Cubs release Brendan Ryan

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
If I were to guess I would think there's an accounting reason for doing this way. I don't think Ryan was ever in their plans.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
If I were to guess I would think there's an accounting reason for doing this way. I don't think Ryan was ever in their plans.

Yeah I am about 90% sure it was about money. My only thought was maybe the cubs weren't sure 100% what they were going to do from a bench perspective so took Ryan on rather than just sending cash. For example, had they traded Baez, Ryan would have been useful as a bench SS.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Yankees I believe are over the luxury tax so it's cheaper for the Cubs to take Ryan on than it was to send them the money to DFA Ryan since they'd have luxury tax penalties.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Least they got this part right.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Makes me think they don't trade Baez now. Ryan was a plus D player with little O. Barney basically. Leads me to believe they will use Baez and LaSorta to keep things moving around.

If you think about it. They could move Baez to 2B and Zorbrist to LF. Cog's to RF to tighten the D with out losing too much O.

Ryan was limited and not needed.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Makes me think they don't trade Baez now. Ryan was a plus D player with little O. Barney basically. Leads me to believe they will use Baez and LaSorta to keep things moving around.

If you think about it. They could move Baez to 2B and Zorbrist to LF. Cog's to RF to tighten the D with out losing too much O.

He is complete trash

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Probably a little too out of shape these days to be moving anywhere but they still love him in LA.

:lol:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Don't know more than I read. Said plus D no O. We don't need a roster spot wasted.