Cutting the cord

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
The question I thought the OP was trying to address was cable INTERNET compared with Fiber Optics. Not Cable TV vs streaming services. Even if you stream, you still have to have an internet provider and that is likely cable (it just won't be bundled in with TV). And for most people, that is the best option because Fiber is only offered in like 15-20% of the country. It's not offered where I live in Lake County.

My guess is that most people here don't have any experience with Fiber yet. I would like to get people opinions on it too but I don't know a single person that has it.

I am considering what you are talking about: switching from cable to fiber.

The thing that comes with making that switch is I would be ditching my cable provider entirely, and my wife has certain TV shows that she likes to watch, so I am trying to be considerate to what she likes to watch on the tube whilst saving some money and having a better overall internet experience speeds and latency wise.

I guess the main question with these services (lets say You Tube TV or any other streaming television service) is do I get to on demand all the shows so she can watch whatever she wants on demand after it airs, or do you have to watch it live/figure out a DVR situation?

A good example would be Top Chef. We currently DVR it and watch it the next day because it ends kinda late for us. Would we just go to You Tube TV and on demand it the next day or would we have to watch it live as it airs?

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
When the fuck are they just gonna do ala Carte. I want to buy all 17 bears games and guaranteed to get them. Why is this so difficult

This!

I so wish everything was Alacarte.

Companies want to cling to the old cable models for as long as possible. It is crazy. I have like 500 channels and I watch about 20 of them.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
guess the main question with these services (lets say You Tube TV or any other streaming television service) is do I get to on demand all the shows so she can watch whatever she wants on demand after it airs, or do you have to watch it live/figure out a DVR situation?

With SlingTV and Hulu Live, there were on demand menus very similar to basic cable. Believe that goes for YouTube TV as well, but not 100%

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
With SlingTV and Hulu Live, there were on demand menus very similar to basic cable. Believe that goes for YouTube TV as well, but not 100%
Cool, that is what I suspected.

I am just trying to get rid of as much crap as possible when I make the switch. So if I can avoid a DVR or box would be good.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Cool, that is what I suspected.

I am just trying to get rid of as much crap as possible when I make the switch. So if I can avoid a DVR or box would be good.
It is similar. With YoutubeTV which I have, you can record a ton of stuff all at once and have it as long as you want. With Bears games for example, I pick them as my favorite team and it automatically records every game of theirs. So I am pretty sure you can choose what shows you like and have them auto recorded as well.

I got YoutubeTV solely because of the sports package though. It's basically the same price as cable for us. Although the 3 month promotional period when you sign up was like 30 bucks a month cheaper.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
It is similar. With YoutubeTV which I have, you can record a ton of stuff all at once and have it as long as you want. With Bears games for example, I pick them as my favorite team and it automatically records every game of theirs. So I am pretty sure you can choose what shows you like and have them auto recorded as well.

I got YoutubeTV solely because of the sports package though. It's basically the same price as cable for us. Although the 3 month promotional period when you sign up was like 30 bucks a month cheaper.

Cool. I don't mind the "TV" part costing as much on Youtube TV so long as I can ditch cable and get the internet part for the same or cheaper and get additional speed with Fiber.

For comparison I am going from between 170-180 monthly for Cable internet with TV to about 120 - 130 for basically the same TV channels along with 200 more mbps and better latency with Fiber.

Honestly, this is more about finally being able to get away from that chit tier cable company than it is the cost difference.

I just haven't had the opportunity to cut the cable until now because there was only one choice for decent internet.... We will see how this works out.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Cool. I don't mind the "TV" part costing as much on Youtube TV so long as I can ditch cable and get the internet part for the same or cheaper and get additional speed with Fiber.

For comparison I am going from between 170-180 monthly for Cable internet with TV to about 120 - 130 for basically the same TV channels along with 200 more mbps and better latency with Fiber.

Honestly, this is more about finally being able to get away from that chit tier cable company than it is the cost difference.

