Danny Shelton dominating Senior Bowl.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I've read that he has been compared to Dontari Poe.

Shelton reminds me more is Poe, in fact they are identical sides.

Phillips is going to struggle in the 3-4 because of his height and high pad level. But he could be a Tommy Kelly type with some time and work.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
If I am Ryan Pace, I am taking an edge rusher (Randy Gregory, Shane Ray, Dante Fowler or Alvin Dupree) with the 7th pick and taking Jordan Phillips, the defensive tackle from Oklahoma, in the second round.

Im with you here.. there is a lot of people who have their favorites... but if you were ask people to describe their typical 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE they would probably say 6'4'' 260- 275lbs able to play the run rush the passer and play in coverage... Only one player out of the ones listed up there excels at doing all 3 even if he is not considered elite at any of them...

IF Perryman were to slip to the 2nd round for some reason I think the Bears would take him with that early 2nd pick... I think the Ravens will take the kid from the U... They put NFL athletes in the probowl non stop... I think Perryman has the skillset to do that by year 2...

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
IMO the 49ers have had the best overall consistent corps of linebackers in the NFL over the past several years.

I would sadly put our Bears at nearly dead last in that department right now.

Jones and Bostic may be serviceable, but we need ILB and OLB/DE in a serious way.

Ding! When you look at the players the 49ers have prioritized it's been linebackers and safeties. Bowman, Borland, Smith, Reid, Ward, they focused on the back seven more than the front defense. Aldon Smith was the seventh overall pick,for,them a few years ago.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Ding! When you look at the players the 49ers have prioritized it's been linebackers and safeties. Bowman, Borland, Smith, Reid, Ward, they focused on the back seven more than the front defense. Aldon Smith was the seventh overall pick,for,them a few years ago.

Hopefully another Missouri OLB makes it to 7 and goes on to star under Fangio.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I watched the Stanford game in 2013. Didn't look particularly dominant at all. His tape looks great against Hawaii and other low caliber teams like that but I have yet to see him really be disruptive in a big game. Worries me a bit.

It's mainly due to his leverage. Just stands up way too high. Maybe if Fangio thinks he can fix that, we could have a star NT but the lack of production against tough teams worries me a bit. I think I would rather have Fowler or Dupree over Shelton at this point.

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
Unless a top 5 talent falls to us at 7, I am really hoping we trade back. We have so many holes and this really is a weak draft at the top. I am usually not a fan of trading back, but this year is one that it might be the best strategy. That being said it would be very difficult to pass on an impact edge rusher or the best OL in the draft.

For instance if Marriota slips for some reason and the Eagles offered their 1, 2, and 4 for our #7, that would be a tough trade to pass.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Unless a top 5 talent falls to us at 7, I am really hoping we trade back. We have so many holes and this really is a weak draft at the top. I am usually not a fan of trading back, but this year is one that it might be the best strategy. That being said it would be very difficult to pass on an impact edge rusher or the best OL in the draft.

If that's the case, why would anyone want to trade up? Have to see a trade from both sides...

It's going to be really difficult to trade back unless Winston or Mariota falls to us. If Cooper, Ray or Williams falls, you run to the podium.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
But the fact remains there will be better players at more important positions when the Bears pick at 17.

Are you assuming we fall back for picks in the draft or is this a typo?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I watched the Stanford game in 2013. Didn't look particularly dominant at all. His tape looks great against Hawaii and other low caliber teams like that but I have yet to see him really be disruptive in a big game. Worries me a bit.

It's mainly due to his leverage. Just stands up way too high. Maybe if Fangio thinks he can fix that, we could have a star NT but the lack of production against tough teams worries me a bit. I think I would rather have Fowler or Dupree over Shelton at this point.

Watch the 2014 tape under new coaches, the guy is a beast.

That being said, Shelton, Ray, Fowler, Dupree all help this defense immensely and can play in the 3-4. I would not be mad about any of them being the pick.

That being said I think true difference making NTs are more rare than really good pass rushers, maybe that tilts things in Shelton's favor.

I think a lot will depend on free agency and whether the Bears can address the LB core and secondary to free up the pick for DL.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Can't you find a big fat guy in the middle rounds? I don't really like the idea of spending a high 1st round pick on a NT.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Can't you find a big fat guy in the middle rounds? I don't really like the idea of spending a high 1st round pick on a NT.

Unless you want Daniel McCullers, no.

Someone on this board wanted that guy, can't remember who.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've read that he has been compared to Dontari Poe.

really? as far as what? His strength or speed or athleticism...

