Cubs to Spend more on Draft and Scouting...

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs will have a slightly lower payroll next season, chairman Tom Ricketts has already said, but they still are planning the same budget for the Baseball Operations department.

Ricketts made the announcement in a letter to season ticket-holders Friday, suggesting more money may be allocated towards scouting and draft picks.

"Given that we had the highest payroll in the NL in 2010, I get a lot of questions about our payroll commitment for 2011," he wrote. "As I said earlier, we are still working on our 2011 baseball plan, so it is hard to be too specific at this time. What I can tell you is that our overall baseball budget (scouting, player development and payroll) will be about the same in 2011 as it was in 2010."

"Continued long term success will come through superior scouting and player development, and we are committed to improving that facet of the organization. As a result, this likely means a shift of some of our resources from the major league payroll toward scouting and player development, but we are still very much in the evaluation phase."

The Cubs began 2010 with a $145 million payroll, but will probably be unable to shed too much of it because of back-loaded contracts and arbitration-eligible players like Carlos Marmol, Sean Marshall and Geovany Soto.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.co...-money-to-be-spent-on-player-development.html

I actually like this...I love watching young players play and make it to the majors than watching vets. I know it's harder to win and the Cubs need too, but I think this could work in the right direction.

In a letter to Wrigley Field season ticket-holders, Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts indicated the team will "likely" reallocate some money from the major league payroll towards scouting and player development. The team's "overall baseball budget" of payroll, scouting and player development will be roughly the same as it was in 2010. Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune was the first to break the news of Ricketts' announcement, while the full text of Ricketts' letter can be found here.

We'd already heard that the Cubs were looking to shed some payroll this winter, though as Sullivan notes, that could be easier said than done given the number of unwieldly contracts on the Chicago roster. It only makes sense for the Cubs to reinvest their savings on the development of young, affordable talent given that they're committed to Alfonso Soriano through 2014 and Carlos Zambrano through at least 2012.
Cubs Plan To Spend More On Draft, Scouting In 2011: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

This is just the write-up MLBTR had on it.

Thoughts?

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
As long as they don't overpay in the draft, which needs a lot of fixing

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
We have any potential comp picks coming our way??

Not that I know of. They signed their draft picks where they could get comp picks if they didn't (they should have never signed Hayden, try there luck with another pick).

Derkach77

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good idea by the Cubs I really like the farm system anyways so this should improve it even more. We are a few good players away from contending next year no doubt about it.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, Waldo, they knew he'd get mono. They knew that before they selected him. That's why they selected him. You gotta have some faith in Tim Wilken here. He's kind of a badass when it comes to selecting good players in the draft.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, Waldo, they knew he'd get mono. They knew that before they selected him. That's why they selected him. You gotta have some faith in Tim Wilken here. He's kind of a badass when it comes to selecting good players in the draft.

I knew someone was goinng to say this, I was just saying they took a big reach and it kind of haunt them. I sure hope Hayden comes back and pitches good. I do have some faith in Wilken, he has made good picks (Cashner, Colvin, Jackson, etc.)