Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I’ve seen it said numerous times by Bears fans that Fields would have been the #1 pick in this years draft. Here’s one guy that says otherwise. What say you Bears fans? Mills clearly played better last year. Fields clearly has more athletic ability. Who would you choose?
He is not saying otherwise.

Article is likely correct but that's simply because Fields, Lawrence, Wilson and Lance are no longer in school either. All could have stayed another year but are clearly not in the running as written. The thing about Mills is that he'd have been a year healthier/more productive and likely been a 1st round QB but there's nothing to indicate he jumps the top 4 QBs taken in 2021. I liked Mills last year and didn't think the Bear had the juice to move up in one for a player like Fields again. I was hoping they'd take the best of the rest and select Mills with their original 2nd (52) after taking a T in one.

I clearly preferred what actually happened and looked at Mills as a consolation prize but though he was easily the best of the rest. That he went in round 3 and 8th of the QBs taken was a slight surprise (more the 2nd part). I expected him gone before the 3rd and the 1st one taken outside the 1st round.

As for Mills, he's better off anyway and will get his big contract 2 years sooner than if he stayed in school last year.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The QB curse is official if this can even be questioned in a couple years.
I mean it can be questioned now to be fair.

Only homer fans can’t objectively look at this and question if the Bears made the right choice.

Time will tell.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
He’s comparing Mills to the current crop of 2022 QBs.

He’s not suggesting Mills would be drafted over Lawrence or Fields.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Article is about Mills being the top QB If he came out this year and yes that would be correct if it was just him and the current crop. Mills played well last year but a large part of that was due to his coach even making an attempt to play at his strengths. I’m too lazy to look up the Texans QB coach or Offensive coordinator but we’ll see if he does the same under Lovie and with tape on him

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He’s comparing Mills to the current crop of 2022 QBs.

He’s not suggesting Mills would be drafted over Lawrence or Fields.
Understand that.

I’m asking if Fields and Mills were in the draft knowing what we know now who would be #1?

Think many people (not Bears fans) take Mills.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Article is about Mills being the top QB If he came out this year and yes that would be correct if it was just him and the current crop. Mills played well last year but a large part of that was due to his coach even making an attempt to play at his strengths. I’m too lazy to look up the Texans QB coach or Offensive coordinator but we’ll see if he does the same under Lovie and with tape on him
Why is it the QBs that do well all get the “due to his coach or his scheme” comment? Both Mills and Mac get this every time people talk about QBs. Maybe they’re just better QBs? (At this current time)

And Pep Hamilton was the QB coach and passing coordinator last year. He’s now the OC so the system should be similar.

Last edited:

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Understand that.

I’m asking if Fields and Mills were in the draft knowing what we know now who would be #1?

Think many people (not Bears fans) take Mills.
There is not a chance and here is why…

Fields would have played in an incredibly explosive offense in 2021 with not two but three first round talents at WR. He also would have had an excellent TE. His numbers would have been staggering.

I actually like Davis Mills and believe he has a chance to be successful but I disagree with the premise here.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
There is not a chance and here is why…

Fields would have played in an incredibly explosive offense in 2021 with not two but three first round talents at WR. He also would have had an excellent TE. His numbers would have been staggering.

I actually like Davis Mills and believe he has a chance to be successful but I disagree with the premise here.

Well this board has come a long way if people can openly admit now that they like Davis Mills. When I suggested him as an option before last years draft it was pretty universally panned.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
@run and shoot help this man out

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Why is it the QBs that do well all get the “due to his coach or his scheme” comment? Both Mills and Mac get this every time people talk about QBs. Maybe they’re just better QBs? (At this current time)

And Pep Hamilton was the QB coach and passing coordinator last year. He’s now the OC so the system should be similar.
Might because a scheme or coach matters in a QBs development??? McDaniels knew that Jones couldn’t throw deep or intermediate consistently so he focused on what Jones was good at, imagine if Mac had to make plays. Wait, you don’t have too because that’s what happened in the playoffs.

Mills came off as a shock to me but Pep did put him in a good position to play well too. Maybe you don’t understand this concept because Nagy forced every QB he played with to play in his system or bust??‍♂️

Now of course both Mills and Mac could just be better QBs at the moment but we will know more this year. I don’t know who replaced McDaniels and thank you for telling me about Pep

Pretzel Logic

“I have forced myself to contradict myself "
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Pittsburgh Pirates
  1. Philadelphia 76ers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Pittsburgh Penguins
Davis Mills gets it.

Fields has had a poor scheme placed around him in a team that was treading water for two seasons.

Fields needs to show he's grasping what the Bears want from him this season though.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Might because a scheme or coach matters in a QBs development??? McDaniels knew that Jones couldn’t throw deep or intermediate consistently so he focused on what Jones was good at, imagine if Mac had to make plays. Wait, you don’t have too because that’s what happened in the playoffs.

Mills came off as a shock to me but Pep did put him in a good position to play well too. Maybe you don’t understand this concept because Nagy forced every QB he played with to play in his system or bust??‍♂️

Now of course both Mills and Mac could just be better QBs at the moment but we will know more this year. I don’t know who replaced McDaniels and thank you for telling me about Pep

So if you want a coach that focuses on what a QB is good at are you saying Nagy should have turned Fields into a running back last year?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Well this board has come a long way if people can openly admit now that they like Davis Mills. When I suggested him as an option before last years draft it was pretty universally panned.
I positively commented on Mills on this board after watching him throw at his pro day and viewing some of his limited game film.

I still would not select Mills over Fields. The ceiling for Fields is considerably higher.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So if you want a coach that focuses on what a QB is good at are you saying Nagy should have turned Fields into a running back last year?
Fields isn’t a running QB, I’m assuming you didn’t watch the games last year now. Btw Nagy told Mitch to stop running and that was his best trait