Cubs To Claim Gavin Floyd?

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And since then Z has left and Cash has been injured, somebody has to step in for Z next year, and none of our minor leaguers will be able to do that, we have to get somebody this off-season IMO...

I never said we shouldn't, but let's not get a bunch of guys and have no rotation spots open. The only top tier guy is CJ Wilson and he's 31. While he doesn't have a ton of innings on his arm like most guys, he is still 31 and I really don't want to have a 35 year old SP sucking dick down the road. I suppose it all depends on what he wants for how long, but I like the idea of a Wandy type guy. Specifically Wandy himself

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
the cubs rotation is pretty bad, anyone who thinks otherwise is blind. They need to build a staff.

again-

1) empty
2) Garza
3) dempster ( whatta think you are going to get? old demp? please)
4) wells (bad)
5) cashner or some other fill in

that is pretty bad. pitching has to be addressed.

Dempster's ERA by month:
April-9.58
May-3.08
June-3.13
July-4.82
August-2.77

I'll take this Dempster without the April next year as a well above average 3rd starter.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I never said we shouldn't, but let's not get a bunch of guys and have no rotation spots open. The only top tier guy is CJ Wilson and he's 31. While he doesn't have a ton of innings on his arm like most guys, he is still 31 and I really don't want to have a 35 year old SP sucking dick down the road. I suppose it all depends on what he wants for how long, but I like the idea of a Wandy type guy. Specifically Wandy himself
You don't want to pay CJ Wilson because he might suck dick at age 35, but you want to pay Wandy Rodriguez when he is 34?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Dempster's ERA by month:
April-9.58
May-3.08
June-3.13
July-4.82
August-2.77

I'll take this Dempster without the April next year as a well above average 3rd starter.
Still doesn't take away a fact that Demp will be a year older, and that we don't know what next year will bring.

Fielder and a World Series title
Sarcasm
:elephant:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Actually you would be paying Wandy till he is 35 because his club option for 2014 becomes a player option if he is traded.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You don't want to pay CJ Wilson because he might suck dick at age 35, but you want to pay Wandy Rodriguez when he is 34?

Oh wow... I thought he was in his 20s.... nevermind then.
Actually you would be paying Wandy till he is 35 because his club option for 2014 becomes a player option if he is traded.

Oh shit... he is under contract too? Yikes! Nevermind x254564

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is a reason the Astros were trying to trade him. If he was in his 20s, I doubt the Stros would be moving him.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is a reason the Astros were trying to trade him. If he was in his 20s, I doubt the Stros would be moving him.

I think they would be able to move him if he were in his 20s, but if he is 35 he has no value. If he is 7 years younger, he has quite a bit if value.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is 32 currently and is signed through 2013 with a club option that becomes a player option dealt.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Who cares, as long as the :cubs: :sweep:!

:troll:

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs putiing claim on Floyd?!

I'd still take Wandy.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'd still take Wandy.

meh idk...

wandy isnt terribly young and has a big contract doesnt he?

gotta pray for CJ:pray:

but we need another guy to complement demp and garza in the front of the rotation...

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs putiing claim on Floyd?!

Why? Wandy is still pretty good and is only one year older and won't coat nearly as much long term as Wilson.

Only ten million next year as apposed to probably 15 for Wilson.

Plus only through 2013 where as Wilson probably through 2015.

I'd take Wandy all day over Wilson.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why? Wandy is still pretty good and is only one year older and won't coat nearly as much long term as Wilson.

Sorry that is just dumb if the number for Wilson is 15. Wandy is older and has way more mileage on his arm, and therefore more likely to break down when he is making 13 million in a couple of years (really 3 years most likely since his 13 million club option becomes a player option for 13 million if traded). I would rather to take my chances paying Wilson 15 million a year for 4 years when he has been better in every way the past two seasons than Wandy Rodriguez while pitching in the AL in a very hitter friendly park (not that Minute Maid is unfriendly). Now if the number for Wilson is close to 20 million then you might have an argument, but a few more million per year really shouldn't prevent the Cubs from going after the far superior pitcher.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:

Living in Texas, I get to watch both of them quite routinely. Wilson is a much better pitcher than Wandy is. Though to be honest, I'd take them both. Trading for Wandy from Houston would be expensive though. Where Wilson would only cost cash.