Cubs Roster Moves 11-20-2012

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Brigham has a better arm when it's healthy, bigger upside.

When it's healthy is a key phrase though.

I thought he was pretty much a reliever now whereas Loux has starter material.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was mistaken about the reliever thing but I did note that Loux is a bit younger and had better numbers at the same level as Brigham...small sample size blah blah.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I thought he was pretty much a reliever now whereas Loux has starter material.

He made 23 starts last year before getting shut on down. I don't believe he's strictly RP now...

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
My recollection is the TX league is pretty hitter friendly.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Southern League where the Smokies play is more pitcher-friendly, right?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Southern League where the Smokies play is more pitcher-friendly, right?
Yeah the Southern League is considered a more pitcher friendly league.

As far as prospect status between Brigham and Loux. Loux has been rated higher than Brigham as far as I've seen. He was number 25 going into last year on Sickel's list and I want to say he was in that range on Baseball America with Brigham outside of the Top 30.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Chicago Cubs made numerous roster moves yesterday. So, they can add players to the 40-man roster of whom needed to be protected from the Rule V draft. Here's the list of 7 moves the Cubs made yesterday:

*The Cubs made minor moves yesterday, but the Cubs did designate 1B/OF Brian LaHair for assignment. However, it was a mutual decision from LaHair and the Cubs. He wants to try and pursue a career in Japan. In LaHair's point of view, that's the right decision. If he does make a team next year, it'll be for the league minimum and he'll have to come off the bench.

LaHair did make the all-star last year as he had a great few months of the season. However, after the 1st few months, LaHair's stats slipped and eventually was benched if favor of 1B Anthony Rizzo of whom was called up.

Lahair is a nice guy and I wish him the best of luck in Japan!

*The Cubs also made a minor trade. The Cubs shipped RHP Jacob Brigham to the Texas Rangers for RHP Barret Loux and a player to ba named later.

If you don't recall, Bringham is going back to Texas. He was acquired in the Geovany Soto trade near the trade deadline of the past year. I'm not surprised at all that the Cubs gave rid of him already. I thought he would have been DFA, but instead, they traded him for a guy that is not on the 40-man roster. So, this was one way to clear a spot on the 40-man roster.

Loux is a 23-year old pitcher. He last pitch for Double A and started off 9-0 with a 2.20 earn run average. Loux throws a fastball, slider, curve, and changeup. He considers his fastball his more effective pitch. Maybe the Cubs found a promising pitcher from the Rangers.

The Cubs also received a PTBNL is the trade, but I wouldn't expect him to be any good. I say it'll just be a throw in the trade.

*Also, the Cubs assigned RHP Carlos Guiterrez to Triple A Iowa after he cleared waivers. The Cubs claimed him off waivers a couple months ago from the Minnesota Twins. He also never pitched for the Cubs before.

*The Cubs also added 4 players to the 40-man roster of whom had to be protected from the Rule V draft. Of which takes place on December 6th on the final day of the Winter Meetings. Here are the 4 players the Cubs protected:

**RHP Trey McNutt: He was once the Cubs top pitching prospect, but he has slipped badly. Some people still have faith in him and so do the Cubs front office. He was a likely 3 or 4 pitch in the starting rotation, but I think he's more a RP now.

**2B Logan Watkins: He's a guy that keeps surprising in the minors and a guy to keep an eye in the minors. He finished the season for the Arizona Fall League in favor of IF Javier Baez of whom sustained an injury.

**RHP Robert Whitenack: He may have been the most surprisng player of whom the Cubs protected. Yes, he is a good pitcher, but he's coming of Tommy John Surgery. 2 seasons ago, he was one of the best pitchers in the minors.

**3B Christian Villanueva: I'm happy the Cubs protected him and I look for great things out of him. He was acquired in the Ryan Dempster trade on the July 31st deadline of the past year.

Well, there's all the moves the Cubs made yesterday. I do look for more moves in the coming weeks. The 40-man roster currently stands at 40. So, in order for the Cubs to sign anyone, the Cubs will have to clear a spot on the 40-man roster.

Other notes:
*The Royals are already sick of Chris Volstad. They designated him for assignemnt yesterday.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2012/1...hair-protecting-rule-v-players-and-much-more/

A little heads up... if the article isn't too great grammar wise, I would know that. I was hit in my car yesterday and sustained a concussion and a sprained neck. My head feels all over the place right now. I know it's not an excuse, but just letting y'all know.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Follow

Sahadev Sharma
‏@sahadevsharma
Hearing LaHair to Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks is a done deal. Cubs reportedly got $950k in the deal.

Via Bleacher Nation. Yay for Cubs for doing a good deed and getting some bank too.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow, LaHair is gonna make some better bank than he would in MLB...

8.38pm: MLBTR's Ben Nicholson-Smith reports (on Twitter) that LaHair can opt-out of the contract after 2013, and the deal includes $2MM in incentives each year. The total value is $4.7MM when you include his signing bonus and buyout.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#AyfGDRXFf1Zg7kW5.99

'Tis the season to be thankful to be rich and not a Cub :lol:

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
dude. get better bro. I think you get a pass buddy with the grammar and what not.

Thanks! When I was writing, my head was all over the place and I was having trouble spelling. I at least did my best to get an article out there. That has to be worth something lol.