Cubs recall Lake from Iowa

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am. Barney is awful.

Junior Lake's baseball instincts makes Starlin Castro look advanced, and players with limited power and well over 20%+ Ks in the minors aren't usually terribly productive. He is a tool shed, but his OPS could be Barney territory pretty easily at the big league level without the plus defense.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Junior Lake's baseball instincts makes Starlin Castro look advanced, and players with limited power and well over 20%+ Ks in the minors aren't usually terribly productive. He is a tool shed, but his OPS could be Barney territory pretty easily at the big league level without the plus defense.

I'd rather take the risk and see what you have at this point. Barney is on pace to go negative value this year overall. Might as well see what Lake can or can't give you and can or can't develop. Barney isn't going to be around when this team contends. At best he might be here but not as a starter.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lake in CF tonight. Let the adventure begin. Just as a reminder, Junior Lake has played 6 games professionally in the OF, all in RF.

*I have some vague recollection of him getting time in CF while playing winterball, but have no idea how much time he got there if true.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Interesting to see what happens with him tonight..

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
brb fapping all over my house 'cuz JUNIOR LAKE IS THE BOO BOO!!!!!!

397x525

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lake 3/4 making a statement.

A couple more games of this and we can forget about Brett Jackson permanently.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You mean we didn't already? :lol:

I did last season when I noticed a microwave sized hole in his swing.

But Mayo from MLB still has him ranked highly.

Keith Law was on ESPN 1000 ripping him on Thursday.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Good game for Junior lake last night. The first pitch he saw in his at bat was hit for a double and then he stole 3rd base on the next pitch. Nice.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I did last season when I noticed a microwave sized hole in his swing.

But Mayo from MLB still has him ranked highly.

Keith Law was on ESPN 1000 ripping him on Thursday.

Law was always down on Brett Jackson, and looks like he was right on that one.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Law was always down on Brett Jackson, and looks like he was right on that one.

Really wish the Cubs could've sold high on him. It just always seemed like he had his enormous hole in his swing that good pitchers would be able to take advantage of.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Franko725

Liked Posts:
IF he gets sent back down, I have a hard time believing that he will be down for long. This team is going to be selling off too many pieces not to have him back up. If it were not for DeJesus and Schierholtz being hurt, I think that they would both be gone by the deadline. And they might still end up being gone anyhow. I think that they are going to have to give this kid a chance to show what he can do so that they can figure out what they have going into next season.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Ask Law about Chris Sale? He whiffed on that one worse then BJax

LOL Law hated Chris Sale, and took alot of time to take back what he initially said.

Right now lovin Junior Lake--dude is just awesome right now.

THough he looks seriously out of place and goofy in CF, either that or because Coors is a funky park--Sveum had wierd outfield shifts last night.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
LOL Law hated Chris Sale, and took alot of time to take back what he initially said.

Right now lovin Junior Lake--dude is just awesome right now.

THough he looks seriously out of place and goofy in CF, either that or because Coors is a funky park--Sveum had wierd outfield shifts last night.

Well, before his call-up he had only played 6 professional games in the outfield -- and none in center. It's certainly a huge adjustment since his entire fundamental base is rooted in the middle infield. He's got a good enough arm to patrol the outfield, but with the dearth of talent the Cubs have looming in the outfield, he very well could end up playing a Mark DeRosa-type role when his place in the majors is more permanent.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, before his call-up he had only played 6 professional games in the outfield -- and none in center. It's certainly a huge adjustment since his entire fundamental base is rooted in the middle infield. He's got a good enough arm to patrol the outfield, but with the dearth of talent the Cubs have looming in the outfield, he very well could end up playing a Mark DeRosa-type role when his place in the majors is more permanent.

Have you seen his arm yet? He could throw it from space.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Have you seen his arm yet? He could throw it from space.

He does have a great arm, but even with him only getting a few fly balls to play during his first two games, you can tell his still very uncomfortable making reads. That's going to take some time for him to adjust. If they send him back down, he very well could end up playing a lot more outfield so he's able to turn those into habits.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He does have a great arm, but even with him only getting a few fly balls to play during his first two games, you can tell his still very uncomfortable making reads. That's going to take some time for him to adjust. If they send him back down, he very well could end up playing a lot more outfield so he's able to turn those into habits.

Yea, you can def. see its a bit of an adventure for him. He is going to be Derosa like if he sticks cause he can play every position except probably catcher. I would say first but almost anyone can play first. I just want to see him gun someone out. Ive seen one video with one of his throws flat footed from third. If its not as good as Dunstons arm, it is just a tick below. Its pretty impressive.