I look at him against KSU and he has some really good plays where he makes an impact and then there are plays where he seems to get stood straight up... Even though he is playing a 2 gap technique it would seem he doesn't get a lot of leverage on certain plays and he doesn't drive the offensive player right into the QBs lap... Im not saying he cant I am just saying at times he looks like he is making plays... at other times he looks irrelevant...

I would love to watch more tape on him...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1886787/jordan-phillips

STRENGTHS: Naturally large man with good overall weight distribution. Tall, broad shouldered, long-limbed player with a thick lower half. Surprisingly athletic for a player of his size, exhibiting good initial quickness, lateral agility and impressive straight-line speed. Occasionally explodes off the ball and can ruin plays before they have a chance to work.

Possesses quick hands to slap away the attempts at opponents to latch on and control him and uses an effective swim move to slip free. Alert to the quarterback and shows good effort to gets his hands into passing lanes. Powerful. Can knock centers back onto their heels with his initial surge and shows good upper-body strength to lock out and shed. Anchors effectively due to his size and strength and shows good effort in pursuit in the tackle box.

Appears to be just scratching the surface of his potential.

WEAKNESSES: Not yet the sum of his parts. Too often stands up at the snap, negating his own power and while very quick for a man of his size, too rarely makes plays at the point of attack, as ballcarriers are often able to avoid him.

Inconsistent hand usage. Too often latches onto blockers and reacts to what he sees, rather than penetrating. Despite his length, has just two passes broken up in 27 career games.

Underwent back surgery in October of 2013 in an attempt to correct issues that had bothered him for a few years. As head coach Bob Stoops said at the time of Phillips' surgery, the procedure wasn't due to "one specific injury." Has only one full season of starting experience at the collegiate level.

COMPARES TO: Dontari Poe, Kansas City Chiefs: Because of their similar build and eye-popping athleticism, Poe is the easy comparison for Phillips. While Poe has emerged as one of the NFL's most intimidating nose guards, many others with similar talents have struggled with consistency in the NFL.

Phillips could just as easily wind up the second coming of Marcus Stroud or Albert Haynesworth, who lacked the requisite work ethic to take full advantage of their talents. Given Phillips' history of back issues, former first rounders turned early NFL retirees Marcus Tubbs (Seattle) and Justin Harrell (Green Bay) could unfortunately prove valid comparisons, as well.

--Rob Rang

Player Overview
Skill position stars may get the headlines, but football remains a big man's game and they don't get much bigger than the Sooners' Phillips.

The massive defensive tackle was a five-star recruit and turned down offers from virtually every other program in the country to sign with Oklahoma. After redshirting his first year on campus and recording 12 tackles in 11 games as a reserve in 2012, Phillips won a starting role as a redshirt sophomore.

Unfortunately, a back injury ended Phillips' 2013 season after just four games. Phillips recorded seven tackles, including two for loss and 1.5 sacks during that time.

Phillips started all 12 games for Oklahoma in 2014, recording 32 tackles, seven tackles for loss and two sacks, earning a spot on the coaches' Second Team All-Big-12 squad. Despite the fact that he has the equivalent of just one NFL regular season of starts under his belt, Phillips elected to forego his final year of eligibility and enter the 2015 draft.

Phillips' blend of size and athleticism is certainly intriguing and teams operating out of traditional three- and four-man fronts, alike, will be interested. He commands double teams in the middle and makes the occasional splashy play, demonstrating surprising quickness for a man of his size. He comes with obvious red-flags, however, not the least of which is his relative inexperience and the back injury which ruined his 2013 campaign.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Can't you find an undersized speed rusher in the middle rounds?

Shelton is more than just a big fat guy.

3 down NTs are rare and they go in The 1st round often top 20.

Wilfork
Ngata
Poe

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
What about signing a guy like Dan Williams? I'm not sure taking a NT at 7 is wise considering the rest of the needs on D.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just heard on NFL Network that my guy Tyler Lockett dominated.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Phillip Dorsett has also been getting a lot of attention. Plenty of speedy WRs.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The problem with him is he's only 5-9 180-pounds. He's going to have to run 4.3s or lower.

I know, but Wes Welker is 5'9" 185. And Lockett will also give us immediately one of the best return threats in the NFL, and potentially a star receiver.

MrDerp

Liked Posts:
Give me ole Bud from Kentucky if they were to go defense with the first pick. I personally think OT is very big need and would not be upset if they went LT with their pick at 7.