Dak Prescott

dennehy

Liked Posts:
.500 in a weak division...
Sure, but the implication in your post was that they didn't have much to play for in that game - that they were just playing out the season.

I know it's just one game either way. I think Dak is a decent QB who isn't worth a huge contract.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sure, but the implication in your post was that they didn't have much to play for in that game - that they were just playing out the season.

I know it's just one game either way. I think Dak is a decent QB who isn't worth a huge contract.
No, it was a .500 team that looked flat when they came here and their HC was rumored to be a lame duck because of it. All truths and yes the point was that one game does not define a player. Heck, if you were to just use that game, Dallas would be trading for Mitch instead the silly supposition here.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
No, it was a .500 team that looked flat when they came here and their HC was rumored to be a lame duck because of it. All truths and yes the point was that one game does not define a player. Heck, if you were to just use that game, Dallas would be trading for Mitch instead the silly supposition here.
The Cowboys just weren't a very good team, not flat or whatever, just bad imo. And Dak was a pretty big part of that.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Just to put this into context I am an Eagles fan about to talk about a Cowboys player.

Dak is fairly good. If I was to compare him to a past player it would probably be McNabb. His stats will always look a bit better than they eye test, but overall he's a very good, young, durable QB who can absolutely lead a locker room.

Someone called him a 'diva'. I don't see it that way at all. This is Kirk Cousins version 2.0. Here's been his cap impact the last 4 years along with his 2020 number:

2016 - $545,848 (0.3% of cap)
2017 - $635,848 (0.4% of cap)
2018 - $725,848 (0.4% of cap)
2019 - $2,120,848 (1.1% of cap)
2020 - $31,409,000

He's been by far one of the best 'deals' in the NFL for the past 4 seasons. Now the Cowboys have rewarded him by giving contract extensions to Elliot, Smith and Cooper.

When I mentioned this was Cousins version 2.0 I wasn't lying. The Cowboys are using the franchise tag to create leverage. The problem with that is they are on the hook for ~$31MM guaranteed this year and another ~$38MM next year. Combine the two of them and that's ~$69MM guaranteed over the next two years.

Dak has next to no incentive to take a deal that has less guaranteed money than that. This is what happened to Cousins. When Cousins declined then Washington's GM, Bruce Allen's offer which was marketed as 'the most guaranteed money ever offered', he was including the franchise cap years pretending he didn't paint themselves into a corner.

Anyway, many have mentioned the main disagreement was 4 vs. 5 years. Cowboys wanted 5, but weren't willing to provide much more guarantee or inflated salary that last year. Dak wanted 4 because he can then hit free agency again when he's in his prime.

What do I think Dak will cost? He'll be more than Carson Wentz and Jared Goff. Those were ~$33MM/season with ~$108 total guarantee. With Dak's deal being 2-3 years behind theirs it will probably be ~$38-$40MM/season with ~$120MM in total guarantee.

One final item to bring up. The Cowboys are not in a great cap spot for the 2021 season. They only have an estimated ~$32MM in cap space with no QB contract on the books. If anything Zeke's agent should get a raise. Somehow they threatened a hold out and managed to leapfrog the QB and #1 WR for an extension. Amazing work his agent that ultimately forced the Cowboys into making some tough decisions.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
The Cowboys just weren't a very good team, not flat or whatever, just bad imo. And Dak was a pretty big part of that.
Dak is that team's new Tony Romo.

His greatest claim to fame will be taking a sub 5 win team and getting them to 8+ wins. Not glamorous by any means and when facing good teams he'll be called a 'choker', but overall he's a very good QB.

Looking at the Cowboys roster it's the same or worse in almost all areas except WR. Their downgrades along the DL could really sink this squad and if their OL goes through some typical aging vet type stuff they could be in real trouble.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
This. Against good defenses, he's exposed. Dallas played in a bottom tier division. They were practically gifted 4 wins (Washington and NYG) and ended up 8-8.

Living in Dallas I catch quite a few Cowboys games. Dak Prescott is an above average QB. He'll stay in Dallas most likely and get paid. Jerry Jones always caves as shown with Elliot and Cooper.

IF he were to come here in 2021, do you think he could generate at least 3tds a game based on what you've seen of him?

Note: to all this is merely a hypothetical question

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
I am not sure how Dak would do sans that line and running game. I mean that literally as I really don't know much about him or seen him play enough to make a educated opinion. Do any pro-Dak posters have any insight or opinions about that more specifically?

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
See, I think Dak is horrendously overrated. We're he "the guy" at quarterback, then that team should be the favorite to win the NFC. They have too much talent all around Dak to not be favored in almost every game.

I think Dak must be less talented than the guys he throws to, IMO, or they'd be playing a hell of a lot better.

twetz

Liked Posts:
They were so 'flat' that they had a 17 play touchdown drive to start the game and intercepted Trubisky on the Bears first drive.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They were so 'flat' that they had a 17 play touchdown drive to start the game and intercepted Trubisky on the Bears first drive.
Irving thought the team looked flat for much of the year. 1st you say 1 game is not necessarily indicative and now you've got it down to a drive. OK (y)

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Dude could potentially hit the open market this upcoming free agency of the next.
He definitely wants to be paid in the range of $40mil per(maybe higher).
But will be a young top 10 QB who has shown to be very durable and healthy in his career.

