DA Bullseye #85 - A Rose is Budding

mlewinth

Liked Posts:
New Bullseye is posted. Originally we were going to do one right after the Knicks game, but I am glad we waited, because don't we have a bit of a different perspective now about things? Fred and I talk Del Negro, don't get me wrong, however, I think there is a more pressing issue at hand...the emergence of Derrick Rose. The last 2 games, Rose has been a different player, Fred and I will tell you why we think you are seeing the emergence of a superstar. We also discuss what the Bulls need to do to position themselves best for 2010, as well as Joe Dumars, who was voted this week by Sporting News as the best GM of the decade. Do you agree? What are your thoughts on the show and our topics?

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I believe R.C. Buford is GM of the Spurs. I agree that he is the best...3 Championships...consistently retooling players around Tim Duncan. Beat the best teams of the decade...the Lakers, the Pistons etc.

And I am almost 100% sure Buford drafts Melo over Darko. That is just over the top bad decision making...

Dumars built a perennial contender, Buford did too, and in a tougher conference, much tougher conference, won more championships.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Dumars is top 3 but I would take Mitch Kupchak or RC Budford first. Dumars had an incredible run of ECF visits but the Lakers have built two separate title teams this decade and the spurs have been good and managed to keep a really tight budget too.

Fred

Liked Posts:
I made a mistake on this podcast. The Pistons only made it to the Eastern Conference Finals six straight years (2003–2008) under Dumars' watch, not 8. My bad.

Fred

Liked Posts:
Tim Duncan was on the Spurs before the decade started. It's pretty easy to win when you start the decade with Tim Duncan.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Fred wrote:
Tim Duncan was on the Spurs before the decade started. It's pretty easy to win when you start the decade with Tim Duncan.

Well the same can be said for the Lakers too with Shaq n Kobe. Buford is by far the best GM of the decade. We're talking about one of the smaller market teams in the NBA yet they've done nothing but win & win consistently for the past 10 years. In fact they have either the highest or second highest win percentage of ANY sports team over the last decade. Its between them & the Yankees.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Fred wrote:

So KG was in Minny for about 10 years and they only got out of the first round once. Its not like they had the same cast for all the titles. Duncan is really the only constant. Nor did they sign any big fas. Nor did they have any lotto picks. They drafted two all stars in the end of the first round. Not to mention a bunch of other picks that panned out for them and cheap fas.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
Fred wrote:

I'd say it's pretty hard to win without a star, that doesn't make it easy to win with one. Managing at least mid-50s win totals for an entire decade is impressive no matter who you started with.

mlewinth

Liked Posts:
Also they did it twice. They got lucky in getting Duncan, but they were able to utilize him to put their current team over the top and win in 99. That team was old and they re-built a whole new team successfully and won 3 more. That is what is impressive to me. If Dumars drafted Mello, or Wade and hadnt ruined the team for the next decade, he would be higher on my list but he was as much a part of their success as he was their failure.

Fred, you just love Dumars because he was the only GM who signed Gordon and almost validated the $50 you lost.

Fred

Liked Posts:
Shakes wrote:
Fred wrote:

I'd say it's pretty hard to win without a star, that doesn't make it easy to win with one. Managing at least mid-50s win totals for an entire decade is impressive no matter who you started with.

Is it easier or harder to win with a star? "Managing at least mid-50s win totals for an entire decade is impressive no matter who you started with" True, but it's more impressive when you do it without a star.

