Cubs "Not Motivated" to Trade Pena

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
@MattSpiegel670
Matt Spiegel Believing that this team will compete next year,& therefore not dealing ANYONE who won't be a part of your 2013 core,is foolish & maddening.

AGREED 100%

joe_sheehan
Joe Sheehan I wonder if Jim Hendry will take a moment from planning the #Cubs' 2012 Division Series rotation to consider today's festivities in STL.

Cubs are just a joke to everyone else

Weren't you agreeing with me earlier that this team could compete next year with a couple big acquisitions?

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Weren't you agreeing with me earlier that this team could compete next year with a couple big acquisitions?

I agree with you. Its just sad that Cubs are the laughing stock of baseball. They are a punch line for every one lol

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Hendry's track record in trades isn't bad. I wouldn't say it is great, but it isn't terrible either. The problem has been Jim Hendry signing guys with the blank checkbook a few years back. That is what has put this team in the position it is now.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hendry's track record in trades isn't bad. I wouldn't say it is great, but it isn't terrible either. The problem has been Jim Hendry signing guys with the blank checkbook a few years back. That is what has put this team in the position it is now.

I believe a lot of you guys still hang onto the Aramis trade and forget the rest of the moves he has made VIA trade and FA.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe a lot of you guys still hang onto the Aramis trade and forget the rest of the moves he has made VIA trade and FA.

i actually think Hendry has won alot of trades. D-Lee deal (gave up Hee Sop Choi LMAO), Nomar (didnt give up anything) Rich Harden (didnt give up anything), Garza (i still say Cubs won that deal, only spec doing anything is Hak Ju Lee, while Garza still can be a top of line SP for Cubs in the next 5 years), as you said A-ram deal, Now FA is a different story.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

I can't really think of many trades that have come back to bite the Cubs. He hasn't hit many homeruns like the Aramis Ramirez trade, Hundley for Grudzilenak and Karros, or the DLee trade, but I don't know that he has made many terrible trades either since then. If you've got one that I've blocked out I will be glad to hear it.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
And there is no doubt that Hendry in free agency has sucked. The only contract that worked out for him in free agency has been the Ted Lilly deal. I guess you can add Ryan Dempster to the list but seems like a different category since he was an injury reclamation project.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah guys Ive said this for awhile..

Just because he raped a Pirates organization in 2003 has little to relate to the current Cubs team except Aramis still being here (for how long?)

He's made that one good move..

Compared to a bunch of bad moves.

Soriano (contract), Bradley, Grabow, Cotts, Neifi.. on and on.

It's time to change.

Just the fact.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't really think of many trades that have come back to bite the Cubs. He hasn't hit many homeruns like the Aramis Ramirez trade, Hundley for Grudzilenak and Karros, or the DLee trade, but I don't know that he has made many terrible trades either since then. If you've got one that I've blocked out I will be glad to hear it.

I dont have all his moves memorized, but as a whole he is a bad GM. He may be better at trades than FAs, but as a GM...just bad.

People who like the Garza deal need to put the pipe down. Garza has been good, but JH got fleeced. Sure he is cheap etc, but he wont be starting any WS games anytime soon. Fuke got dealt, and the Indians walked into Wrigley with the president masks on with water guns in hand and said "stick em up" Fuke should have netted a much better deal than that garbage.

Sure, the karros GRud deals were good, again that was back in the 2003 era.

nomar garciaparra did nothing to help the cubs.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont have all his moves memorized, but as a whole he is a bad GM. He may be better at trades than FAs, but as a GM...just bad.

People who like the Garza deal need to put the pipe down. Garza has been good, but JH got fleeced. Sure he is cheap etc, but he wont be starting any WS games anytime soon. Fuke got dealt, and the Indians walked into Wrigley with the president masks on with water guns in hand and said "stick em up" Fuke should have netted a much better deal than that garbage.

Sure, the karros GRud deals were good, again that was back in the 2003 era.

nomar garciaparra did nothing to help the cubs.

Where did any of us say he was good GM? We all acknowledge that he has been terrible at free agency, and most of us don't like his focus on positional players' tools. I just can't think of many deals that were terrible for the team. Your assessment of the Garza deal seems to be that the Cubs are doomed to be terrible for the next decade so therefore it was a bad trade. And similar to the Garicapara deal that because the Cubs choked in 04 that it was bad to add a top offensive SS at the time.

All some of us have suggested is that more often than not the Cubs have been made a better team than not through trades. That doesn't make Jim Hendry a good GM or a GM we want to keep, but the guy isn't a complete fool (as much as I disagree with a number of moves he has made).

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
That is the worse move and just because of that, Hendry will be gone after season. Should be gone on Aug 1st.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
@Buster_ESPN Cubs informing other teams that they will not trade Carlos Pena before the deadline. #trades

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
That is the worse move and just because of that, Hendry will be gone after season. Should be gone on Aug 1st.
not-sure-if-serious.jpg

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nah this shoulda been a active deadline but it's not and it's for the worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.