Cub's Prospect Watch And Development Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Jason Parks
‏@ProfessorParks
Both could be all-stars; Baez could be a religion. RT @birenball @ProfessorParks Better big-league career: Baez or Correa?

And some think cubs fans are crazy about cubs prospects. Parks is one of the big guys at baseball prospectus. That said, I'm still personally worried about Baez's contact. Its something that if he gets fixed makes him into a true monster as a player. To put it into perspective Miggy Cabrera put up .268/.328/.382 with 76 k's in 465 PAs in A. Hie put up .274/.333/.421 with 85 K's in 489 PAs at A+. And finally he put up .365/.429/.609 with 49 k's in 303 PAs at AA. Those were his 18-20 years. Baez in A hit .333/.383/.596 with 48 K's in 235 PAs at A. Baez in A+ hit .256/.319/.507 with 99 K's in 423 PAs at A+. And in AA Baez hit .294/.346/.638 with 69 K's in 240 PAs.

Baez appears to be about a half season behind where Cabrera was in terms of league. Baez has slugged considerably better. In the case of Cabrera he made a pretty staggering adjustment between A+ and AA going from .274 average to .365. If Baez makes that adjustment this year or even a marginal improvement there the fact that he slugs better than Cabrera is a bit scary.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Keith Law Rankings
Chicago Cubs

Org rank: 4

1. Javier Baez, SS (7)
2. Kris Bryant, 3B (15)
3. Jorge Soler, OF (26)
4. Albert Almora, CF (28)
5. C.J. Edwards, RHP (67)
6. A. Alcantara, 2B (71)
7. Pierce Johnson, RHP
8. Jaimer Candelario, 3B
9. Corey Black, RHP
10. Arodys Vizcaino, RHP

Farm system overview

The Cubs' collection of offensive prospects is extremely impressive, with three high-impact bats at the top of the system, followed by two guys who can contribute on both sides of the ball.

Javier Baez, Kris Bryant, and Jorge Soler all look like stars; Baez has the explosive bat speed to be a guy who hits for average and power, and he can play somewhere in the middle infield, even if the Cubs don't have room for him there. Soler has the biggest risk, although some of that is because he missed so much of 2013 after breaking his leg; I think everyone, the Cubs included, would feel more confident if he had played a full summer and continued to show gradual improvement.

They're still light on arms; C.J. Edwards and Pierce Johnson are the only pitchers in the system I'd project as more than fifth starters, and neither looks like a potential ace or strong No. 2. That said, they did load up on pitching in the 2013 draft, and lefty Rob Zastryzny (No. 11 in the system) could grow into a third or fourth starter role, while right-handers Scott Frazier (No. 13), Tyler Skulina (No. 14), and Trey Masek are all current starters who could go either way but are now more likely to head for the pen.

Corey Black is an interesting case, built like a reliever, aggressive like one as well, but he'll at least show four pitches, two of them plus, and I would at least let him start a little longer before conceding the point. Eloy Jimenez (No.12), the 17-year-old jewel of the July 2 international signing class from last year, is all fantasy at this point, a kid with a huge, projectable frame as well as the swing to eventually have 30-35 homer power.

2014 impact

Arismendy Alcantara probably starts the year in Triple-A, but I think he's an upgrade over Darwin Barney right now, an above-average defender at second who can actually hit. Baez should make his major league debut this summer, although the position is up in the air and depends on Alcantara's arrival and whether Starlin Castro gets his head on straight.

The fallen

Mike Olt's vision problems have put his career on hold, in practical terms; if you can't see, you can't hit or field, and until he and his doctors find a solution, he won't be able to produce on the field. Arodyz Vizcaino missed his second straight year due to arm problems, and Juan Carlos Paniagua fell apart once he got past visa problems and managed to take the mound, trying too hard to guide the ball for strikes instead of just airing it out.

Sleeper

Jimenez is more likely to show up on the 2016 top 100 than the 2015 one; for next year's list, we're more likely to see Jaimer Candelario, who has been on the fringes of my top 100 for two years now. He's a mediocre defender at third, but his bat has a chance to be special -- he has a fluid swing, stays inside the ball well, and has shown doubles power to both gaps already at age 19.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/ ... m-2014-mlb

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Scout ranks Cubs top 25 prospects

By Tom Loxas, today at 3:21 am

We have heard from just about all of the scouting experts regarding the Cubs system, including player rankings.

A scout contact of mine was kind enough to share his thoughts and some notes regarding the Cubs system.

Here is his Cubs top 25 prospect list.

