Dalton contract and the 2022 Bears cap

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think you are confused. Your euphoria over the Dalton signing:

which I assumed was subtle sarcasm, but your repeated defense of him seems to hint otherwise:

has you bleary eyed.

I am just speaking the truth.

Have you decided on navy or orange for your your Dalton jersey?

The Rex stuff I've done for years. I'll take any and every opportunity to shit on the Most Overrated QB in Bear's History. Since you seem to be having fun looking through my old posts I'm sure you can find many more shots I've taken at Rex.

The Cowboys stuff is just facts. The oline was decimated. Look it up if you don't believe me.

As for Dalton himself:

A. He's better than Mitch. My dog is better than Mitch
B. He's not the long term answer by any means whatsoever.
C. Anyone freaking out over his signing (YOU) is a meatball.

Thanks!

(Oh, and grown men who wear Jersey's are creepy as fuk.)

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
See, that yawn emoji really does come in handy! Told you guys you'd like it.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He restructured Mack, Whitehair and Jackson, all were over $7M in dead cap to cut in 2022 before their restructures and their massive overvalued cap hits in 2022 were barely effected, as those restructures are spread over years. Point still stands that Pace has screwed the Bears for years to come with bloated contracts to mediocre, underperforming players, or ghost void years long before there was a pandemic.
Agreed, I think this fuckery has been written on the wall since they decided to keep Pace and I said it then. I'm just saying a bunch of teams have had to do stupid shit because you can't plan in advance for a $25-30mil decline in cap.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Now the 2022 disaster:The top 10 Bears contracts ( Fullers will not be there after this yrs $9M dead money cap hit this season)will be to players with an average age of 31yo. Actually Leno and Dalton won't even be on the team, just big cap charges due to Pace's masterful kick the can usage of voidable years.

But the remainder of those contract, to 6 older breaking down players, a current coach potato NT, and a keebler elf account for $108M.

Mack
Quinn
Goldman
Foles
Whitehair
Jackson
Travathan
Cohen

That my friends is the Bears cap core players, over half your cap to a great but questionably aging OLB and a bunch of slightly better than JAGs, some not even that.

All but Foles and Cohen costing over $5M to cut in 2022, remove Goldman and they all cost $9M+ to cut.

This team is cap fucked with backloaded guarantees and voidable signing bonus cap anchors for the foreseeable future. Pace will be fucking this team with bad picks, depleted draft stock, and cap mismanagement well past his last day as Bears GM.

why you getting all worked up
mack is not going anywhere obviously, he can be cut after 2022 if his production really falls off a cliff and they need to save money...
quinn can be cut as post june des and would cost ~ 3mill which in the grand scheme is less than 2% of the cap
foles getting cut would cost ~ 4 mill saving ~7 mill

as for trevathan, the number chart vs the notes dont make sense...if the notes are correct, trevathan's cutting him in 2022 will not be much at all, if the notes are wrong then yes this was a very poor contract structure.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Trevathan signing just pisses me off, because you're paying this guy to be a starter but he has sucked sooo fucking bad since 2019 that I don't understand why we signed him for so long... This was literally the worst re signing ever by pace.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Here is a bit longer term doom and gloom:

2023 cap space:
1616165197562.png

Top 5 players signed for the bottom 4 teams:
1616165286360.png

1616165379590.png

1616165585073.png
Those lists are littered with MVP's, offensive POY's, top skill players in the league.

The Bears top 5?

A really good but seemingly declining edge rusher, another edge rusher wit 2 sacks last season, a NT that hasn't played in over a yr, a lineman that doesn't seem to have a position, and a safety that has been going through the motions since getting his big contract and now seemingly hates the team.

Future looks bright.

1616165896702.png

:jonesy: :jonesy: :jonesy:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
why you getting all worked up
mack is not going anywhere obviously, he can be cut after 2022 if his production really falls off a cliff and they need to save money...
quinn can be cut as post june des and would cost ~ 3mill which in the grand scheme is less than 2% of the cap
foles getting cut would cost ~ 4 mill saving ~7 mill

as for trevathan, the number chart vs the notes dont make sense...if the notes are correct, trevathan's cutting him in 2022 will not be much at all, if the notes are wrong then yes this was a very poor contract structure.
So Mack until 2023 season and then only $14.6 M in dead cap.