Joe Dumars as GM:

2008-2009 39 43 .476
2007-2008 59 23 .720
2006-2007 53 29 .646
2005-2006 64 18 .780
2004-2005 54 28 .659
2003-2004 54 28 .659
2002-2003 50 32 .610
2001-2002 50 32 .610
2000-2001 32 50 .390

Look at the quality of coaches he's hired, especially when compared to our pathetic organization. He's had 1 bad move in the decade. You can find a bad move from every GM. Look at this good ones...Grant Hill sign and trade for Ben Wallace and Chucky Atkins...

www.nba.com:
Dumars could not convince Grant Hill to remain a Piston. The responsibility to save a franchise and had become too much for Hill, and he decided to join Tracy McGrady in Orlando with the Magic. Instead of simply letting Hill go, Joe completed a sign and trade deal to bring Ben Wallace and Chucky Atkins to Detroit. Dumars would use the 2000-01 season to retool the club for the future, by making moves to increase salary cap flexibility and gathering draft picks. Dumars made 21 roster moves during the season, including replacing Irvine with rookie head coach Rick Carlisle. Dumars would also approve the team uniform changes, scrapping the teal and burgundy for the traditional red, white, and blue colors and a new logo.

Cliff Robinson, Zeljko Rebraca, Jon Barry, and Damon Jones were adder to the roster before 2001-02 the season. Rick Carlisle would lead the team to a 50-32 record, an 18-game improvement, and the Central Division crown. The Pistons would defeat the Toronto Raptors before succumbing to the Boston Celtics in five games of the second round. The league would recognize the team’s success through various awards: Sixth Man of the Year (Corliss Williamson), Defensive Player of the Year (Ben Wallace), and Coach of the Year (Rick Carlisle).

The 2002-03 season dawned with a surprising sense of optimism. Dumars traded Jerry Stackhouse to the Washington Wizards for Richard Hamilton as part of a six-player deal, signed Mehmet Okur and Chauncey Billups, and drafted Tayshaun Prince. The team would respond with another 50-win season and another Central Division title. The Pistons would defeat the Orlando Magic in a tough seven-game series before disposing of the 76ers in six games to reach the Eastern Conference Finals. Unfortunately, the Pistons fell to Jason Kidd and the Nets in four games. The good news, however, was that the Pistons had finally received their pick from the Grizzlies from the 1997 Otis Thorpe trade. It would be the second pick in the 2003 Draft. Dumars, the 2003 Executive of the Year, had developed a talented, unselfish team without a superstar. After drafting Darko Milicic in June, Dumars fired Carlisle, even though the head coach had won 100 regular season games in his two years at the helm. Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown had become available and was hired.

Coach Brown would take over a team that had been to the Conference Finals and added the second pick in the draft, and free agents Elden Campbell and Bobby Sura. The team began buying into Coach Brown’s plan of defense, rebounding, and unselfish play. The Pistons were an acceptable 34-22, including a club record tying 13-game winning streak, when Dumars changed the balance of power in the Eastern Conference. In a three-team trade, Dumars stole All-Star forward Rasheed Wallace. The addition of Wallace allowed the Pistons to turn up the defensive intensity, finishing the season winning 20 of their last 24 games, including a streak of five straight games holding opponents under 70 points. They entered the playoffs with a record of 54-28, the second best record in the Eastern Conference. After disposing of the Milwaukee Bucks and the New Jersey Nets, the Pistons would face a division rival, the Indiana Pacers and former coach Rick Carlisle in the Eastern Conference Finals. The series was filled with physical defensive intensity, highlighted by a play by Tayshaun Prince that will forever be known as “The Block.” The Pistons would defeat the Pacers four games to two and advance to the NBA Finals for the first time in 13 years to face the two-time defending champion LA Lakers.

An easy Lakers win in the 2004 NBA Finals was the foregone conclusion of most, but someone forgot to tell the guys in the Pistons’ locker room. From the opening tip of Game One, the Pistons played the game “the right way,” out-passing and out-hustling the mighty Lakers. The Pistons would complete the unthinkable on June 15, 2004, beating the Lakers 4-1. Coach Brown became the first coach in history to win NBA and NCAA titles. Joe Dumars had taken the franchise that took a chance on him as a player from a 32-win team to the World Championship in four short years. The team still had no real superstar, but instead was a collection of men who worked hard, had fun, and played the game as a team. Hard work had truly paid off.