1. Javier Baez SS

Baez has the highest ceiling of any of the Cubs prospects. Elite bat speed with elite power. Gets a bad rap on defense at SS, more than capable of handling.

Future Hall of Fame type player or .235 hitter that hits 35HR? A lot has to do with how his approach develops from this point on.

2. Kris Bryant 3B

Very interesting player in both his ceiling and floor very high. The difference is can he cut down the strikeouts? No doubt can be a 35+ HR but is he a 265-275 hitter or 285-295 hitter?

Saw in Daytona last year and really didn’t understand the concern about him at 3B. Moved very well for his size and there is no doubt he has the arm strength. Others will have more to do whether he stays there or goes to the OF.

3. Albert Almora OF

Almora is my favorite on this list, doesn’t have any plus offensive tools but all of them are above average. Hit tool could even be a plus when all is said and done. Defensively, see a lot of hardware sitting on his shelf in a few years.

4. CJ Edwards RHP

Top of the rotation potential with an outstanding fastball and his slider isn’t too far behind. He showed improved control last year and a better feel for his change. The concern is inability to put on weight but, not as concerned because others have been able to overcome this problem.

5. Jorge Soler OF

Soler is biggest question mark of the big 4. Shows plus raw potential but will that translate to game power? Defensively shows the ability to handle RF with no problem at all. Concerned about his makeup, could be more of a culture thing then anything.

6. Arismedy Alcantara 2B

Alcantara to me is the most underrated on this list. Shows good hit, surprising power, good speed and exciting defensive possibility. He also has outstanding makeup. Could be one of those players that seek up on the league next year.

7. Pierce Johnson RHP

Johnson is another underrated player that doesn’t get enough attention. He is most likely a #3 but he shows the moxie of a #1. Very good fastball, an above average curve ball and an outstanding change up. He could become a #2 if everything clicks.

8. Daniel Vogelbach 1B

Big bat but no position. I love him him in the batter’s box, when not, things get a little scary. He shows the ability to be an outstanding hitter with power. Very slow on the bases and has hands of stone in the field. He is most likely trade bait or hope NL gets the DH.

9. Paul Blackburn RHP

Blackburn shows great potential and doesn’t really get a lot of play for the most part. I can see him hit mid 90s with good breaking ball and an excellent feel for a change up. This year is going to be a big year for him and he could turn into TOR.

10. Mike Olt 3B

Olt was a tricky one to rank because no one is sure if he is completely healthy. I am not even sure he knows. If healthy he could the Cubs starting 3B for a long time. Could be a gold glove 3B with 25 HR.

11. Jermier Candleario 3B

Hasn't really taken next step yet. Can see the potential offensively specially for a switch hitter. Can he stick at 3B? Very soft body and doesn’t seem to have the quick twitch that is needed for 3B. Can hit for a good average and shows above average power.

12. Duane Underwood RHP

Forgotten man in the 2011 draft, this kid (and he was a kid when he was drafted at 17) has exploitive stuff. Can hit high 90s with his FB and shows a curveball that can be plus, plus.

Negatives..needs to develop at least an average change up. Can he develop the command he need to reach his potential? If he can you are looking at a TOR. At least could be a power arm out of the bullpen.

13. Arodys Vizcaino RHP

Vizcaino stuff is without question elite but, can he stay healthy? Plus fastball and a plus curveball but, I don’t see him ever being in the rotation.

14. Christian Villanueva 3B

Not a big fan of Villanueva at 3B, don’t think he will ever have the power to justify him staying there. Would like to see him at 2B where his bat plays much better.

15. Jen-Ho Tseng RHP

Tseng haven't seen in person. From the scouts that have, every one of them believed is very underrated. Fastball that hits 96, potentially plus curve, potentially above average slider, and a CU that shows flashes of being a plus, plus pitch.

If everything goes right he could turn into a pure #1 but, may take some time.

16. Neil Ramirez RHP

Once a top 10 prospect in the Rangers system with a ceiling of a #2. His command never got to the level experts thought it would get to. He still has the potential to be a #4 or a power arm out of the pen.

17. Rob Zastryzny LHP

Has been clocked at 94, consistently changes speeds to keep off hitters off balance. He showed good command in college but hasn’t translated to his pro career yet, could ceiling out to be a #2.

18. Dillon Maples RHP

Maples and Underwood are very similar. Underwood ahead of Maples due to age. Maples has a mid-90s Fastball with good movement and a plus curve, still needs a CU and has problems with his command.

He could be a top of the rotation starter or a backend reliever. It all depends on command.

