Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Cutler, Romo, Brees, Brady, Dalton, Ryan, Smith, Flacco, Newton.... just of the top of my head a litany of guys that were complete unknowns for the most part after a few years in the league.

What? Some of those guys were great players in their first few years in the league.

Matt Ryan first three years in the NFL over 10,000 yards passing and 66 TD's.
Flacco first three also over 10,000 yards and but only 60 TD's.
Newton first three 11,299 yards and 64 TD's.

How is any of that unknown? Either I misunderstood your statement or you were just pulling names out of your ass.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Matt Ryan was once referred to as the next Peyton Manning by the one & only Chris Collinsworth (2009 SNF @ Falcons)

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Cutler, Romo, Brees, Brady, Dalton, Ryan, Smith, Flacco, Newton.... just of the top of my head a litany of guys that were complete unknowns for the most part after a few years in the league.
Yet people are so quick to throw out college QBs playing the same or less amounts of time in a wildly fluctuating talent pool.

It goes the other way too- lionizing college players over a couple lucky years.

Too much weight is put on college performances- especially poor ones.

Whatever Green bay does to assess football IQ needs to be decoded and used throughout the league- because they have that shit figured out.
During the Favre years, they churned out backup after backup that found long term starting gigs.
They hit a perfect pick when looking for Favres replacement and developed him perfectly.
Then, when Rodgers went out for an extended period, they were decisive enough to cycle through several guys in several games before launching them all and bringing back flynn for the wins needed to make the playoffs.... No sitting on their hands and hoping the guys they had would click.
They saw immediately what they had, decided it sucked, and moved on it.

I am honestly of the opinion that Green Bay could find and develop a serviceable starter in every draft no matter how low their pick is- they are just that good at it.

Long way of saying that the sexy prolific picks very well might not be worth a shit, but there is likely a guy with a good mind sitting on the board somewhere with average physical skills that very well could be a long term solution if a team could look past irrelevant college results.

"Completely unknowns"

Are you serious, Clark?

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
What? Some of those guys were great players in their first few years in the league.

How is any of that unknown? Either I misunderstood your statement or you were just pulling names out of your ass.

Or he doesn't follow the NFL.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Look back at any qb ranking and Ryan will be mid level at beat in that era- hell... I remember many times on here people ragging on him for "doing shit" with a damn fine wr group.
All the names mentioned, go back before any success, and you will see lively debate about their abilities.

BearForceOne

Liked Posts:
Look back at any qb ranking and Ryan will be mid level at beat in that era- hell... I remember many times on here people ragging on him for "doing shit" with a damn fine wr group.
All the names mentioned, go back before any success, and you will see lively debate about their abilities.

I think you're right - for example I'm pretty sure that in 2014, Newton had a passer rating lower than Cutler. Other than Newton's first year, and of course the Super Bowl year, I seem to recall a lot of discussion about how good he was.