Cubs sign two Cuban players

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs have reached agreements to sign a pair of Cuban players, MLBTR's Nick Collias has learned. They'll be signing outfielder Ruby Silva for $1.2MM as well as catcher Yaniel Cabeza for $500K.

Silva, 21, is a versatile left-handed hitter who played center field for the champion Havana Vaqueros in the 48th Cuban National series. He can play all three outfield positions and perhaps even the middle infield. He's a good athlete who draws praise as a plus runner with a plus arm. He could begin his pro career in low A ball with the Peoria Chiefs.

Cabeza is a catch-and-throw backstop who reminds some of a young Yadier Molina, though his bat has improved in the last year.

mlbtr

Northside_slugger

Liked Posts:
Awesome. Love signing guys like these. Many of them never make it, but when you do hit one, who knows how good he can be? It's what i like to call... low risk, high reward signings.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Update: The Cubs signed Silva to a bonus of 1M. Also Cabeza is 21 years old.

Northside_slugger

Liked Posts:
Update: The Cubs signed Silva to a bonus of 1M. Also Cabeza is 21 years old.

After doing a quick google search, i couldn't find his age and was about to post asking if anybody was able to find it, so thanks.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Busy day...

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe this is true of some of you other, older guys: Do you find it weird that there are guys our age, like D-Rose, Castro, etc. are playing for professional sports teams. Makes me feel like a waste of space, haha.

If Silva turns out to be a multi-position player, this could definitely be a good investment. Also, any catcher who is compared to a young Yadier Molina is a plus in my books.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe this is true of some of you other, older guys: Do you find it weird that there are guys our age, like D-Rose, Castro, etc. are playing for professional sports teams. Makes me feel like a waste of space, haha.

If Silva turns out to be a multi-position player, this could definitely be a good investment. Also, any catcher who is compared to a young Yadier Molina is a plus in my books.

I was thinking that exact same thing about their age. Already 21 and will play in low ball. EH but we'll see. Also who knows if there 21, lol. jkjk in some ways.

Derkach77

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Love it...love our activity lately.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Pre-mature, visa issues have to be figured out.