19. Tyler Skulina RHP

Power arm that still has projection. Fastball that sits in the low to mid 90s and a breaking ball that is an above average pitch. Still needs a changeup, has a very good feel for pitching and could still end up SP.

20. Corey Black RHP

5’11 pitcher that has a power arm. The question is will his size stop him from becoming a SP? Some pitchers have overcome this before. He has a mid-90s FB and a plus slider with a feel for a changeup. At very least could become a backend reliever.

21. Kyle Hendricks RHP

Hendricks is a pitcher you really wish you could love. He has outstanding command but only OK stuff. This limits his projection to a back of the rotation pitcher or reliever. He knows how to pitch so believe he will end up in the rotation.

22. Trey Martin OF

Under the radar type player. Excellent raw tools and ability to stick at CF. Shows average to above average tools across the board.

23. Eloy Jimenez OF

He was the big international signing this year. A ton of potential and could be an above average player across the board. Should be much higher on board next year.

24. Shawon Dunston Jr. OF

A speed demon with a great approach at the plate. Shows the ability to work counts and plus speed. Lacks power and that may keep him from becoming an everyday player. Shows plus tools in the OF that would make him an excellent 4th OF.

25. Scott Frazier RHP

Got to see a couple times in college over the last 2 years. Power arm with average secondary pitches. As he improves mechanics, could make him a force out of the pen.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Most of those names are familiar... but I seem to have missed the boat on Jen-Ho Tseng... does anyone have any more information on him?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Most of those names are familiar... but I seem to have missed the boat on Jen-Ho Tseng... does anyone have any more information on him?

Pretty sure he was signed as an IFA along the same timeliine as Eloy Jimenez

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yea, he was a IFA signing last year. He is only 19. He made Chinese WBC roster at the age of 18. Youngest on team. I havent seen video of him but he has a tremendous arm from what I read. He is also already 6'1 and 200 pounds so he could increase velocity if he gets some meat on him. He has a pause in his delivery and they say he pitches slow like Traschel from back in the day. I know he was on a lot of peoples list to keep your eye on. Hopefully, I see some of him this year.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yea, he was a IFA signing last year. He is only 19. He made Chinese WBC roster at the age of 18. Youngest on team. I havent seen video of him but he has a tremendous arm from what I read. He is also already 6'1 and 200 pounds so he could increase velocity if he gets some meat on him. He has a pause in his delivery and they say he pitches slow like Traschel from back in the day. I know he was on a lot of peoples list to keep your eye on. Hopefully, I see some of him this year.

Well you must be Chinese if you consider Taiwan part of China :rimshot:

This has information on him when the Cubs signed him, but also has some video of his delivery. He is worth getting a little more excited about out of the IFAs because he should be playing stateside this year. Probably even should be in full season ball this year.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Of the Cubs' top prospects, who's the biggest lock to be a star and who has the biggest bust potential?
-- Joe A., Garner, N.C.

Jim Callis: The Cubs placed seven players in the Top 100, tying the Astros for the second-most and trailing only the Red Sox, who had nine on the list. Chicago's magnificent seven: shortstop Javier Baez (No. 7), third baseman Kris Bryant (No. 9), outfielder Albert Almora (No. 18), right-hander C.J. Edwards (No. 42), outfielder Jorge Soler (No. 49), middle infielder Arismendy Alcantara (89) and righty Pierce Johnson (100).

While Almora is the safest bet to be a solid big league regular, Baez is a better bet to be a star. He has the power to lead the National League in homers one day, and he'll either be an effective shortstop or a potential Gold Glove-caliber third baseman. His aggressiveness at the plate doesn't worry me too much because he's able to make consistent hard contact, even when he chases pitches out of the strike zone.

Soler has a huge ceiling as well -- his power rivals that of Baez and Bryant -- but comes with more risk than the other Cubs on the Top 100. Multiple scouts noted his lack of consistent effort in 2013, his first full pro season. He drew a five-game suspension in April for charging the opposing dugout with bat in hand, got benched later in the month for not running at full speed and continued to draw criticism for indifference in the Arizona Fall League.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chicago/chat/_/id/50037

Welcome to ESPNChicago.com! On Tuesday, Jesse Rogers stops by to chat about the Chicago Cubs' offseason.

Rogers joined ESPN Chicago in September 2009 and covers the Chicago Cubs for ESPNChicago.com and ESPN Radio 1000.

Send your questions now and join Rogers Tuesday at noon CT/1 p.m. ET!

