Cubs Sign Scott Baker

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
One year deal. Details as I get them, should be on the Twitters. Hold on please...

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Patrick Mooney ‏@CSNMooney
Source says Scott Baker gets a one-year, $5.5 million deal from #Cubs with incentives that could be worth up to additional $1.5 million.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
There's a post above with links that you can click and everything :cubstroll:

Seen it on FB and that was my first thought... Coming off TJ surgery? Nothing too exciting but we'll see how it goes. I am sure if he ends up being decent/good he will just be dealt later on anyway.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seen it on FB and that was my first thought... Coming off TJ surgery? Nothing too exciting but we'll see how it goes. I am sure if he ends up being decent/good he will just be dealt later on anyway.

That's the plan.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
He had better numbers in 2011 than I thought. I was confusing him with another Twins pitcher. I have no problem taking a chance on him.

Last edited:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Wait, are we sure? Given the track record of the new regime and all, it's probable a deal likely to fall thru. :)

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Well, it is a FA signing and not a trade....

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
This kinda makes me think that something is REALLY wrong with Dan Haren.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
This kinda makes me think that something is REALLY wrong with Dan Haren.

Well, the bright side is that the Cubs acquired a pitcher who is about as good (if not better) than 2012 Dan Haren, and they get to keep Marmol :lol:

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Chicago Cubs announced today that they have signed former Minnesota Twins right-handed pitcher Scott Baker to a 1-year deal. The deal is worth a base salary of 5.5 million and Baker can make an extra 1.5 million if incentives are reached.

Baker missed all of last season recovering from Tommy John Surgery; however, he will be ready when spring training kicks off. In his career, Baker is 63-48, has an earn run average of 4.15, 770 strikeouts, and 224 walks in 958 innings. Baker is also 31 years old.

Baker does have great command and has great strikeout ability too. However, he does give up a lot of home runs and that may or may not be good for Wrigley Field (depending on the day).

Baker throws a low 90's fastball and does have solid secondary pitches. His best pitch is his slider, thanks to Cubs Den for this.

The signing does not look great on paper, but it looks like a Paul Maholm signing. They both went into the off-season with past injuries and signed to a cheap contract. It's a low-risk, high reward situation.

At first glance, you may think the Cubs have overpaid, but I don't think so. Most players are being overpaid nowadays and signing a guy to a 1-year deal this early into the off-season could end up being big. The signing also does not hurt the Cubs future plans. I actually do like the signing and think he'll be big next year. Just like Maholm, the Cubs are hoping he pitches good in the 1st half of the season and can be traded for prospects come the trade deadline.

Side note: Jon Heyman over at cbssports.com predicted Baker would end up with a 1-year deal worth 6.5 million. Just leaving that out there as the Cubs may not have overpaid for him.
The Cubs reportedly made a contract offer to Francisco Liriano last week, but that's all we know. Perhaps, Liriano declined the offer and the Cubs moved on to Plan B and signed Baker. However, the Cubs went into the off-season wanting to sign 2 pitchers. They just signed one and another one will be signed at some point. So, maybe the offer is still out Liriano, but we don't know and we may never know. Until he signs with a team or rumors surround Liriano.

More moves could be on the way! The GM meetings concluded on Friday and the Winter Meetings starts in about 3 weeks.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2012/11/13/chicago-cubs-sign-rhp-scott-baker/

Reactions: X

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I know his agent :smug:

Cool, Chicago still >>> Minnesota, so drop out of college and come back haha.

Anyway, really like this signing, hoping for a decent prospect in return come July. Probably not Vizcaino-level, but something.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
read title, thought it said "Jeff Baker", rolled eyes, :tiptoe: 'd

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought they over paid him for the 1 yr but type of guy Cubs will be getting over next couple of yrs. Guys that they can sign to 1 yr deal and hope he has great 1st halve so they can flip him for prospects at deadline. If they cant then just lost 6 mil