Current FA PGs

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
A lot of this now makes me wonder if Marquis Teague hadn't been such a bust and had developed along the way Butler/Snell have if they really wouldn't be missing Rose right now.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
People don't understand the NBA salary cap and how the business aspect of the NBA works often. They think this is a video game where they can just go out and get anyone and use the trade override feature. It's also stupid to think a team that already has a solid PG is going to trade for a solid PG, especially when that PG wants to be the focal point of the offense.

A realistic trade for Dragic could have been Taj and 2 future firsts for Dragic, and salaries would have matched up. However given that Dragic could balk at re-signing in the offseason, that alone makes me thing GarPax would never pull that trigger. You also bring up a good point of Dragic could get a big contract out of Chicago by playing well in Rose's absence... putting them in more of a pickle. Butler gets re-signed regardless though.
Rental players are a baseball thing. It's not really a thing for the NBA, unless you're talking about an older vet who is playing on his last or soon to be last contract.

My point being: nobody is looking to rent a guy like Dragic for the season.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Rental players are a baseball thing. It's not really a thing for the NBA, unless you're talking about an older vet who is playing on his last or soon to be last contract.

My point being: nobody is looking to rent a guy like Dragic for the season.
Agreed... Its also why you don't see many contenders make major trade deadline moves.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
A lot of this now makes me wonder if Marquis Teague hadn't been such a bust and had developed along the way Butler/Snell have if they really wouldn't be missing Rose right now.
I really don't think he was ever a long-term plan quite honestly. I think that was a rushed pick as a reaction to what happened with Derrick. They needed a point guard, didn't do enough research and you have a D-Leaguer.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Agreed... Its also why you don't see many contenders make major trade deadline moves.
That's the other thing. I didn't see Atlanta or Toronto make any moves, but GarPax get shit on???

:gtfo:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Teague was kind of a reach in hindsight, but at that point in the draft, it was worth taking a flyer on him in the hopes that he turned out like Butler. He just didn't have the skill to put it all together. I think the FO never really saw him as more than Rose's backup though.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I really don't think he was ever a long-term plan quite honestly. I think that was a rushed pick as a reaction to what happened with Derrick. They needed a point guard, didn't do enough research and you have a D-Leaguer.

Teague was kind of a reach in hindsight, but at that point in the draft, it was worth taking a flyer on him in the hopes that he turned out like Butler. He just didn't have the skill to put it all together. I think the FO never really saw him as more than Rose's backup though.
Well yes probably... As I recall they were shocked Teague was even there for them there, which is why they jumped on him. I think whatever scouting they did said he was going sooner, so the fact he was still there, they jumped on him... Was a mistake, but whatever.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well yes probably... As I recall they were shocked Teague was even there for them there, which is why they jumped on him. I think whatever scouting they did said he was going sooner, so the fact he was still there, they jumped on him... Was a mistake, but whatever.
Yup I remember that Teague was supposed to go waaaaaay higher in the draft. The fact that he fell definitely should've said something (especially in retrospect), but I totally get why they jumped on him at the time. High risk, high reward. Best case scenario we end up with another PG who's athletic and can't shoot though...

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
In hindsight, I think it was pretty shitty that GarPax didn't make a move for Lillard. Proves their idiocy.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
maybe Rose will opt to do the same thing Westbrook did and be back right before playoffs :shrug: it will be interesting to see what we do in the summer. Rose has played 1 playoff game since 2011. He just can't be relied on to stay healthy anymore. I'm curious to see if we start blowing it up.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The "moves" would have been to go for Affalo and Dragic. There penny wise and pound foolish actions were dumb ones.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The "moves" would have been to go for Affalo and Dragic. There penny wise and pound foolish actions were dumb ones.
Glad to see you missed everything Gustavus and I said.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Whoooooosh!

That's the sound of the point flying over your head.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
maybe Rose will opt to do the same thing Westbrook did and be back right before playoffs :shrug: it will be interesting to see what we do in the summer. Rose has played 1 playoff game since 2011. He just can't be relied on to stay healthy anymore. I'm curious to see if we start blowing it up.

hahahahaha, oh shit! Thanks for that. That was good!

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Tegaue keep in mind was a guy that some thought came out a year too early and was a projected possible top 5-10 pick the next year. At the time it was seen as a hell of a value move by the Bulls. Just a missed pick. Wasn't a reach or rushed or anything. Just a miscalculation.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Not to belabor the point, but let's just take a look at the Dragic thing again:

He wanted out of Phoenix because the offense wasn't running enough through him, so he gets traded to Miami. Now I ask: who or what exactly would the Bulls have given up to get Dragic? Dragic coming to the Bulls, before the Rose injury would have meant he essentially was put into the same situation he was in with Phoenix. Never mind the fact that there was no assurance he would have signed long-term with the Bulls at the end of the season.

So now, let's say the Bulls actually did trade for Dragic, and this happens to Rose. You don't think Dragic and his agent are licking their chops to see the amount of money they could get from the Bulls? Between what he could have gotten, plus the Rose contract how much cap flexibility do you leave yourself to sign somebody like Butler long term?

Pining for Dragic, and calling GarPax idiots for that isn't even short-sided. It's just flat out fucking dumb.

Save your breath, he doesn't get it, and I've explained the same thing several times already. :smh:

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
go with farmar, he can shoot the 3 and is an experienced PG at running offenses. nate has been hurt some the last couple years and we have brooks already. don't really need two undersized PG's that play almost identical styles of basketball

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
go with farmar, he can shoot the 3 and is an experienced PG at running offenses. nate has been hurt some the last couple years and we have brooks already. don't really need two undersized PG's that play almost identical styles of basketball
I think Nate actually did better than Brooks, but he's had ACL surgery since so who the heck knows anymore?