More Jesse Rogers: Cubs blog | @ESPNChiCubs | ESPNChicago.com

Jesse Rogers (1:03 PM)

Hi all, welcome to our weekly Cubs chat from spring training now! Pitchers and catchers have been working out for about a week. Position players start tomorrow though most are here at the facility now. I'm sitting outside after watching the Cubs prac and play some basketball. Ryan Sweeney just beat Rizzo and Baez in a game of horse. Fire away with questions!
Jerry (Evanston)

Why won't the cubs let Alcantara try to beat out Barney for second base job?
Jesse Rogers (1:05 PM)

I talked to Theo Epstein about that concept during a podcast we taped this morning. It will be avail soon. They just feel there is a progression for players and he hasnt played above Double-A so he's not a finished product yet. Simple as that. I also talked to Alcantara and for what its worth it sounds like he knows he has some things to work on.
D.Knight peori,il [via mobile]

Mike Olt isnt getting as much talk as i thought he would.He was untouchable just a year ago, clearly his vision problems were affecting him, do you think he gets every chance possible to start 3b. I would think so.
Jesse Rogers (1:07 PM)

Depends what you mean by "every possible chance." He gets a chance, yes. But they arent going to be handing it to him. And you know what I mean by that. Some guys get jobs without good springs, etc. He needs to show it in all ways to win it. I dont think he's the favorite but production will tell the story.
Steve (Orlando)

Hey Jesse, do you think finishing .500 is realistic? That's what I'm hoping for as a fan. That would be a very successful year IMO. Thanks.
Jesse Rogers (1:07 PM)

Almost no chance...only way is if top prospects come up AND are lights out...even then, prob not enough.
Andrew (Chicago, IL)

Realistically, how many games do you see the Cubs winning this year? Over/Under 72?
Jesse Rogers (1:08 PM)

under
Al (Smith)

If Vizcaino stays healthy do you see him getting a chance to start in future season?
Jesse Rogers (1:09 PM)

Tough one. A chance? I suppose. Always would rather have a talent start then close but his arm problems might relegate him to the bullpen. If you're telling me he's back to where he was as a prospect then sure, he gets a chance but not until next year.
Rene [via mobile]

Any updates on Mike Olt? How's he looked? Thanks
Jesse Rogers (1:10 PM)

Too early. Position players aren't going through official drills. All on their own.
Tom (Southern California)

Jesse, Do you agree that if Castro and Rizzo don't have good season the Theo-Ned Plan takes a major back step backwards. To me Rizzo is the key for the plan to get a boost. Thank you for your time. Go Cubs!
Jesse Rogers (1:11 PM)

I assume you meant Jed. Yes, of course, any core player that takes a step back hurts the plan. No doubt.
Steve S (Batavia Ia)

Isnt the reality of this season that StL is so far ahead of the Cubs talent wise that no matter what the record is 7/1, team Theo will be forced to start flipping players for prospects?
Jesse Rogers (1:11 PM)

Probably.
Joe B (Oxford, CT)

Assuming Baez has a strong 1st half at Iowa, when do you project him being promoted to Chicago? Mid June like Rizzo was to keep another year of team control, July 1, post All Star break?
Jesse Rogers (1:12 PM)

Late June makes sense. Rizzo was June 26, so yes, that timeline should work if he's performing.
John (Wrigleyville)

Rizzo, Castro, Baez, Bryant...why can't the cubs be more competitive this year at mid season? Bullpen looks better, Rotation isn't terrible.
Jesse Rogers (1:14 PM)

Because Bryant and Baez will be in the minors. And Lake is a rookie. And the other 2 OF players are really good reserve guys and the rotation is just ok and, and , and ....
Matt (Chicago)

What are the chances that Emilio Bonifacio becomes the opening day 2B? He played well in his small stint with KC last year, and he brings a better career BA/OBP than Barney. And Bonifacio steals bases. It would be a downgrade in defense at 2B but I think the offensive upside justifies the switch. What are your thoughts?
Jesse Rogers (1:15 PM)

I think Barney gets his shot to show he can be better at the plate and I think he deserves it. If Castro and Rizzo get to rebound from bad BA, why doesn't Barney? Can always make the change later.
lgb (Evanston, Il)

Jesse some photo's on the internetz seem to indicate Baez with a noticeable weight gain (not in a good way). Any first hand observations? #Want.
Jesse Rogers (1:17 PM)

He says he put on some muscle..I can't tell a huge difference. I just posted some vid of him playing basketball on twitter so take a look and you decide. @espnchicubs
Robert (Chicago)

