David Carr on the QB prospects

Luke

Liked Posts:
DAY 1 STARTER

Mitchell Trubisky, North Carolina

Although limited in college reps, Trubisky has the best chance to start immediately. On film, I've seen him go through read progressions consistently. He looks from his main target to the next guy and sometimes even his third and fourth options. He also has the ability to tuck the ball and run, making a positive play. I think a lot of people are sleeping on Trubisky's athleticism. His build (6-foot-2, 222 pounds) reminds me of my brother, Derek, and Aaron Rodgers. People don't generally look at those two and see great athletes, but they can take off and run and are really good at it. I see Trubisky being this type of player.

Trubisky, who throws the ball from different arm angles, had a solid pro day, showing off his arm strength and accuracy. He has all the tools needed to be a Day 1 starter and I have fewer questions surrounding him heading into this month's draft, which begins at 8 p.m. ET on April 27 in Philadelphia.

HIT OR MISS

Deshaun Watson, Clemson

Right now, Watson is wowing everybody with what he does on the board -- but what I'm seeing on film is a guy who hasn't done any of that in a game. It's one thing to learn Cover 2, draw it up and explain how to read it. It's another thing to go and physically do what you're drawing in a game atmosphere. Trubisky is the only one I've seen do this. Whereas, in a game, Watson stares at his first target -- and continues to stare -- while two others are open. Whether that's the scheme Clemson ran or him not being able to do it, Watson is locked in on one guy. Once that doesn't work, he beats everyone on his feet and makes plays because he's that great of an athlete. I'm not guaranteeing he won't be able to start on Day 1. I just don't know if he'll be ready to do it.

The week before the combine, I was in a flag football tournament with Kurt Warner, and we played against Dak Prescott. We all know the success he enjoyed in Year 1 with Dallas. I see many similarities between Prescott and Watson, in terms of athleticism and the systems they played in during college. Prescott is a perfect example of how a system can make or break you. He rolled into a great system with great resources -- with Tony Romo, Scott Linehan and Jason Garrett all in the QB room -- and he was able to learn and apply his knowledge to the field extremely quick. Like Prescott, I think Watson has the ability to succeed early, but he must have a perfect fit.

Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech

I'm most interested in Mahomes. He has the most arm talent of anybody in this draft class, but his success is going to depend a lot on where he ends up. Mahomes was never under center in college. A pro-style offense is a completely different animal. He has the pocket presence, and I could watch him throw all day, but he's just never been asked to do the things he'll have to do at the next level. Do I think he can pick it up? Yes. How long will it take for him to execute it? That I'm not sure.

DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame

Going into the combine, I really liked what I saw on film from Kizer. He can get through progressions and stays poised in the pocket for a mobile QB. However, the coaches and coordinators I've talked to say Kizer is too robotic and programmed on the board. It's like he memorized the answers for a test, but does he truly understand the information? At times, he can move and play this way, too. I feel like everything is a little forced with Kizer and I don't see the fluidity with him like I do with the three guys listed above him here.

SLEEPER PROSPECTS

There are elements of the spread offense everywhere in college football, but four particular guys -- Miami's Brad Kaaya, Iowa's C.J. Beathard, Texas A&M's Trevor Knight and Baylor's Seth Russell -- flashed some pro-style skills that could translate at the next level. I haven't seen enough from these guys and don't think they could take the reins on Day 1. But I wouldn't be shocked if one of them were to go into camp, impress and come out a starter.

Take the top two quarterbacks from last year's draft class. Carson Wentz had a ton of experience running pro-style offense at North Dakota State, and he came into Philadelphia and played pretty well as a result. Jared Goff didn't have experience with pro-style schemes prior to joining the Rams. Consequently, it took him a while to get on the field and he didn't play great in his rookie season.

The four signal callers listed in this section have the knowledge and experience to run a pro-style offense, but they don't measure up ability-wise to the top prospects.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I don't agree with his day 1 starter assessment. From a Physical standpoint sure..And that's where it ends.

He's not some trancedent physical talent that can overcome the gigantic learning curve of the NFL with very Limited experience. I think he has zero shot at being a day one starter regardless of who drafts him.

Luke

Liked Posts:
I found that odd as well. I would have rather seen the 2nd tier QB's mentioned too.

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I honestly don't know how he doesn't have PTSD from his time with the Texans. In context, Peyton Manning had a shitty rookie year and got sacked a lot, but damn Carr never really got the help....

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think he meant run an O well as much as be able to play within an O and it's progressions. I think it's a given that all of this years QBs will have some growing pains. The one consistent thing you here from all the evaluators once the watch enough footage on these guys is that Trubisky has the best film. Something a few of us have said for a long time. I accept more film would be better but if you're picking these guys on how well they played in college with an eye on projecting that forward, Trubisky is the top guy. He could bust out like any QB but he should go 1st because when you look the guys with some specialness to them, he looks most likely to be able to read a secondary.

That said, if I remember correctly, Carr doesn't think any worthy of top 10 consideration.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't agree with his day 1 starter assessment. From a Physical standpoint sure..And that's where it ends.