The 2004-05 season began with the team and the city engulfed in the euphoria from the 2004 championship. Joe Dumars and Coach Larry Brown essentially returned the same team that won the championship. The big addition to the team was former All-Star Antonio McDyess. The season began just as the previous one had ended, a raucous crowd filling The Palace watching the Pistons receive their rings from NBA Commissioner David Stern and the championship banner raised to the rafters of The Palace. The Pistons were off to a 4-3 start, when the Indiana Pacers came to town on November 19. The Pacers maintained a comfortable lead and were cruising to a 15-point victory, when the entire sports world changed. After an on-court scuffle with Pistons center Ben Wallace, Pacers forward Ron Artest was hit with a cup thrown from the crowd. Artest and several other Pacers players charged into The Palace crowd igniting one of the worst events in sports history. Four Pistons players were suspended a total of nine games for their participation in the event. Four Pacers players were suspended a total of over 130 games, including Artest, who was suspended for the remainder of the season and the playoffs. The event would change the course of sports security and image-making for years to come.

After the events of November 19th, the Pistons showed moments of brilliance through the first half of the season, hitting the All-Star break with a record of 32-19, and winning nine of ten games going into the break. The team hit its stride after the break, going 22-9, including winning streaks of four, five, and eleven. The 54-28 record was good for another Central Division crown and the second seed in the Eastern Conference Playoffs.

The 2005 run to repeat would begin with a three games to one victory over Coach Brown’s former team, the Philadelphia 76ers. Up next were divisional rivals, the Indiana Pacers. Even without Ron Artest, one of the most dominant and underrated players in the NBA, the Pacers had fought through Reggie Miller’s final season. The Pistons won another defensive series four games to two. Their next opponent was arguably the best team in the NBA, the Miami Heat. After three titles in Los Angeles, Shaquille O’Neal had moved to South Beach to join second-year sensation Dwyane Wade. The two best teams in the Eastern Conference engaged in a back and forth seven game series. Down three games to two, the Pistons returned to The Palace and defeated the Heat 91-66 to force a Game Seven. No team had ever won a Game Seven on the road, but these Pistons were like no other team. The Pistons prevailed 88-82 to reach their second consecutive NBA Finals, where they faced the San Antonio Spurs, a team that had cruised through the West.

The series was epic. The Pistons did not start the series as they had hoped, losing the first two games in San Antonio by a combined 34 points. Fortunes changed, however, with the change of venue. The Pistons won Games Three and Four in Detroit, including a 31-point blowout in Game Four. Game Five went to the Spurs, who won a 96-95 overtime thriller. As the series switched back to San Antonio, the Spurs and their fans were poised to celebrate another championship. But someone forgot to tell the Pistons, who won Game Six 95-86 behind Richard Hamilton’s 24 points. The season had come down to a final 48 minutes, winner take all. Only one team had ever won a playoff Game Seven on the road; and that team just happened to be these Pistons in the 2005 Eastern Conference Finals. The first three quarters were tight. Entering the fourth quarter, the score was tied at 57. The season had now come down to 12 minutes. Early in the fourth quarter, the Spurs took control behind good outside shooting and defensive adjustments. The Pistons fell 81-74.

The Pistons would spend the summer reflecting on what they had experienced. Being so close to something you had worked so hard for left a bad taste in their mouths. As the players took time to recover from a long season, President of Basketball Operations Joe Dumars made a coaching change. Dumars replaced Larry Brown with Flip Saunders, who had coached the Minnesota Timberwolves for nine years. His free-flowing offensive philosophy had the Pistons and their fans excited about another run to the title.