Hey Jesse.I know its very early into spring training for pitchers, but what pitchers are fighting for a starting job? And who do you think will be our starting five going into the start of the season? Thanks.
Jesse Rogers (1:18 PM)

Chris Rusin and James McDonald are fighting it out if Jake Arrieta can't go. But right now it sounds as if Arrieta might be ok. He says he'll throw off the mound by Friday. So Wood, Samardzija, Jackson, Hammel and Arrieta are the top 5 right now
Steve, (Peoria) [via mobile]

Hey Jesse love your stuff! We all know pitching will be addressed heavily in the draft, but with the first round pick I have read a lot about the cubs liking Trea Turner. Any truth behind that?
Jesse Rogers (1:21 PM)

If you're hearing rumors now it's way premature. Of course they can "like" a guy but I talked to Jason McLeod at the convention and asked him the process. Honestly said each new year they absolutely keep an open mind because that season at hand (college or HS) 99 times out of 100 tell the story for the top picks of the draft. These are kids who go up and down and so with seasons just getting going, it's simply way too early. There is always an exception or two but I'm not even thinking about that until April and we see some years plasy out, etc.
Patrick (Addison)

Bryce Harper played 134 minor league games and Mike Trout played 286. With that said, how do you think the Cubs will treat this year with Kris Bryant? If he tears the minors apart do you see him in the big leagues this year or do they give him a full year in the Minors no matter what and then have him break with the team next year out of camp?
Jesse Rogers (1:23 PM)

Unless there is a change of plans, almost assuredly next year. I don't see it in 2014. I suppose a slight chance in Sept but I really doubt it. If they have the pitching I could see Iowa having a good year and Bryant being there for a playoff run, etc. That would be the experience they want for those guys more than a cup of coffee at Wrigley.
jack (chicago)

Assuming bonifacio makes the team, who do you think has the best chance at the last roster spot?
Jesse Rogers (1:25 PM)

It's a good question. They're pretty good in terms of lefties and righties, etc. and the mix of infielders and outfielders in terms of positions so my point is it doesn't seem like they'll have a specific need for that 25th man. It might just come down to who's ripping it in games. Former rookie of the year Chris Coghlan might be the guy or Ryan Kalish so I guess my answer is I dont know! There is nothing pointing in one direction or another. Maybe it's Mike Olt.
Joe Iazzetto (Chicago) [via mobile]

Do you think Mike Olt will be the Opening Day 3rd basemen?
Jesse Rogers (1:26 PM)

Just to answer this again. If I had to choose yes or no, I would say no.
Oz (Chicago)

Two years in to his tenure, do you think Theo had any idea of what he was getting into with the continual circus around the organization due to Wrigley and the neighborhood?
Jesse Rogers (1:27 PM)

Def not
Mark (Orland Park)

When Hammel and possibly Samardzija or Jackson are traded, who steps into the rotation to fill their spots?
Jesse Rogers (1:27 PM)

Hendricks, Rusin, Villanueva, surprise candidates?
Jesse Rogers (1:28 PM)

BTW, Villanueva could be a deadline guy to go as well.
Sean (Chicago)

The Cubs seem to be relying heavily on Wellington Castillo coming through for them at the catcher position. What do you think his max potential is? If he does not pan out, does Theo and Co. really have a back up plan in terms of someone in the farm system or will they most likely look at the free agent market if need be?
Jesse Rogers (1:31 PM)

I think defensively he can be one of the best in the game if he's not approaching that now. He's right behing Molina in the NL that's for sure. Offensively, I don't think we'll see the next Piazza or anything. He's got some muscle but he's not a big guy. He got better at taking walks in the second half last year so that's good. If he can be a .350 on-base guy with 10-12 HR, I think that works..Maybe he can get to 60-70 RBI but he has a ceiling. After him there isn't much but I think he's going to be fine based on his defense alone.
Mike ALIOTO (Oak Forest)

Will Baez have any chance making the team out spring training or is going to triple A and wait until June
Jesse Rogers (1:32 PM)

Please read my blog for these updates. Go back and look at stories in there. Been stated and written many time since the end of last season. Triple-A shortstop. Just click on the Cubs blog!
Tommy (Skokie)

What are the players' opinions on the new facilities? All rave reviews I'm assuming? And how about that Baez jump shot!!
Jesse Rogers (1:34 PM)

Actually, one weird quirk is in the locker room. In the morning the sun shines directly on one side of all the lockers so it's right in players faces. And this is Az. No clouds. I saw catcher George Kottaras climb up on a locker and try to block the sun with a cardboard box. And it's a little small in there with all the players for spring but outside, the facilities are great. The fields are perfect, etc. And behind the scenes in the wieght room, etc are very nice.
Shawn (Pekim)