He's not some trancedent physical talent that can overcome the gigantic learning curve of the NFL with very Limited experience. I think he has zero shot at being a day one starter regardless of who drafts him.

Yeah I don't think the guy who looked to the sideline for calls/adjustments is day 1 ready.

Bort

Liked Posts:
While I agree that Trubisky is a day 1 starter, I think the day 1 starter thing is kind of silly.

Nobody drafts a quarterback based on how well they think he will play in week 1 of his rookie season; they draft quarterbacks based on how well they project them playing over the next decade or so.

One could reasonably argue that, based on film, Nathan Peterman has the best week 1 starting potential and will be the best quarterback in this class on week 1 of his rookie season, but no one, including me, thinks Peterman is the best prospect in this class or is even worth a 1st round pick.

This is also why I give basically no weight to what system a quarterback played in while in college. Yes, a guy who played in a more pro-style system will have an advantage in his rookie year, but so what? Any sane person is much more concerned with how well the quarterback will play in his 4th or 5th season than his rookie season. The only real advantage of playing in a pro-style system in college is that it makes the player easier to scout because you get more chances to see him doing things he's going to asked to do in the NFL.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
personally, unless a team has a legit starter and a young guy has simply been drafted as the future because the vet is aging, then every QB drafted with the hope that they can be a starter, should be a day one starter. now, should you expect them to light it up immediately? no, of course not. but its a learning experience and the sooner they learn the better. and if they are so weak minded that early struggles breaks them, then they should have never been drafted in the first place.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
This entire draft is a little odd,

The ones that have talented arms like Mahomes and Trubisky, are only 6'2" which is not "ideal" But the ones that have ideal size like Kizer, Webb and Kayaa (a little light) have issues that make them less than the complete package.

Then Watson who is a natural leader and winner, just does not throw that well and is not the ideal height at just 6'2".

There is not a single one in this class that is a complete package, ready to mold into a NFL QB. That is why there is not a consensus #1.

laputan

Liked Posts:
Prescott is a perfect example of how a system can make or break you. He rolled into a great system with great resources -- with Tony Romo, Scott Linehan and Jason Garrett all in the QB room -- and he was able to learn and apply his knowledge to the field extremely quick.

No, no, no. Everyone knows Mark Sanchez was the glue of that QB room.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I assume "his" is "David Carr's" assessment.

Who is "he"? Carr referred to several QB's.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I will still ride with Watson.

At least I know he won't suck because of work ethic, ability to handle pressure, or because people won't follow him.

He could epicly bust out, but I am willing to roll the dice.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think DeShone Kizer will be the pick the Chicago T-Shirt thing and the other subtly hints, I feel is pointing toward the Bears drafting him at number 3.

C7nWH8gWsAA1A-b.jpg

C7nWItLWkAQ_Ips.jpg

cubby chubby

Liked Posts:
I honestly don't know how he doesn't have PTSD from his time with the Texans. In context, Peyton Manning had a shitty rookie year and got sacked a lot, but damn Carr never really got the help....

Amen. He was a great QB who became the poster child for getting slaughtered behind a hideous OL.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
"in a game, Watson stares at his first target -- and continues to stare -- while two others are open"

Sorry guys. Anybody, and I mean anybody that wants to draft a guy who cant go through his progressions is asking for trouble.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Agreed. I wonder who's paying Carr to say these things about Trubisky. Hell, if Trubisky were that damn good his team woulda' either won their bowl game or had a good enuff record to play in a higher bowl game. Also Trubisky played in a one read "O"spread just like Watson. I've watched Trubisky's mechanics and there were many times where he threw off his back-foot.

Can Trubisky be a good Qb....yes. Does he have mobility.....yes. But he's not head & shoulders above all the Qb's in this draft NO. If he's forced to start immediately, he will not have the success Prescott had and u can book it. What the other Qb's lack in this draft are the Trubisky "spin doctors"

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
"in a game, Watson stares at his first target -- and continues to stare -- while two others are open"

Sorry guys. Anybody, and I mean anybody that wants to draft a guy who cant go through his progressions is asking for trouble.

He is 21 and has played his entire career in a simple offense.

Maybe, just maybe, with NFL coaching, an NFL system, and a guy with an incredible work ethic, he will improve in that area and develop.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

He "stared" AT THE RIGHT TARGET ON 41 PASSING TD'S ( in 2016) . I'LL TAKE THAT KINDA " trouble" ON ANY GIVEN SUNDAY

@Alabama W 35-31

36COMP ATT.56 420 YDS 64.3% 43LNG 3TDS INT 0 145.0 RATING ........ STARE 'EM DOWN MR. WATSON......STARE 'EM DOWN

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I have always respected your opinion Windy but you are asking alot to expect Watson to make that kind of jump.

Watson is not showing alot of PRO qualities. Progression issues, lack of pro arm strength, lack of pinpoint accuracy.

He is a great kid. But as more analysis comes in, his skill set looks closer to Vince young or Johnny Manziel.

The NFL chews up one-read chuck it or tuck it QBs every season. All of those kids looked electric in college as well.