Coach Saunders enters the 2005-06 season with the highest of expectations. He is taking over a team that has won a championship and gone to the Finals in the last two seasons. Saunders inherited an experienced team that knows how to win and does the little things that matter.

mlewinth

Liked Posts:
Fred I don't want to quote that because it was too long and I don't want to put anyone through the pain of re-reading that nonesense! Just wait till you have to put the winning percentage for 2009-2010 up there! Dumars "1 bad move" was CATASTROPHIC, making them not only, not a multi-championship team, but also lead to their eventual decline. Joe has made many more than 1 bad move. He ruined this team by trading Billups, for really just Gordon and Charlie V. that team is too mediocre to do shit, but to good to get a decent draft pick.

Ladies and gentelmen....you're Detroit Pistons......

Fred

Liked Posts:
mlewinth wrote:
Also they did it twice. They got lucky in getting Duncan, but they were able to utilize him to put their current team over the top and win in 99. That team was old and they re-built a whole new team successfully and won 3 more. That is what is impressive to me. If Dumars drafted Mello, or Wade and hadnt ruined the team for the next decade, he would be higher on my list but he was as much a part of their success as he was their failure.

Fred, you just love Dumars because he was the only GM who signed Gordon and almost validated the $50 you lost.

I don't love Joe Dumars. I respect him, and I think he's one of the best GM's in basketball. I would love to have him be the GM for our pathetic organization. And yes, I think taking Gordon from us was a smart move. We'll see..it's far too early and they've had far too many injuries to draw a conclusion on it. I know one thing's for sure...we're a worse team because of his move.

mlewinth

Liked Posts:
Fred wrote:
mlewinth wrote:

I don't love Joe Dumars. I respect him, and I think he's one of the best GM's in basketball. I would love to have him be the GM for our pathetic organization. And yes, I think taking Gordon from us was a smart move. We'll see..it's far too early and they've had far too many injuries to draw a conclusion on it. I know one thing's for sure...we're a worse team because of his move.

You cannot justify signing Ben when they had Rip with 3 yrs left on his deal, Stucky and Bynum. The team had 3 Ben Gordon's already! Are they trying to start a collection? Where will the Pistons find a front court? Their best front court player is 36 and the Pistons are capped out!

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:

Our future is much brighter than the Pistons though. Finding another BG is not difficult...matter of fact, the Bulls hope to do better (inquiring about Martin?) and maybe a whole lot better (Wade?)...now I wish Dumars luck in finding another Melo...

Fred

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:

Our future is much brighter than the Pistons though. Finding another BG is not difficult...matter of fact, the Bulls hope to do better (inquiring about Martin?) and maybe a whole lot better (Wade?)...now I wish Dumars luck in finding another Melo...

I heard that exact same about our future back in 2000. Let's hope we can have a better team more than once over a 10 year period.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
Fred, I'm not knocking Dumars .. he did something that is almost unique in winning without a true star. But the Detroit teams and the San Antonio teams aren't really the same. The Spurs have been a genuine chance to win probably every year but the last one where injuries derailed them. The Pistons made the ECF a number of years, but only had a couple of years where anyone gave them a decent shot of actually winning the championship.

You play the hand you're dealt, and it's one thing to start the decade with Duncan, it's another to make sure you take advantage of that and ensure he has the cast to challenge for the title for basically the whole decade.

