Cubs to lower ticket prices next season

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Doug Padilla @ESPNChiCubs
Cubs to lower ticket prices 2% overall for 2013. Bleachers down 10%. Season tix either flat or reduced for 2nd year in a row.
30 minutes ago

Waiting for a story, but this is Tweet #1 I saw.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Thank God.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah, JosMin gonna buy some tickets! :beerbang:

Hopefully. I usually try to sit behind the Cub's dugout when I go to Wrigley, but this team was so ragged this year I didn't think it was worth spending the money. Definitely more optimistic about next year's team, and we haven't even gotten into free agency yet.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Hopefully. I usually try to sit behind the Cub's dugout when I go to Wrigley, but this team was so ragged this year I didn't think it was worth spending the money. Definitely more optimistic about next year's team, and we haven't even gotten into free agency yet.

Get used to the team how it is, lol. The big FA pickups are probably going to be guys like Napoli, Sizemore, Aaron Cook and Jeff Francis.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

How? Astros are gone. You get to enjoy last place by yourself now.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Get used to the team how it is, lol. The big FA pickups are probably going to be guys like Napoli, Sizemore, Aaron Cook and Jeff Francis.

I'd be surprised if they signed Napoli given their in-house options at 1B and C. The other guys I can definitely see. Holding out some hope for Greinke but that's totally unrealistic, obviously :lol:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
More details from Muskat about the pricing:

The average price for Cubs’ season tickets will be 2 percent lower in 2013, and Wrigley Field bleacher tickets on average will drop by 10 percent. The Cubs notified season ticket holders on Tuesday of the changes, saying season ticket prices/invoices will either be flat or reduced for the second straight season. Also, for the second year in a row, Cubs season ticket holders will pay less when compared to individual game ticket buyers. On average, a Cubs season ticket will be $1 to $2 less per game than individual game tickets in the same location for next year.

Here are some of the details sent to season ticket holders:

Bleacher tickets:

Bleacher season ticket prices and individual game prices will decrease on average by 10 percent per ticket. The 2013 season marks the second straight year that bleacher tickets will experience a double-digit percentage price decrease. The top Marquee level bleacher individual ticket prices will be reduced from $78 to $69 (plus fees), and there are less than half as many Marquee games next year (six in 2013) than the just-completed season (13 in 2012).

The Cubs also said there will be seven fewer Marquee and Platinum level bleacher games in 2013, dropping from 22 in 2012 to 15 in 2013. There will be 66 Bronze/Silver/Gold bleacher games in 2013 instead of 59 in 2012.

The Marquee home games for the bleachers include Opening Day, April 8, against the Brewers; July 6 vs. the Pirates; July 12-14 vs. the Cardinals; Aug. 3 vs. the Dodgers; and Aug. 17 vs. the Cardinals. The Platinum level bleacher games will be May 29-30 vs. the White Sox; June 1 vs. the Diamondbacks; June 8 vs. the Pirates; June 22 vs. the Astros; July 5 vs. the Pirates; and Aug. 2 and Aug. 4 vs. the Dodgers.

Seating bowl tickets:

For the second straight year, there will be no increase in the 2013 invoice for daily season ticket holders compared to 2012, and some will see a decrease. All Terrace Reserved Outfield seating for both season ticket holders and the average individual game price will be reduced by an average of 5 percent. The Cubs also said all Upper Deck Reserved seating for both season ticket invoices and average individual game price will be reduced by an average of 10 percent. There will be 26 Marquee/Platinum seating bowl games in 2013, down from 29 in 2012, and there will be 55 Bronze/Silver/Gold bleacher games in 2013, up from 52 this year.

The nine Marquee home games for the seating bowl will include Opening Day, April 8, against the Brewers; May 29-30 against the White Sox; July 6 vs. the Pirates; July 12-14 vs. the Cardinals; Aug. 3 vs. the Dodgers; and Aug. 17 vs. the Cardinals.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm guessing that if you run the numbers, they're still going to almost break even it seems. They might sell less tickets overall, but with the dynamic pricing and the demand for the marquee games they'll still make a bundle. And as long as people will pay they can get away with it. Part of it might also have to do with season ticket waiting list attrition (and existing holders not wanting to renew) so they're giving the season ticket holders most of the break while single-ticket purchasers are going to make up the difference.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm guessing that if you run the numbers, they're still going to almost break even it seems. They might sell less tickets overall, but with the dynamic pricing and the demand for the marquee games they'll still make a bundle. And as long as people will pay they can get away with it. Part of it might also have to do with season ticket waiting list attrition (and existing holders not wanting to renew) so they're giving the season ticket holders most of the break while single-ticket purchasers are going to make up the difference.

Oh they'll do way better than just break even. They'll always make money, even if the team went 0-162.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's no way re-selling Cubs season tickets is profitable over an entire season right now.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
There's no way re-selling Cubs season tickets is profitable over an entire season right now.

Selling Sox, prime AL matchups, Cardinal tickets should remain profitable :shrug:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, maybe I should check my spot in the waiting list in the next couple weeks now...

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Selling Sox, prime AL matchups, Cardinal tickets should remain profitable :shrug:
Definitely but I bet you have to go under face value on 50 games though too. All depends on locations I suppose.