Cubs recall Lake from Iowa

chibears55

Liked Posts:

The Cubs are expected to promote shortstop Junior Lake to the majors, MLB.com reports. Lake could take the 25-man roster spot of outfielder Brian Bogusevic, who aggravated his hamstring Sunday and is expected to be placed on the 15-day disabled list.

Lake has hit .295/.341/.462 with four home runs, 18 RBI and 14 stolen bases in 156 at-bats with Triple-A Iowa.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I guess lets see what the kid has...lol

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I'm very interested in seeing what Lake can do.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The initial move is Bogusevic being DLed. Again everyone is quick to pencil him into the OF reserve spot, but he hasn't even played two hands worth of games in the OF anywhere at the pro level. I think he is going to be moved around the diamond to get some starts, but it will be interesting to see them find regular playing time with the only real spot open right now CF.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
The initial move is Bogusevic being DLed. Again everyone is quick to pencil him into the OF reserve spot, but he hasn't even played two hands worth of games in the OF anywhere at the pro level. I think he is going to be moved around the diamond to get some starts, but it will be interesting to see them find regular playing time with the only real spot open right now CF.

Agreed.

Don't see him jumping into the outfield right away either. Still needs time there.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
On the flip side of the coin if this was just a move to fill a bench spot short time until Bogusevic or David DeJesus came back I think an organizational filler type would have been brought up instead of Lake. Something larger is afoot beyond the initial moves because there just isn't the playing time for Lake right now with the present roster construction.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
On the flip side of the coin if this was just a move to fill a bench spot short time until Bogusevic or David DeJesus came back I think an organizational filler type would have been brought up instead of Lake. Something larger is afoot beyond the initial moves because there just isn't the playing time for Lake right now with the present roster construction.

Who else should be up? Lake is on the 40 man roster. No one else is really deserving and cant play as many positions. Szczur still hasn't been moved up. Ha isn't ready.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who else should be up? Lake is on the 40 man roster. No one else is really deserving and cant play as many positions. Szczur still hasn't been moved up. Ha isn't ready.

If this was a temporary situation adding a Ty Wright type player to the 40 man roster and DFAing him when the time comes isn't out of the question.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
It's about time. Lets see what he can do.

Hopefully Junior Lake gets some playing time if he isn't only up in the MLB because of Bogusevic going on the DL. Split time between Lake and Valbuena if he stays on the roster or give him even more playing time.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Dejesus is rehabbing in Mesa and is close. So it is a temporary situation. But who knows may run with it.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dejesus is rehabbing in Mesa and is close. So it is a temporary situation. But who knows may run with it.

This is why I've been saying that I think there is another move that opens up a roster spot and playing time for Lake happening soon. Maybe I am wrong and it was just convenient, but it would seem like a waste to bring Lake up as a temporary fill-in as opposed to just letting an organizational filler type.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hopefully here to stay, and gets consistent playing time.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If I were Darwin Barney I'd be worried with the Lake call up.

*posted in the Garza thread but it should go here too*

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I were Darwin Barney I'd be worried with the Lake call up.

*posted in the Garza thread but it should go here too*

I am guessing he will lose some playing time but I doubt Barney is moved full time to the bench. I am interested to see how Sveum juggles the lineup with this guy. I worry that he is going to get same amount of playing time that Vitters got last year.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am guessing he will lose some playing time but I doubt Barney is moved full time to the bench. I am interested to see how Sveum juggles the lineup with this guy. I worry that he is going to get same amount of playing time that Vitters got last year.

He should be.