrified. You're nothing but a little bitch to me little man. I don't really give a fuck what you think of me or what you say. I know what kind of person you are and it makes me laugh. I simply asked you to stop responding to me, and you called me out in other posts I wasn't even involved in. Take the splinters out of your ass and quit brown nosing the coach.