How does the Bonifacio signing impact guys like Barney, Valbuena and Murphy? A chance one does not make the opening day roster?
Jesse Rogers (1:35 PM)

I think they all make it opening day including Bonifacio. It's competition, no doubt. But I think he's a super utility guy until something changes, either one of those guys falters or there is an injury. It's those other guys jobs to lose.
Jason (San Diego) [via mobile]

What are the chance the cubs lock up Samardzija in %?
Jesse Rogers (1:37 PM)

Less than 50...but things do change. I did a podcast with Theo today where we address that and I like what he said. When you have an impasse and you have time on your side, you table the discussion and see if things change. And things can change based on how Samardzija pitches this year and of course how the team does. But right now, it doesn't look good. One thing I know, if they can't get a deal done by July, he's gone for sure by the 31st of that month.
Dan (Lincoln Park) [via mobile]

After Shark, who is most likely to be traded?
Jesse Rogers (1:38 PM)

Schierholtz, for sure. Veras. Villanueva? Ruggiano?
James (CA)

what are the chances KB stays at third as he progresses through the minors and eventually makes the big leagues? Seems like Baez and Alcantara will be here before he is, and if they are proving to be legit big league building blocks, does Bryant just go to left? Seems wrong to put Soler in left with his cannon.
Jesse Rogers (1:40 PM)

If many of the infield prospects work out before Bryant is here then he will go to the OF. Soler would stay in right and Bryant would go to left. But right now, they're thinking 3rd base until further notice.
ryan (des moines, iowa)

Do you think that the ongoing legal battle with the Cubs ownership and the rooftop owners will be rectified in the near future? Do you see that as a bigger issue for the team and management to not be further along in the rebuilding plan and do you favor one side or the other in this battle?
Jesse Rogers (1:42 PM)

I'll just answer the last question. AS crazy as it sounds I actually lean towards the rooftop owners. I don't want to get into the whole thing but I think the Cubs could make an adjustment or two on size or placement and this would all be done. Maybe they make a few less dollars but they make free money (I know the rooftop owners are stealing the product. I know, I know.) off the rooftops. They did sign a contract. That contract did not just give the Cubs money, it protected the rooftops. THATS WHY THE ROOFTOP OWNERS SIGNED IT. Now I know there is a ton of gray area here but those are my basic thoughts.
Nick (Illinois)

In your opinion, what is Rizzo's ceiling? Castro's? Do you think Castro can turn it around and have a solid season to keep the rebuilding process on pace?
Jesse Rogers (1:45 PM)

No reason not to believe Rizzo can't be a .275, 30 HR, 100 RBI guy with a .375 on-base..The RBI are a product of his teammates so he needs better players in front of him. And he's proven he has the power. Let's see if he sacrifces power for BA or what not. I don't think he will. I won't garauntee anything with Castro. But if he can't succeed with this new coaching staff and all the tools and resources they're giving him then we might have a problem Houston.
Steve S (Batavia Ia)

It appears that the Cubs defensive roster is basically set with the exception being the 3rd base and a utility infield/outfield player(s). Doesn't that seem a bit odd there is no competition for playing time on a team that could loose 100 games?
Jesse Rogers (1:46 PM)

Yes and No. If the young prospects were ready there would be more competition. But right now, you're just filling some holes like in the OF and 3rd base until they're ready.
Mike (Wheatfield,IN)

With the Cubs keeping Baez at shortstop in the minors, do you think there is any chance they may trade Castro? The Yankees seem like a logical choice if they decide to trade Castro since they'll be looking for a replacement for Jeter but I don't think the Yankees have what the Cubs would want back in return. What do you think?
Jesse Rogers (1:48 PM)

Yes, of course there could be a chance. A series of things have to happen but he's untradeable. his contract his friendly and the Cubs do have pitching needs. But you are correct, right now the Yanks don't have those kinds of prospects. The Cubs need a No.1-2 starter for Castro unless he's just awful. Then again if he's good again, they could use him. It's not like they have 8 positions all set. We have to let this all play out. Too many variables.
Mike (St Louis)

I'm on board with the rebuild and would love to see the Cubs trade away anyone they don't see in the plans for 2016. Hopefully that means another sell off this summer. Any idea why the Cubs weren't able to trade Gregg at the deadline last year (or Camp the year before)? Was the return not worth taking the arm out of the bullpen? Is it better to set something instead of nothing?
Jesse Rogers (1:49 PM)

