Dan Haren

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting aside is does this make the Nats more desperate in a trade for a starting pitcher like Feldman or Garza?

Willrust

Liked Posts:
Marmol is no longer a closer or even a setup man, but he can be a good bullpen arm without pressure situations.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I wish Marmol was on the DL also.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Haren on the DL is still an improvement over Marmol on the DL.*

* = 100% baseball related comment

I still suspect that the cost-cutting measures related to baseball operations this offseason were more of a hurdle to this deal than any anxiety over medical reports.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Marmol is no longer a closer or even a setup man, but he can be a good bullpen arm without pressure situations.

:enough: Marmol can't hit a strike zone for a decent clip and it'll never change, he's ineffective, and putting him on a team with 0 pressure compared to what we are at right now is next to impossible. Never thought I'd disagree with you this much on something lol

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
He is still worth more than Marmol. Once "healthy" Haren is the type of pitcher many teams would look for. IOW, he's moveable. Marmol? Not so much. As for the Nats willing to trade for a starter, that's interesting. One game under .500 but only 6 games back? I could see them pulling the trigger on a trade, especially considering that if they miss the playoffs this season, it makes them look a bit foolish for shutting Strasburg down last fall.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
At the end of the day the Cubs missed out on the chance to add a pretty crappy starting pitcher for a terrible reliever. I am not going to lose any sleep over this what if anymore.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
For those who whined of the horrible decision not trading for Dan Haren.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...2013/06/23/dan-haren-headed-to-disabled-list/

Well their is one thing to consider. Had the Cubs actually made the trade, they would have either not had to sign Baker who has yet to throw for the Cubs which would have saved money, coupled with that their is still an avenue left for Haren to take which is the bullpen. Marmol is spiced out of options.

Saffron.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well their is one thing to consider. Had the Cubs actually made the trade, they would have either not had to sign Baker who has yet to throw for the Cubs which would have saved money, coupled with that their is still an avenue left for Haren to take which is the bullpen. Marmol is spiced out of options.

Saffron.

But on the flipside, if Haren replaced Baker in terms of moves by the front office that would still leave an issue with the rotation. That is that Dan Haren would have bumped one of the two best performing starters in either Scott Feldman or Travis Wood from the rotation. So again which would have been better for the Cubs to downgrade, the rotation or the bullpen?

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
But on the flipside, if Haren replaced Baker in terms of moves by the front office that would still leave an issue with the rotation. That is that Dan Haren would have bumped one of the two best performing starters in either Scott Feldman or Travis Wood from the rotation. So again which would have been better for the Cubs to downgrade, the rotation or the bullpen?

I was only assuming they would have still went after Jackson. Maybe they wouldn't have with the name that Haren has. They could have went for Baker, Haren, Feldman, and Villy in the off season with Wood, Shark and Garza. Even more money saved I would think.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was only assuming they would have still went after Jackson. Maybe they wouldn't have with the name that Haren has. They could have went for Baker, Haren, Feldman, and Villy in the off season with Wood, Shark and Garza. Even more money saved I would think.
Hard to know for certain, but given the contract I think it is safe to assume that the front office would have pursued Annibal Sanchez and Edwin Jackson similarly. So again you are are replacing one of the most effective starters the Cubs have had with a severely below average starter at this point. Even though Marmol is worse I think a solid argument could be made that the team would be worse off after the trade given the relative damage that the two can do.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Hard to know for certain, but given the contract I think it is safe to assume that the front office would have pursued Annibal Sanchez and Edwin Jackson similarly. So again you are are replacing one of the most effective starters the Cubs have had with a severely below average starter at this point. Even though Marmol is worse I think a solid argument could be made that the team would be worse off after the trade given the relative damage that the two can do.

It's all speculative. It's hard to gauge moves on the front office as far as free agency because they have landed no one with elite status. We will see how aggressive they are when the time comes and if they can indeed land the right person(s).

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's all speculative. It's hard to gauge moves on the front office as far as free agency because they have landed no one with elite status. We will see how aggressive they are when the time comes and if they can indeed land the right person(s).
Agreed it is all speculation, but I just think that there is more to discussing this move than Dan Haren being slightly less shitty than Carlos Marmol.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

And?
The Cubs knew what they were doing when they were set on acquiring Haren. The team is gonna be worse in a month or so after they sell at the deadline again anyways. So I don't really see the point in belaboring that.