David Montgomery

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Fixed.

How was that 80 yard TD on his first carry vs HOU?? Nagy then gives him only 10 more for the rest of the entire game. #ceiling

Houston was one of the worst run D's last year. That was the exception, not the norm. And yes, Nagy's shitty playcalling doesnt help.

Last edited:

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I don't think talent is an issue with our RB room, I think that Nagy is the issue.

His game plan baffles me at times, he will run against a team that is stout against the run and Pass against a team that is getting gashed in the run game, and he will abandon the run game completely if they go more than 3 rushes without a good run. He has even had games where the run game was working well and he will stop using it all together....

Nagy does not like to run the ball, period, and when he does, it almost feels like an afterthought.

Monty ended up 5th in Rush among RBs, if I remember correctly. I'm glad we have a workhorse type RB, and I wish they could learn to trust the run game when the defense is presenting the opportunity.

Glad Cohen is back and I don't know Williams, but his stats suggest he is well rounded.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I agree he's not elite but he's a good RB that runs hard and never goes down on the first hit. We should of used him more as a receiver out of the backfield cause he does have good hands but with now having D.Williams and having Cohen back we could have a very good RB unit.

This gets me optimumistic

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
With Nagy going back to playcalling duties and teams stacking the box against Andy Dalton our run gane has no chance. Its a shame because he was really churning when Trubs came back from the bench.
They were playing cupcake defense(s). Look part of the problem is the offensive line is shit, coaching/usage and the fact that Monty is a good/solid back but he's not going to take over a game unless they're playing the Texnas every week. He had 2 100 yard games in 2020, barely cracked 1000 on 247 carries. Much better receiver (where the OL is taken out of the mix).

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don't think talent is an issue with our RB room, I think that Nagy is the issue.

His game plan baffles me at times, he will run against a team that is stout against the run and Pass against a team that is getting gashed in the run game, and he will abandon the run game completely if they go more than 3 rushes without a good run. He has even had games where the run game was working well and he will stop using it all together....

Nagy does not like to run the ball, period, and when he does, it almost feels like an afterthought.

Monty ended up 5th in Rush among RBs, if I remember correctly. I'm glad we have a workhorse type RB, and I wish they could learn to trust the run game when the defense is presenting the opportunity.

Glad Cohen is back and I don't know Williams, but his stats suggest he is well rounded.

Translation-Nagy is a piece of shit

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Montgomery is not currently an issue. He's a competent workhorse for our team.

Yeah the RB's and starting outside WR's shouldn't be the problem with the offense, hopefully Kmet takes the next step but looks like he could still be brought along a little slow if we end up keeping J.Graham around. What we need to hope for is the play calling, O-Line and QB to have been upgraded.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
They were playing cupcake defense(s). Look part of the problem is the offensive line is shit, coaching/usage and the fact that Monty is a good/solid back but he's not going to take over a game unless they're playing the Texnas every week. He had 2 100 yard games in 2020, barely cracked 1000 on 247 carries. Much better receiver (where the OL is taken out of the mix).
when does playing receiver remove OL play lol wtf kinda garbage is that ? he had 3 100 yard games, we had the worst possible run line in 2020 and he was top 5 RB ?!?!? in rushing ?!?!?!?!? literally everything you're saying is fucking stupid lacks any actual though, facts or care. no running back takes over a game without the OLINE having a good game. you forget to mention he avg 15 carries a game and thats because he had a bunch of 10 and under carry games and he was forced to run the ball 10 times+ in the final minutes when the defense knew he was going to get the ball to run out the clock.....

I don't understand how you try to downplay montgomery but than say the Oline and playcalling is shit how the fuck did he get top 5 in rushing and like top 5 in yards from scrimmage ?!??!

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Monty was top 6 in rushing yards in 2020 with a shit OL and horrible play calling and that was with missing a game (maybe two? can't remember). What do you people want?

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Monty was top 6 in rushing yards in 2020 with a shit OL and horrible play calling and that was with missing a game (maybe two? can't remember). What do you people want?
retardsthatdontknowmath.png

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
This. Solid player but lacks home run ability on a weekly basis
Eh. I'll take a back with elite contact balance over elite speed. The last guy to have a lasting impact with elite speed was Peterson, who also happened to have elite contact balance. My point is the guys with top of the food chain speed tend to wear out very quick in the NFL. The vast majority of backs we think of as dominant past or present weren't burners. Modern day look at backs like Hunt and Bell when they were not busy being ass mites for thier teams.

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
when does playing receiver remove OL play lol wtf kinda garbage is that ? he had 3 100 yard games, we had the worst possible run line in 2020 and he was top 5 RB ?!?!? in rushing ?!?!?!?!? literally everything you're saying is fucking stupid lacks any actual though, facts or care. no running back takes over a game without the OLINE having a good game. you forget to mention he avg 15 carries a game and thats because he had a bunch of 10 and under carry games and he was forced to run the ball 10 times+ in the final minutes when the defense knew he was going to get the ball to run out the clock.....

I don't understand how you try to downplay montgomery but than say the Oline and playcalling is shit how the fuck did he get top 5 in rushing and like top 5 in yards from scrimmage ?!??!
It takes the line completely out of the picture if he's catching the fucking ball you dolt, and not running into their backs. Do you see the gap between him and Dalvin Cook? Great, he piled up 1070 yards, almost a third of that against shit defenses. You probably were on the Mitch train too when he was beating up on trash teams. Monty is not a problem; I never said he was but he's not on Cook/Kamara level. D Cook missed 2 games and still ran for 1500 + and their line is trash.

I left Aaron Jones out of this convo because of Rodgers, I think he's a faster back though. Monty is the 3rd best back in the division and probably 5-6th in the conference. I would say bottom half of the top 10 for the NFL.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
It takes the line completely out of the picture if he's catching the fucking ball you dolt, and not running into their backs. Do you see the gap between him and Dalvin Cook? Great, he piled up 1070 yards, almost a third of that against shit defenses. You probably were on the Mitch train too when he was beating up on trash teams. Monty is not a problem; I never said he was but he's not on Cook/Kamara level. D Cook missed 2 games and still ran for 1500 + and their line is trash.

I left Aaron Jones out of this convo because of Rodgers, I think he's a faster back though. Monty is the 3rd best back in the division and probably 5-6th in the conference. I would say bottom half of the top 10 for the NFL.
Guys like Cook or Henry are on another level. Kamara is an overall better back but you can argue that Monty is a better rusher. I think Monty being compared to the A Jones or J Jacobs of the league is fair. Get Monty some better blockers up front and he can put up another 200-300 yards.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Good point, but there's more than just total yards.
Being 5th in total rush yards doesn't mean as much when MOST of the league is RB by committee now. Ave yards/rush is the # to look at more than total yards.

We all want him to be given the chance to explode like he should....IF given even an average OL & playcalling. IOL is fine. Tackles sucked.

Maybe Dalton will create more of a passing threat to DEFs?, since Nagy's RPO opens the run by passing first, run 2nd. Clearly didn't work w/ Mitch/Foles. Total offense was terrible by every measure (esp. for an "Offensive guru)". DEFs just stacked the box & Bears need better Ts to consistently hold their own vs. that regardless...and esp. when pass threat is meh.

Spankypants

Liked Posts:
Monty also led in broken tackles and broken tackles behind the line of scrimmage. An average back with our turnstile tackles would have been toast.