I just haven't had the opportunity to cut the cable until now because there was only one choice for decent internet.... We will see how this works out.
That price sounds about right. We are just under 200 a month combined as well.

If and when we are offered the fiber, we will switch. But for now, from my experience, it seems Comcast internet is the best of the evils.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Fiber growth is slowing- the big telcoms are eating up the production, and the new docsis standards are kicking the shit out of much of the fiber networks out there. There was an uptick when the feds were giving out infrastructure grants to underserved areas, but that will continue to slow.

The next wave of docsis is FDX- a wide open 2 way path from lowest to highest frequency, which will produce at the current compression 10 Gig per second up and down.

Fiber is theoretically unlimited... but the bottleneck is the transmitters and receivers as well as whatever each company chooses to us for light to data conversion- where the struggle for bandwidth becomes tight.

Old phone companies will continue to go the fiber route, they have no choice with the infrastructure in place.

The cable companies have the upper hand by a long shot moving forward- all innovation is gear towards that transmission medium and the stride are large and often.
The thinking is, Aluminum and copper transmission lines are a single highway tht can be repaired in minutes vs a bundle of individual fibers that take many, many, MANY hours and insane amounts of manpower to restore- which is a MASSIVE concern when moving in to residential neighborhoods... because that is where upwards of 90% of all damages occur.

Fiber is the bomb in industrial areas- low subs passed, no landscaping danger, no struggle for bandwidth.
Get to residential though, and it is a hot mess.

If you ask me to look long term at the new players, Wireless is on its way to solid respectability due to the new model.
Cell tower based wireless is a dead end- off air wireless bandwidth is costly to allocate, finite, and costly to maintain as well as subject to an insane amount of interference.

The smart cell companies (or the cable giants that busted in to the cell market) are saturating areas with wifi units to handle the load- that model handles infinitely more traffic than a tower based system.

in many areas, your T-moblie service is routed through a consumer cable wifi unit... that operation runs second fiddle to the original subscribers usage... and cell customers are simply using the routers of neighbors from a company that has a reciprocal agreement with the HFC provider.
They use the HFC network for stationary units and save bandwidth, the HFC/Cell provider uses t-mobile towers in areas where they do not have a presence.

The big players in home cell based providers are all using this model to one degree or another.

Last edited:

BornAnAngryBearsFan

TF you lookin' at?!?!
Liked Posts:
I've got t mobile's 5g Internet. 50 bucks a month and I've had no issues with it at all with gaming or streaming, but I'm the only one using it. Get around 300-400 down, 25-30 up.

Same here. I've been using them, since last May. Fast, no issues, lets me do all my gaming, streaming, etc.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
IPTV is your friend. Got a super reliable one that gives you 5 lines and more channels than you can count. No pay channels per say but every show on the pay channels are available 24 hrs after broadcast. Sports is ALL games.....NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA and any college game that gets televised. Right now I'm splitting the bill three ways with my brother and my son. We each pay about $50 a year for this. The 4K stuff is limited but everything else is 1080P HD. I didn't exactly "cut the cord" as I use Xfinity internet and get 400-500 mbps for about $60 a month....you don't need that much speed but I've found that everything runs a lot smoother with it and worth the extra $20 a month I pay for it.
I do similar. I pay $30/month for my IPTV and I get everything.

No more paying for Netflix, MLB at Bat, Redzone, etc.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
This!

I so wish everything was Alacarte.

Companies want to cling to the old cable models for as long as possible. It is crazy. I have like 500 channels and I watch about 20 of them.
Well, it's hardly crazy for services to not offer a la carte.

Peacock grabbed a Chiefs NFL playoff game last year and some Caitlin Clark games this spring and people were signing up left and right. And while many cancel, not all will.

It sucks that there will not be a few games on Amazon, some on ESPN, Peacock, Apple TV, etc. but nobody's going to change that.

That's where IPTV becomes such a benefit.