Bottom line - should the bears be interested if Foles and or Trubisky are just OK.

4Yrs $164mil with $120mil Guaranteed will probably be what it takes to get him here in the open market .

This likely means no money to extend Roquan, Kyle Fuller, and Akiem Hicks In 2021
should the bears be interested if Foles and or Trubisky are just OK.

InferiorAppropriateGazelle-size_restricted.gif

you guys that want DAK is nuts, our oline is legit trash.

Last edited:

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
IF he were to come here in 2021, do you think he could generate at least 3tds a game based on what you've seen of him?

If our line plays like last year, no.

For example, when the Cowboys (on a hot streak at the time) played the Packers, they were blown out. They were down 17-0 at the half and the Packer put up another 14 on them in the third. In the fourth they scored some garbage time TDs to make it look more competitive, but it was anything but.

Dak's above average. Not as good as Romo IMO, but probably will have similar careers.

Last edited:

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
You obviously didn't watch the Thursday night game between the 6-6 Cowboys and the 6-6 Bears.
You kidding? That's my favorite game of the year!

Two things...

One, you can't go by one game. Look at the last 4 years.

Two, he played against the Bears Def, in Chi, and put up 24 points.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Look at this team's salary vs dead money vs cap and who do you cut to pay him? Hicks and Patterson plus a bunch of other guys. Do you trade for Prescott and ravage the team that way instead? If you want to know how long this D will be this good, it will be until we pay Dak.

It's not like you don't pay a top QB and make those sacrifices but that's bird in the hand type stuff that can be prepared for and really, he did not look special last year. he looked like a VG established starter. He deserves to get paid and has leverage but I just don't see how you fit him in here.
But he wants to play for Nagy!!

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

For example, when the Cowboys (on a hot streak at the time) played the Packers, they were blown out. They were down 17-0 at the half and the Packer put up another 14 on them in the third. In the fourth they scored some garbage time TDs to make it look more competitive, but it was anything but.

Dak's above average. Not as good as Romo IMO, but probably will have similar careers.

So my question would be how much of our OL problems were due to the Qb not reading D, not getting rid of the ball quick enuff and the inability to call audibles at the LOS.

As for individual games, I remember a playoff game where Dak kept putting up points, while the D kept giving up points.
I think it was a Packers playoff game.

1595299933728.png

Now had our D been given 31pts. done deal, adv. to next game

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Prescott is a full step better QB than Trubisky. Just look at the stats.

Even Prescott's 'down years' are better than Trub. I think Prescott will improve over time.

Bears need to be better at QB, and I hope they are this year, but we'll see. I think Prescott's a viable step up.

Do you think our OL would look better under a more savvy Qb?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Do you think our OL would look better under a more savvy Qb?
No and yes... Any QB who gets rid of the ball faster makes less time for the OL to look bad. But however long the QB has the ball, the OL will look just as bad, or good, regardless.

If the OL plays like it did last year, most QBs will look bad or avg. But you have QBs who can make blitzing Def look bad, like Rogers. Some QBs can move and throw the ball where it's supposed to go. And a QB who reads the def better, a more savvy QB, has a better chance to make a play.

Liked Posts:
Prescott has benefited from one of the best OL in the NFL, put him behind our anemic OL and his stats wouldn't look so good. I think it was a mistake for Dallas to pay Zeke.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So my question would be how much of our OL problems were due to the Qb not reading D, not getting rid of the ball quick enuff and the inability to call audibles at the LOS.

As for individual games, I remember a playoff game where Dak kept putting up points, while the D kept giving up points.
I think it was a Packers playoff game.

View attachment 6206

Now had our D been given 31pts. done deal, adv. to next game
A game that Zeke averaged 5.7ypc and had 125 yds rushing. I imagine that helps a QB. A game where GB had a 15 point lead going into the 4th quarter and allowed Dallas to run clock. Their 2 TDs in the 4th took 22 plays combined as GB kept them underneath and used the clock. Dak had a couple deeper throws but they were still under the safeties as is how that works. I like Dak but the idea that he's doing these things on his own is silly.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
No and yes... Any QB who gets rid of the ball faster makes less time for the OL to look bad. But however long the QB has the ball, the OL will look just as bad, or good, regardless.

If the OL plays like it did last year, most QBs will look bad or avg. But you have QBs who can make blitzing Def look bad, like Rogers. Some QBs can move and throw the ball where it's supposed to go. And a QB who reads the def better, a more savvy QB, has a better chance to make a play.

? But you have QBs who can make blitzing Def look bad, like Rogers. Some QBs can move and throw the ball where it's supposed to go. And a QB who reads the def better, a more savvy QB, has a better chance to make a play. ?
^^^^^^^
ALL THIS. (y)

I'll also add LEADERSHIP. Getting the offense to mentally buy into winning.

Right now we're missing these things

Last edited: