David Montgomery

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I do think he is good I think his play wasn't acceptable but I see it realistically. playcalling was completely obvious Nagy used him to run out the clock plenty of times without actually using a formation to maximize yardage and success rates the oline played like complete dogshit watching Montgomery run vs watching Howard 2018 is a drastically difference in style if you truly commit to a north and south running style you should always have more success in terms of power plays. What I like about Montgomery is his play style still allows him to make power plays while keeping his east and west style, they both have weaknesses and strengths.

Why don't you compared Howards 2018 and Montgomery's 2019 stats and look at Jordan Howards stats in 2019 and explain to me how he jumped so drastically in every statistic can you explain that ?

What are you talking about? I have been comparing Howard's 2018 and Monty's 2019. Once again in 2018, Howard had 2.74 yards after contact compared to just 2.27 from Monty. So about a half yard better despite only having 0.96 YBC compared with 1.23 for Monty.

As for why Howard jumped, his YAC is 2.93 this year vs 2.74 last year. So much of his improvement is from the Eagles OL being better than the Bears. He was getting only 0.96 YBC last year but is getting 1.47 this year. But as far as YAC, he is pretty much the same runner which just proves the issue last year was always the OL.

The main difference between the OL last year and the OL this year is last year the OL was fucking up a RB most wanted gone so people blamed the RB. Now that the OL is fucking up a RB that most here want to believe in, suddenly it is all the OL's fault despite the fact Monty is literally one of the worst RBs in terms of YAC in the entire NFL.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And yet you still don't understand that the data/stats don't always tell the whole truth to how good or bad a player has played or has been in a season. The stats do not tell the whole truth and sometimes the eye test is better than going off of what the stats say about a player. When a QB throws a ball that hits his WR in the hands but it bounces off the WR and into the defenders hands guess who gets a INT on their stat sheet? There's so much more to a RB having a good game then what only he does. You didn't think ARob looked like a #1 WR because of his stats but there was more to him not hitting the 1,000 yard mark then what his stats tell you. If you watched every game last year you would know that ARob absolutely looked and played like a #1 WR. You just keep chasing stats.

I am aware the stats don't tell the whole truth. They are just more truthful than Bears homers that have their head so far up Pace's and Nagy's ass that they can't be objective.

Your Int example is dumb because most advanced stats track catchable balls and would not fault the QB for an Int. It is precisely that kind of play that the advanced stats seek to account for.

Again advanced stats would look for the other things a RB or WR did to contribute to the game. The issue is not that the stats don't account for this. The issue is that you don't like the fact the advanced stats say Howard was better once you take this into account. If they had Monty as better you and others would be touting the stats. Just like everyone hates PFF until it says something good about a player they like and then people will quote it.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Or just watch every game ARob played with Bortles. I knew he was better than Watkins for a reason. Plenty football guys here knew Watkins was a bust and Arob was legit as fuck. Even in a shut down offense he is making winning plays and his winning attitude has stayed strong and consistent in good times and bad.

AROB earns every penny and is nearly the leader of a Fitzgerald level.

His example to Miller is priceless.

But this doesn't have anything to do with the argument. The stats said ARob was a better WR than Watkins as well. So anyone watching the games or looking at the stats could say ARob appeared to be the better WR. The main argument for Watkins was that he fit the system better but that went out the window once his price tag was as high as it was. He would only have made sense over ARob if he were considerably cheaper.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
What are you talking about? I have been comparing Howard's 2018 and Monty's 2019. Once again in 2018, Howard had 2.74 yards after contact compared to just 2.27 from Monty. So about a half yard better despite only having 0.96 YBC compared with 1.23 for Monty.

As for why Howard jumped, his YAC is 2.93 this year vs 2.74 last year. So much of his improvement is from the Eagles OL being better than the Bears. He was getting only 0.96 YBC last year but is getting 1.47 this year. But as far as YAC, he is pretty much the same runner which just proves the issue last year was always the OL.

The main difference between the OL last year and the OL this year is last year the OL was fucking up a RB most wanted gone so people blamed the RB. Now that the OL is fucking up a RB that most here want to believe in, suddenly it is all the OL's fault despite the fact Monty is literally one of the worst RBs in terms of YAC in the entire NFL.
I was talking about all 3 stats I'm very aware you compared the two but I wanted you to compare all 3.
That's the advantage of being a north and south runner typically but if you build an oline that plays to Montgomery's strengths I bet you it'll be similar to Jordan Howard or better.

And it wouldn't have to be an elite oline like the eagles.

MontanaXXIII

Liked Posts:
Yes gaining yards after broken tackles is a from of yards after contact. The point is Monty isn't doing that. Monty is 27th out of 27 in terms of yards after contact for guys with at least 130 carries. So basically last despite all the broken tackles. Like I said, it is like watching someone run in quicksand.

No, the point is that doing that generally requires not being swarmed. You can not compare Montgomery being swarmed by 3 guys, breaking 2 tackles, and being tackled by a 3rd, and getting 5 yards after contact, to Jordan Howard breaking 1 tackle of some piss-poor tackling corner with nobody else anywhere close to him, and getting 30 yards after contact on that run.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
But you have provided no evidence this is the reason for the difference. You came up with a theory that suits your narrative and passing it off as fact.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Lol at all this clamoring for Howard. Dude is in his contract year and averages less ypc than the other 2 RB's on Philly's roster and has been out injured like a bitch with a minor shoulder stinger. Fuck that weakness.

Bears need speed out of the backfield from a RB that isn't a midget and definitely not another plodding running back.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
David ha been a solid back, in terms of being a start he has looked BY THE NUMBERS, average. But if you watch that man play and I use the term man VERY strongly. He rarely goes down after the first contact. Howard and Forte, two backs were of similar size to Montgomery who were fast, but often would go down on the first contact given to him. I agree we need someone with more speed to go with him. But make no mistake about it, If the guy had a push from a good o-line and a good offense, he will threaten for a pro bowl likely every season, simply on the fact that his second and third effort numbers would be some of the best in in NFL, in my opinion. I have not seen a man push the offensive line and make yards out of nothing, since maybe Anthony Thomas in his rookie year. There would look like there was nothing eon every first and ten, but that man was getting 4 yards every time. I look to the Cowboys game as the best example of this because when the O line did get a good push we were talk 7 8 yard runs or better on a a lot more plays.

The reason Green Bay won't let that happen is because they want Mitch to beat them, not Montgomery. So they will be 8 in the box, look for the run, and go with whatever in the hope Mitch messes up or makes the wrong read.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lol at all this clamoring for Howard. Dude is in his contract year and averages less ypc than the other 2 RB's on Philly's roster and has been out injured like a bitch with a minor shoulder stinger. Fuck that weakness.

Bears need speed out of the backfield from a RB that isn't a midget and definitely not another plodding running back.

No one is clamoring for Howard. We are saying it is false to claim Monty is playing better.

If Bears need speed they probably should have drafted someone other than Monty.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
David ha been a solid back, in terms of being a start he has looked BY THE NUMBERS, average. But if you watch that man play and I use the term man VERY strongly. He rarely goes down after the first contact. Howard and Forte, two backs were of similar size to Montgomery who were fast, but often would go down on the first contact given to him. I agree we need someone with more speed to go with him. But make no mistake about it, If the guy had a push from a good o-line and a good offense, he will threaten for a pro bowl likely every season, simply on the fact that his second and third effort numbers would be some of the best in in NFL, in my opinion. I have not seen a man push the offensive line and make yards out of nothing, since maybe Anthony Thomas in his rookie year. There would look like there was nothing eon every first and ten, but that man was getting 4 yards every time. I look to the Cowboys game as the best example of this because when the O line did get a good push we were talk 7 8 yard runs or better on a a lot more plays.

The reason Green Bay won't let that happen is because they want Mitch to beat them, not Montgomery. So they will be 8 in the box, look for the run, and go with whatever in the hope Mitch messes up or makes the wrong read.

Lol Green Bay played nickel and dime the whole game. They were quite fine with trying to let Monty beat them.

This is the myth making of Bears fans. Monty runs hard but he goes nowhere.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
No one is clamoring for Howard. We are saying it is false to claim Monty is playing better.

If Bears need speed they probably should habe drafted someone other than Monty.

I agree with that. I wanted Henderson or Sanders but Sanders was too high up. Give Monty a line and he'll be fine but he will never be the home run threat. This offense lacks speed(besides a QB, OL, TE)