Cubs vs Padres

TL1961

Liked Posts:
You wonder whether it's a matter of time before teams figure out Justin Steele, and then he just keeps going out and getting it done.

If they hold this lead, he's 4-0 with an ERA of 1.19.

As of a couple weeks ago he had the second lowest ERA in MLB since June, 2022 behind Verlander. He may be first by this point.

He is also working on a string of 12 or 13 straight starts allowing 2 ER or fewer. This wasn't the A's tonight. He threw a lot of pitches in the 2nd and lasted just 5.1, but he allowed no runs on three hits. Tatis, Soto, Machado, Boegarts 2-11.

Edit: And now I see they have added on three runs and counting sine I posted this. Nice work!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs won and Steele continues to impress.

Couple of thoughts, kind of weird how Steele flew under the radar. I mean I see how but the guy pitched well his whole minors career minus one bad season. He did have Tommy John which delayed him then covid but the fact the guy throws two pitches and is having the success is pretty amazing. I mean he does throw his slider like three different ways but still.

Yan Gomes has been eating his Wheaties. 5 dingers already.

I saw a Cardinals game two days ago and man, I love Contreras and his spirit but he still receives the ball really bad. Gomes and Barnhart are exponentially better at it and our staff is benefiting from it.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Couple of thoughts, kind of weird how Steele flew under the radar. I mean I see how but the guy pitched well his whole minors career minus one bad season. He did have Tommy John which delayed him then covid but the fact the guy throws two pitches and is having the success is pretty amazing. I mean he does throw his slider like three different ways but still.

I saw a Cardinals game two days ago and man, I love Contreras and his spirit but he still receives the ball really bad. Gomes and Barnhart are exponentially better at it and our staff is benefiting from it.
I always liked Contreras and wished he could have remained a Cub, albeit not as the regular catcher. But being in St. Louis with Cardinal fans all around me, I like poking at him.

The Cubs have 5 shutouts in 22 games (and blew a 1-0 9th inning lead in another). The Cards are a mess. St. Louis has a ton of offense, lots of really good defenders, and a closer, and they are 9-15. Last night Contreras had a throwing error that allowed a runner on first to score on a stolen base attempt. That's an impactful negative play! I love it! (They also blew a 2 run 9th inning lead!)

Cubs' pitchers have a 2.80 ERA when Gomes catches.

Edit: We now have two Cubs vs Padres threads. Combine? Thanks.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I just read this morning that since the Jon Lester talk last June...he has an era of 1.38.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I always liked Contreras and wished he could have remained a Cub, albeit not as the regular catcher. But being in St. Louis with Cardinal fans all around me, I like poking at him.

The Cubs have 5 shutouts in 22 games (and blew a 1-0 9th inning lead in another). The Cards are a mess. St. Louis has a ton of offense, lots of really good defenders, and a closer, and they are 9-15. Last night Contreras had a throwing error that allowed a runner on first to score on a stolen base attempt. That's an impactful negative play! I love it! (They also blew a 2 run 9th inning lead!)

Cubs' pitchers have a 2.80 ERA when Gomes catches.

Edit: We now have two Cubs vs Padres threads. Combine? Thanks.
I wouldn’t say the cards have lots of really good defenders…

Below league average defensively so far this season

Baseball reference has them as the 2nd worst in defensive efficiency

Last edited by a moderator:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
They have five guys in the lineup who have won gold gloves. They may not be playing well defensively at the moment, but they have defenders.

I see they made three errors last night, though. More, please! That, of course, included the Contreras error mentioned earlier.

They sent Jordan Walker to teh minors today and some Twitter users mentioned he was terrible defensively. He's a 3rd baseman plugged into the OF because Arenado isn't going anywhere.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pretty certain we've seen the end of Fulmer.....if Ross has more confidence in a POS like Merryweather in a close game...Fulmer's days are numbered.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Jed said Fulmer is out in high leverage until he sorts his mechanics.

Kilian starts on Friday.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Back to back. Hosmer and Velazquez.

Velazquez just keeps hitting when he plays

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jed said Fulmer is out in high leverage until he sorts his mechanics.

Kilian starts on Friday.
He did well today after the walk to Soto. Cubs were up 3 but heart of the order and he focused in and got it done.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
A single and two HBP......sounds like Cub late inning relief to me.