Quinn and his 2 sacks for 2 more years of $15.5 M cap space then only $6.2 M to cut, but hey it can be spread over 2 more years.

Foles, nothing need be said.

and

Danny T and his negative cap "savings" to cut and guaranteed $6.5M dead cap in 2023.

Yeah, that doesn't sound bad at all.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The Rex stuff I've done for years. I'll take any and every opportunity to shit on the Most Overrated QB in Bear's History. Since you seem to be having fun looking through my old posts I'm sure you can find many more shots I've taken at Rex.

The Cowboys stuff is just facts. The oline was decimated. Look it up if you don't believe me.

As for Dalton himself:

A. He's better than Mitch. My dog is better than Mitch
B. He's not the long term answer by any means whatsoever.
C. Anyone freaking out over his signing (YOU) is a meatball.

Thanks!

(Oh, and grown men who wear Jersey's are creepy as fuk.)

I'll drink to any man who shits all over Rex Grossman. The cultish love for that guy just because he could throw one bomb deep a game is mind-boggling.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
talking about rex grossman a this point is like hemming your JNCOs

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Yeah yesterday he took the biggest upside of Daltons contract (only 1 year hit) and managed to even ruin that.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
$5.5m this year is not a cap concern. We've got something over $12m of QB dollars counting against the cap this year.
Outrageous!
18 QBs make more than that per year on their own and another 1/2 dozen would be if not on rookie deals. Spending at the QB position is not what's breaking the Bear.

Last edited:

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’ve said it before and most disagreed. Quinn may be the worst FA signing in Bears history.

Factor in the guaranteed money with productivity (which are the two most important factors), and there’s no worse signing I can think of.
Add to that the timing of the move. Going all in on an aging pass rusher who was probably a bad fit for the system when you know you missed on QB and your window on defense was closing.

In retrospect, last year should have been the roster reset but Pace ran it back with bad signing and bad coaches.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
So Mack until 2023 season and then only $14.6 M in dead cap. while saving 13.9 in cap hit, so a -700k hit, big whoop

Quinn and his 2 sacks for 2 more years of $15.5 M cap space then only $6.2 M to cut, but hey it can be spread over 2 more years. did you not understand what i wrote or are you unable to comprehend?
Post june designation
22 - cap hit 3.1 mill, save 12.9 mill
23 - cap hit 3.1mill, save 14 mill
24 - cap hit 3.1 mill, save 13 mill
thats less than 2% of the cap if you must cut quinn

Danny T and his negative cap "savings" to cut and guaranteed $6.5M dead cap in 2023.
The Bears included three dummy years in the contract for cap purposes. These seasons will automatically void if the contract is not extended before the start of the 2023 league year.
as i've said in my previous post, the notes don't match the numbers...as the notes say unless he is extended he will be a FA in 2023

Yeah, that doesn't sound bad at all.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I see the problem, you don't understand how the cap works.
Macks cap number is $28.5 M in 2023. If the Bears cut him they create $13.9M in cap space, he still counts $14.6M vs the cap and you create a huge hole at OLB. Your 700K hit thing is not a thing.

Cut Quinn post June in 2022 and his cap hit is $3.1M in 2022 and $6.2 M in 2023. You don't carry post June cuts into a 3rd yr. And I am not sure you are understanding, they actually need guys to field a team, so if you create cap space by cutting a guy you need another guy to take his place, presumably that guy will want to be paid to play, but you never know.

And Danny T's contract is easy to figure out. Cutting him actually would create less cap space, meaning that Pace has set it up so that it is better to keep him as a $5M/Yr water boy the next two seasons rather than cutting him and he will cost still $6.5M even if he is able to limp his way thru the next 2 seasons.