Chitown773

Liked Posts:
Dumars is the best GM and Thunder's GM is about to take the reigns. I also can't believe that guy said Lakers GM is great, when in fact, he's nowhere near that complement. He had the best player in the league for awhile and couldn't put the right cast around him, so much to the point Bryant wanted to leave. He called Jerry West and begged him for Gasol. West being the guy whom drafted Bryant, decided to blew the Grizzlies apart, for the good of Lakers rejuvenation and the NBA. Moreover to Pistons, Dumars has won and stayed in contention without a Superstar. Spurs have Duncan and they're falling into the trap that Dumars refused. He got rid of Billups and Spurs still have Duncan, when they could trade him, essentially to a team like the Bulls. That's what I like about Dumars, he knows when the run is over and he put guys in their respected casts - Sheed to Boston; Billups to Denver; Hamilton is next. Foreman or Forman - whatever the guy name is - has been horrible. Deng is too high maintenance (come off the screen, or cut here and do that). I mean, if it were up to me, I would get rid of Deng, Salmons and Hinrich. They're essentially a growth inhibitor and Rose, our deferential franchise player, has become the victim. I'm not in favor of paying Deng that much money and he doesn't command respect of the players around him a la Lebron James or Kobe Bryant. At the end of the day, Deng will be an mid-range shooter that's too complex, with fourth qualifications on the current Lakers team. Seriously, if I want a midrange shooter, I don't need to pay a specialist 60 million in total. What for? Marcus Camby can do it better and he'll be available next year at negotiable services. I wouldn't be so upset if Deng was vocal, but he isn't! His pay has to come off the books if you want to win it all! You want to know why, Noah is next in line, after that, Rose is next in line. That's three players in combination that can't sniff the Eastern conference's Semifinal!

Seecocoaball.blogspot.com

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Mark, I was just listening to the show and there are a few misconceptions that you have about the salary cap. First, with Salmons opting in, we don't have full max cap space. We would still be able to work a trade to make it happen but we would have to give the other team someone. Secondly, if we are under the cap next year, we can't use the mle, we can't go above the cap period to sign anyone. Third, in order to use our cap space we would have to renounce TT and would only be able to offer him what is left under the cap. Traditionally we could exceed the salary cap to resign TT because we had his bird rights but we would have to release them to get rid of his cap hold in order to sign someone. TT isn't coming back here unless he does it on the real cheap or he blows it up to finish the season. Just wanted to make a few things clear.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
I would probably vote for Dumars as #1. Even though hi one move was god-awful. But that move didn't hurt them from winning the title that very season.

Overall Dumars made a lot of good moves that resulted in a title, while not having the benefit of a star like Duncan of Kobe/Shaq.

Getting Billups and Wallace when no one wanted them. He even had guys like Okur as role players. He traded Jerry Stackhouse, after Stackhouse had the two best years of his career for Rip Hamilton. I remember screening calls from our Detroit affiliate that night with Pistons fans freaking out over that. He made the trade for Rasheed Wallace. He also replaced a coach that had back-to back 50-win seasons (Carlise) to replace him with Larry Brown who took them to two Finals.

So Dumars, I would say, made some really tough moves. Unpopular moves. Some worked (Larry Bronw), some didn't (Darko). Overall I think he did the best job of any of the GM's.

I loved the show. I love Mark just trashing Gar Foreman. "God help you if your Gar Foreman." ha ha ha

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Fred, I love Dumars too. Loved him as a player, even though he was part of the Bad Boys he was never really a "Bad Boy" in my eyes, & I loved him even more as a GM. But big star or no Mark makes a very good & valid point. The Pistons ruled the East because the East in the 2000's was awful. We all saw it. The West was loaded with all the talent & all the best teams. And the Spurs were still 1 of the top 3 teams every season. They faced the Lakers, Kings, Mavs, & Suns almost every season in the playoffs. The Pistons were facing the Nets & the Pacers.

From 99-00 season til last season

Spurs: 576-244 70% Win Pct; 3 Championships
Pistons: 497-323 60% Win Pct; 1 Championship

The Spurs did all this in one of the smallest markets in the NBA while rarely going into LT territory while playing in the ultra-competitive Western Conference. Buford not only found Parker & Manu as steals in the draft, he signed Bowen, arguably the best wing defender in NBA history in 2001, brought in Stephen Jackson, acquired Hedo for Danny Ferry, signed Big Shot Bob away from the Lakers, & signed Finley after he'd been waived by the Mavs in '05. Dumars would be #2 in my book, but I just don't see any GM in this league better than Buford, not just for his talent evaluation, which is the best in the league, but his ability to consistently build a winner around his star while rarely ever going into LT territory.