Cubs Pondering Long-Term Deal For Samardzija

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Like UMan said, we definitely need to wait at least one more year and see if Shark can replicate last season. His ceiling seems to be a #3 starter, but as we all know, teams drastically overpay middle-of-the-road pitchers all the time because they know they can be few and far between. At this point, giving him a contract along the lines of a 5-year, $50 million dollar deal would turn my stomach.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Me blogged about a possible Scott Baker/Ryan Vogelsong type extension that would save a bit of $ during the arb years and not be completely insane, but I'd go year-to-year until he shows the production is sustainable.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Another factor that gets mentioned is that Shark got a lot o money early on in his major league deal. So the buy out tyre.cheap years at savings later doesn't appeal as much to him as say Castro who didn't get that big initial investment.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The article I just linked to above had an interview from Samardzija after Castro got the extension suggesting that Jeff was okay financially and didn't mind just waiting and seeing.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
The article I just linked to above had an interview from Samardzija after Castro got the extension suggesting that Jeff was okay financially and didn't mind just waiting and seeing.

Jeff's a cool dude. :cool:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agree with you guys up top. Like to see him do it again 1 more year.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
He needs to be executed for hitting Konerko.

Don't bother locking him up long term unless its in a prison cell.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
He needs to be executed for hitting Konerko.

Don't bother locking him up long term unless its in a prison cell.

Yeah I know you are trolling, but that couldn't have been more clear cut accidental beaning given the situation and pitch.

I wouldn't mind the Cubs trying to buy a year of free agency now, but it seems unlikely that Shark would be willing to give much of a discount since he already has a fair bit in the bank.