Let me if I need to type it slower for you.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I've been saying for awhile that the Bears already paid for these guys, at this juncture they may as well just use them if there's no benefit to unloading them. you can use these overpaid veterans as anchors for the incoming new talent. it's an indictment of the deals Pace made, it's not anymore complicated than that. the first 3 years with the team he was signing virtually everyone to 1 year prove it deals to see who worked out. when the Mack trade came up then he started blowing his load on longer more expensive deals. that's why the cap situation is where it is. I don't know the exact bias of how much more the defense costs than the offense, but there's a serious talent gap there, even with the old broken down/poorly coached pieces they fielded on defense.

tell me more about how some other's team's quarterback is going to go balls out with the offense that's in place though! the #1 target's had one foot out the door since 2020 began and you have a head coach that has an aversion to running the ball like any civilized balanced offense in the league does. a number of the issues that transpire on gameday have been bad coaching more-so than bad players, can anyone else agree with this?

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
I see the problem, you don't understand how the cap works.
Macks cap number is $28.5 M in 2023. If the Bears cut him they create $13.9M in cap space, he still counts $14.6M vs the cap and you create a huge hole at OLB. Your 700K hit thing is not a thing.

Cut Quinn post June in 2022 and his cap hit is $3.1M in 2022 and $6.2 M in 2023. You don't carry post June cuts into a 3rd yr. And I am not sure you are understanding, they actually need guys to field a team, so if you create cap space by cutting a guy you need another guy to take his place, presumably that guy will want to be paid to play, but you never know.

And Danny T's contract is easy to figure out. Cutting him actually would create less cap space, meaning that Pace has set it up so that it is better to keep him as a $5M/Yr water boy the next two seasons rather than cutting him and he will cost still $6.5M even if he is able to limp his way thru the next 2 seasons.

Let me if I need to type it slower for you.

i never said you have to cut mack, in the event you have to, it would be a -700k and then a player to replace him if there isnt depth there.

for quinn, i didnt know you cant carry into the 3rd year. so your right, they would need to carry him through 22 and then if he's still dead weight, he's cut in 23

danny t's contract - so since its easy please explain it to me as your far more the cap guru. why is his prorated bonus total 11.25 mill when the signing bonus was 4 mill and option bonuses of 3.65 were paid in 2020 and 2021.

1616185555489.png

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
i never said you have to cut mack, in the event you have to, it would be a -700k and then a player to replace him if there isnt depth there.

for quinn, i didnt know you cant carry into the 3rd year. so your right, they would need to carry him through 22 and then if he's still dead weight, he's cut in 23

danny t's contract - so since its easy please explain it to me as your far more the cap guru. why is his prorated bonus total 11.25 mill when the signing bonus was 4 mill and option bonuses of 3.65 were paid in 2020 and 2021.

View attachment 10880
Nothing about Mack is a -700K , by your logic if his cap hit was $30M and to cut it cost $15M in dead cap and $15M inn cap savings it would cost $0 to cut. You don't subtract the dead cap from the cap savings.

I already explained DT above but I will spell it out to the letter just because you asked.

Here you go:

Contract Notes:
  • $10M guaranteed (signing bonus + 2020 salary + 2021 salary)
  • 2020-2022 Per Game 46-Man Active Bonus: $18,750 ($300,000, 9 LTBE in 2020)
  • 2022 Roster Bonus: $500,000 (due the 3rd league day of 2022)
  • 2021 Option Bonus: $3.625M (prior to 10th league day of 2021). If declined, 2021 base escalates to $6.625M, fully guaranteed
  • 2022 Option Bonus: $3.625M (prior to the 10th league day of 2022). If declined 2022 base escalates to $6.125M, fully guaranteed.
  • 2023-2025 years automatically void 5 days after 2022 league year Super Bowl

Signing Bonus (2020)$4M/5 yrs$800,000 from 2020-2024
Roster Bonus (2021)-$3.625/5=$725K from2021-2025
Roster Bonus (2022)_$3.625M /4=$906.25K from 2022-2025.

$11.25M in bonus'

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Can’t argue with that. Pace went all in on the Trubisky taking them to the promise land gamble. He rolled snake eyes.

He should of looked for a escape plan earlier.