From what I was told about Gregg, there were no takers. Don't know about Camp.
Greg (Bloomington, IN)

Hey Jesse, I just read your article on Samardzija focusing on boosting his value. If Jeff finally takes that big leap this year and starts consistently pitching like the ace we all hoped he could be when he was drafted and have seen glimpses of throughout his career, does that increase or decrease the likelihood that he gets traded? Will the Cubs be willing to pay the guy the money he wants if he shows more consistency or will they jump at the chance to offload him when his value skyrockets? With attendance projected by some to be at an all time low at Wrigley this year, does Jeff's ability to put butts in the seats play any role at all in the Cubs' decision to trade him? As someone who's been a huge fan of the Shark since he was catching passes for Brady Quinn at ND, I'm really hoping that by some miracle this won't be his last year in Chicago. Is there any scenario in which that makes sense for the Cubs or do you believe they're better off dealing him at the deadline?
Jesse Rogers (1:52 PM)

I think I mention that in the blog. Do the Cubs up the ante or just get more for him if he's going well? My head says he's still traded but my gut says they need this guy too much. And if he finally proves he can do it for an entire season then they up the ante. However, the price goes up if they wait until next offseason. I know that for a fact. The closer he gets to FA the more it will cost the Cubs. So we're caught in a catch-22. Cubs want to see he can be the man and then maybe they'll pay him but by then he'll want more. Again, listen to the podcast today with Theo in my blog.
Matt (Wheaton)

Jesse, Where do the Cubs stand with the rooftop owners at this point? Do you think there's any possibility of working out an agreement so that these renovations don't get pushed back even further?
Jesse Rogers (1:53 PM)

I don't have an update. Been ensconsed in spring training and that story gives me a headache. We're pushed back pretty far now so what matters now is just getting it done, forget a timeline. No update though.
Zach (Kentucky)

Jorge Soler 100% healthy? Where does he start the year?
Jesse Rogers (1:54 PM)

Double-A
Dan (Lincoln Park) [via mobile]

It seems like this year could be Castro's last year if he struggles. Do you get that perception from the Front Office, too?
Jesse Rogers (1:55 PM)

No, because they will never say that privately or publicly so I don't get that impression. However, they see what we see and if Baez is ready and is playing well at short and Castro's days are numbered then we know what could happen. I also think they believe with Renteria in the mix he will return to prominence.
Bill (Justice)

Where do you think Almora and Soler end up this season?
Jesse Rogers (1:57 PM)

Would be intersting to see Soler and Bryant end up at Triple-A and play in a postseason run there. Almora should def be up to Double-A by then. But I'm not ruling out a full season at Double-A for Soler. He's still behind others in terms of games played. But listen, I don't have a crystal ball, if they're ripping the ball they move up. If not, they stay where they are. I think Bryant is the most sure thing in the minors though..
Alex (Crestwood)

Any trades you think the make before the season starts?
Jesse Rogers (1:59 PM)

Can never predict for sure but there is always a chance Samardzija could be moved. I tend to doubt it but a team in the hunt might have an injury and come calling. Or I guess Barney if some team is in need of defense. That would be about all I could see happening but I would say probably not.
Terry (downtown)

Your take re Arrieta? Start the season on the DL or just a small setback?
Jesse Rogers (2:00 PM)

Samll setback. He just passed by me and he said he feels great. Should be on the mound by this Friday.
Jim (Chicago)

Jesse - keep up the great work. How has the team responded to Rick Renteria? Have you noticed any significant differences in how the team responds as compared to Sveum?
Jesse Rogers (2:02 PM)

Nah. Too early. Not many guys know him at all. Some haven't met him. Every team is doing what the Cubs are doing now. Bullpen sessions etc. We won't see his personality imprinted on this team for a while.
DJ (Elgin)

Jesse, If Olt proves he can be the everyday third basemen do the Cubs start the process of moving Bryant to the outfield?
Jesse Rogers (2:03 PM)

Probabaly not this year. They would make that decision in the offseason I believe.
Travis (South Elgin)

Is it safe to say that the NL Central is poised to dominate the NL for years to come with Chi, StL, Pit farm systems? And how long until you see the Cubs as a contender?
Jesse Rogers (2:04 PM)

I think the Cubs can make some noise by 2016..Their peak is prob 2018/2019. Now get up off the floor you just fell on.
Al Smith (Downers Grove)

Are we going to see another bunting contest or something similar to that?
Jesse Rogers (2:04 PM)

No.
Al Smith (Downers Grove)

Have you heard what the schedule will be for the workouts once they start?
Jesse Rogers (2:05 PM)

Basically they get outside around 9 am and go until about noon, give or take a few min either way.
Cara (Kalamazoo)

What is Samardzija's attitude like given all the contract distractions? (IS it a true distraction - one that could affect his pitching, or the locker room, for him or anyone else?)
Jesse Rogers (2:07 PM)

Not for the locker room. And I can't get inside his head. He is supremely confident so I don't think he believes it will be one. He's going to make good money and probably play for a contender either here or somewhere else so how bad is it for him? I think he'll be fine.
Jesse Rogers (2:09 PM)

Based on projections they feel the same way but at this point it's about production. Did Maddux look like a HOF when he broke in? How many guys do? Projections only mean something because you have to base your needs on SOMETHING. In other words, if everyone's abilities dictated exactly what they would be then we know the Cubs are short top end rotation guys. So based on that, it's a need. But maybe it's less of a need in a year or two when we see Hendricks and Edwards, etc. Or maybe it's more of a need.
Nick B. (Omaha)

What are the chances of James MacDonald making a rotation spot if Arietta continues to have injury problems?
Jesse Rogers (2:10 PM)

Think it's pretty good.
Tamara (Northbrook)

I haven't heard a lot about the new Mesa, Arizona spring training complex. We're considering taking the family there. Can you tell us about it?
Jesse Rogers (2:12 PM)

It's nice. The new stadium is nice. The whole complex is very big. Plenty to do on the other side of the park for kids, etc. There's baseball and sunshine and a brand new park. What's not to like?
Jesse Rogers (2:15 PM)

Thats it for today. Renteria is about to start his daily press briefing. Check out the Cubs blog for info everyday, twice a day! Podcast with Theo will be in there today..story on Rizzo and the prospects went up a while ago. Follow me on twitter @espnchicubs. Next week for our live chat I have pitcher Travis Wood scheduled to join me so start thinking of some good questions. Ill be on ESPN 1000 today at 4 pm CST with my daily report.

Chris J

Chris Jelinek
Liked Posts:
Well you must be Chinese if you consider Taiwan part of China :rimshot:

This has information on him when the Cubs signed him, but also has some video of his delivery. He is worth getting a little more excited about out of the IFAs because he should be playing stateside this year. Probably even should be in full season ball this year.

Some people think Jimenez and Torres will be in the AFL in June

CSF77

Liked Posts:
MESA, Ariz. -- The Cubs need a few more signs at their new Spring Training facility to warn fans of Javier Baez's power.

Baez apparently broke a car window with one of his batting-practice home runs on Friday.

"I saw it fly and I heard a sound," said infielder Logan Watkins, who was in the outfield during batting practice.

What did he hear?

"Glass," Watkins said.

"Somebody told me, but I didn't know that," Baez said about the freak accident. "It [stinks] for the person who parked there."

This is the Cubs' first spring at the new facility in west Mesa, and there are a few glitches.

"They're parking too close to the field," Baez said.

It's not just Baez either. Jorge Soler launched a ball out of Field 5 as well. Maybe they need more screens? Or park farther away?

"[At least] not until Group 1 is done hitting," Watkins said. "Mike Olt hit a couple far out there, too."

Home runs are not unusual for Baez, 21, who belted 37 combined at Class A Daytona and Double-A Tennessee last season. This is Baez's second year in the big league spring camp, and he said it's a little easier.

"I'm trying to follow all the big guys," the shortstop said.

Starlin Castro has been encouraging Baez, who is challenging for Castro's job.

"[Castro] tells me all the time, 'You're going to get there whenever they think you're ready,'" Baez said. "We're just waiting now."

Third baseman Christian Villanueva, who also was in the outfield during batting practice, gave Baez a description of what happened in Spanish.

"It was impressive," Villanueva said. "I think he hit two cars. Some family was getting into the car and they heard the noise. They're like, 'Who's hitting?'"

Baez didn't know what happened.

"He doesn't even care," Watkins said. "He's like, 'Oh, cool.' It's not cool for whoever's car it was.

"That's a fun group to watch hit. They were making that field look real small. I get in trouble if I try to do that because that's not really my game. Last round, I try to put one over [the fence] at least. He can do it every round if he wants. I don't think anyone's going to say, 'That's not your game,' because it obviously is."

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Volgelbach has lost another 30 pounds over the Winter. That should put him somewhere around 220 pounds. This is the most recent pic I can find.

search

Status
Not open for further replies.