David Bruton - Possible FA Target

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
RE: Salary cap - Completely agree that the contracts will go up and continue to do so for a few years. I think like all seasons there will be tiers of FAs. The first tier will get paid stoopid money. The second tier will get a bit of a jump up. The third tier won't see much of the cap bump. IMO he's a 2nd-3rd tier safety for FA, so he won't fully participate in the big money grab.

RE: Team around him - Looking back at my post I can see how it's misleading. I was more looking to take his current existing production with a grain of salt. It's really tough to judge how good someone is when they are surrounded by play makers. Let's look at my team and Byron Maxwell. I still think he's a good corner, but when watching him with Seattle he could get away with different things because the pass rush was always there and he was covering a lesser option while having help around him. He had a smaller defined role. When asked to do more his efficency took a hit. Will that happen to Bruton? Who knows, but I was more saying past success with Denver's players in Denvers scheme (Wade Phillips is pretty good as well) doesn't always mean it will transulate to his new situation.

I'm willing to take that risk for 4mil/year Vs what you guys gave Maxwell. I think playing part time helps his case when it comes to supporting cast. He didn't develop a niche role playing off his teammates like a starter would with many more reps. And Bruton played well in starts before Phillips and before the great DL and CB groups were formed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I agree that he produced in his limited opportunities, but that was while being surrounded by extremely talented defenders with an extremely strong pass rush. Can the Bears replicate the pass rush of Ware/Miller/Wolfe/Jackson? Can the surround him with guys like Harris Jr./Talib/Roby/Ward? That's ignoring the ILB comparitive downgrade because thinking of that will only make people sad.

I'm not saying Bruton is bad, but at that asking price there will be more proven options.

Most good players are on good teams. It helps to have other good players to assist in making plays.

You can ask this question about everyone.

Is Mo Wilkerson really good or is that he plays on a DL is stud top 15 picks?

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd gladly dump Mundy and maybe even Rolle and just pay this guy what he wants. Gota be an upgrade over those two.

Liked Posts:
Sign me up for Bruton. I always thought he was extremely undervalued at ND. Nice to see he's having a nice career.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
At 6'2" 210lbs, and a desire to hit people and he is an exceptionally sound tackler, he fits the SS spot really well.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Depending on Weddle's cost, he is probably the only 27+ player I would want. Secondary needs a leader. Rolle couldn't stay in the damn game

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Bruton is going to be 29, but he has less wear and tear than the typical 29-year old SS. Granted, he's played high-level special teams, but to me this is the equivalent of signing a 26 year old safety. Could provide the team with a cheap starter, giving you the best years of his careers. And if his best isn't good enough in a starting role, you still have a solid special teamer and backup.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Bruton is going to be 29, but he has less wear and tear than the typical 29-year old SS. Granted, he's played high-level special teams, but to me this is the equivalent of signing a 26 year old safety. Could provide the team with a cheap starter, giving you the best years of his careers. And if his best isn't good enough in a starting role, you still have a solid special teamer and backup.

3 years for a 29 year old, he will be 31 when he comes off the books.

They need someone at SS who will be available and that is not Antrel Rolle.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Depending on Weddle's cost, he is probably the only 27+ player I would want. Secondary needs a leader. Rolle couldn't stay in the damn game

I worry that his breakdown has started.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I worry that his breakdown has started.
Weddle's breakdown was more about him publicly knocking the Spanos family while they were trying to leave San Diego. Here's a good ESPN article about how Weddle handled being placed on IR this past season.

Placed on season-ending, injured reserve earlier this week against his wishes, Weddle ran 50-yard sprints and did lateral slides on a side field while his teammates went through stretches at the start of Thursday’s practice.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Weddle's breakdown was more about him publicly knocking the Spanos family while they were trying to leave San Diego. Here's a good ESPN article about how Weddle handled being placed on IR this past season.

I think he checked out last year. It started before the season. And being fucking fined for watching his daughter perform at halftime, fuck the Chargers. Like that halftime speech to all their backup offensive AND defensive linemen was going to get them a win...

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
I say no to Weddle, we tried the veteran safety last year. This team needs young players.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I think he checked out last year. It started before the season. And being fucking fined for watching his daughter perform at halftime, fuck the Chargers. Like that halftime speech to all their backup offensive AND defensive linemen was going to get them a win...

The whole team checked out. I've got family that knew the Chargers/SD negotiations closely and it was just horrible. The players were put in one hell of a spot where they play for the city and the team was screwing the city just to get richer.

It's almost comical how the Spanos family has to come back to San Diego with their tail between their legs and try to negotiate a long term deal. So many prominentSD business people just want nothing to do with them anymore.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
No to Weddle.

Gipson, Iloka, or Bruton. Probably in order of preference.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I like Weddle a lot. He is a leader. That being said, speaking against the Spanos family has probably given him a demerit on trying to sign with other teams as a malcontent and it is clear that the Bears do not like players who speak up and question their leadership and decisions:(

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The whole team checked out. I've got family that knew the Chargers/SD negotiations closely and it was just horrible. The players were put in one hell of a spot where they play for the city and the team was screwing the city just to get richer.

It's almost comical how the Spanos family has to come back to San Diego with their tail between their legs and try to negotiate a long term deal. So many prominentSD business people just want nothing to do with them anymore.

A guy at my golf course is close to Weddle and he said the same thing.