Cubs Sign C Marck Malave

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs signed C Marck Malave to a 1.5MM signing bonus yesterday, but there was nothing on it or to share. If I find more on him, I'll share it.

Another overseas C...damn they have signed a few.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Trade Soto. NOW.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
It's all good, cause Cubs gonna :sweep:!

(Who started the Cubs gonna :sweep: thing, dero?)

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
BA had him getting the 8th highest signing bonus, right above Acosta.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trade Soto. NOW.
Again this looks to be a nice signing. And this has to be a good sign about Ricketts willingness to spend. If Malave is in fact signed that is two Latin players signed for 7 figures, which is more than the Cubs have ever spent on a Latin player as far as I recall. Just like Acosta, Malave is 16 years old and is likely going to spend at least a season or two in the VSL before even heading over to Mesa. What I can gather is that he is a switch hitter with a strong arm that is relatively new to catching. He has at least some power from both sides of the plate.

If the Cubs sign Vogelbach, that would be a number of legitimate power bats added to the system with Acosta and Malave being added to mix.

Last edited:

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Hey dab, do you have anything on him? Stats etc... I couldn't find anything.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Again this looks to be a nice signing. And this has to be a good sign about Ricketts willingness to spend. If Malave is in fact signed that is two Latin players signed for 7 figures, which is more than the Cubs have ever spent on a Latin player as far as I recall. Just like Acosta, Malave is 16 years old and is likely going to spend at least a season or two in the VSL before even heading over to Mesa. What I can gather is that he is a switch hitter with a strong arm that is relatively new to catching. He has at least some power from both sides of the plate.

If the Cubs sign Vogelbach, that would be a number of legitimate power bats added to the system with Acosta and Malave being added to mix.

Castro was 16 too... so I like how they are serious about trying to get more talent the same way they got him.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Still odd that a forum is the only place it's been found... not even on MLBTR.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I started looking for it after I saw it mentioned on Bleed Cubbie Blue.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
These are the only stats I could really find on him:
Baseball America said:
8. MARCK MALAVE, C
VENEZUELA
B-T: B-R Ht.: 6-1 Wt.: 200
Malave drew widespread notice in October 2008, when he was the youngest player on Venezuela's 14-and-under-team as a 13-year-old along at the COPABE Pan American championship, where he was teammates with righthander Victor Sanchez and 2010 signings Adonys Cardona (Blue Jays) and Rougned Odor (Rangers). Malave batted .467 (7-for-15) with a homer, two doubles and a walk in the tournament, spending time as a catcher and an infielder. Now 16, Malave trains with Ciro Barrios as a full-time catcher.

Malave's arm might be his best tool. He has a short arm stroke and delivers plus throws consistently with great carry. Scouts who like Malave see him as a catcher who can hit from both sides of the plate, but not everyone is sold on his bat. He's a better hitter from the right side, with questions about his bat speed from both sides of the plate, as the ball jumps off his bat due to his strength rather than his bat speed. He'll have to make mechanical adjustments in pro ball. Malave is strong, but his thick, boxy body raises questions about his projection and isn't the athletic frame that many scouts look for in young catchers. His below-average speed wouldn't an issue as a catcher, but his lack of athleticism and experience are evident in his receiving, so he's not a lock to stick behind the plate. Malave was connected to the Reds, who have signed a slew of Barrios' players, but now most international sources believe Malave will end up with the Cubs.

Like high school numbers, I wouldn't put too much stock in these, but if this signing is true this marks a real departure in strategy in latin america. The Cubs have usually going with quantity over quality, which when dealing with players so young isn't really a bad strategy. This year the Cubs would have signed two of the top 10 bonus kids in latin america which would add to the glut of talent the Cubs are piling up in the lower levels of the minors. I don't think we have to wait four or five years for this team to get good again, but I think it will be a lot easier with a new wave of talent emerging.

Last edited:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Some reports are trickling in that suggest the Cubs signed C Marck Malave to 1.5 million. That would mean that the Cubs have spent 2.6 million on two Latin American prospects. The Cubs have also signed four players from Cuba which is another shift making Cuba a much bigger priority in years past, with the Cubs traditionally being focused in Venezeula and the Dominican Republic along with the Pacific Rim (Korea, Japan, Australia).

Malave isn't a done deal until it is official, and there are also a few reports linking Malave to Toronto, who has been pretty active in Latin America as well. However, it is exciting to watch the Cubs act like high rollers in this market for really the first time ever.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, the report I have saw said the Cubs signed him to a bonus of 1.5M.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Signing official. Also the Cubs sign 3B Ricardo Marcano. Deal undisclose.