De Haan Re-Injures Shoulder

Granada

Liked Posts:
So Stan's fantastic "top-4" d-man acquisition -- who was damaged goods before he was acquired -- re-injured the same shoulder he had surgery on this off-season. In other words, he's probably out for the entire year now.

If you had any hope for this year, I'd argue it pretty much went out the window now.

Oh, and we're stuck with an injury-prone De Haan for the next 3 years.

#typicalbowmanmove

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/b...ight-shoulder-and-blackhawks-say-its-not-good

DaHawkz24

Liked Posts:
Bad news, and he wasn't playing great anyway. Any chance Stan will do anything good with the LTIR cap space?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Beginning of the year, nobody even talked about Gilbert. Now seeing what it is like to have a semi-enforcer on the ice that is actually playing good defense, maybe there is some hope. Keeping Gilbert paired up with the same guy every night should help his consistency, especially when you have a guy prepared to cover the net when he sees Gilbert about to run someone thru the boards if for some reason a pass gets off the guys stick.

Still want to see what Beaudin is about, time for the kids to step it up.

I guess this ends the possible trade of Gus to the Knights.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Beginning of the year, nobody even talked about Gilbert. Now seeing what it is like to have a semi-enforcer on the ice that is actually playing good defense, maybe there is some hope. Keeping Gilbert paired up with the same guy every night should help his consistency, especially when you have a guy prepared to cover the net when he sees Gilbert about to run someone thru the boards if for some reason a pass gets off the guys stick.

According to NBC Sports Chicago, it could be Montreal who is really interested in Guss. Montreal scouts have been seen at almost every Hawks game this year, and they are in need of a D-man. I'd be fine with trading Guss. To me, his defensive liabilities are just too blatant to overlook. Like last night, when he tried to defend that 2-on-1, he might as well have not even been there. He either has to either 100% commit to laying his body out to block the pass or 100% commit to the shooter -- he can't try to do both, like he did on that play, as he was caught in between playing the pass or the shot. In short, the guy sucks. Maybe if the Hawks were deeper on their blue line, Guss' deficiencies wouldn't stand out so much -- but we aren't, and they do.

I missed the majority of last game and saw that Gilbert took a penalty which resulted in a goal against, but I've liked what I've seen so far from him. For ages, we've been clamoring for a big D-man who can stick up for his team mates and adequately clear the crease, and I see that in Gilbert. Seabs in the only other D-man we have that is of a similar mold, but he is reluctant to fight; whereas Gilbert takes on one of the toughest fighters in the league in Wayne Simmonds a couple nights before -- you gotta love it.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
So Stan's fantastic "top-4" d-man acquisition -- who was damaged goods before he was acquired -- re-injured the same shoulder he had surgery on this off-season. In other words, he's probably out for the entire year now.

If you had any hope for this year, I'd argue it pretty much went out the window now.

Oh, and we're stuck with an injury-prone De Haan for the next 3 years.

#typicalbowmanmove

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/b...ight-shoulder-and-blackhawks-say-its-not-good
Is this really a that bad of a thing though? I know I haven't gotten to watch as much as I would like to this year, but I would say i've seen more bad than good from what I can remember. Although I don't really focus on individual d men when I watch.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I missed the majority of last game and saw that Gilbert took a penalty which resulted in a goal against, but I've liked what I've seen so far from him. For ages, we've been clamoring for a big D-man who can stick up for his team mates and adequately clear the crease, and I see that in Gilbert. Seabs in the only other D-man we have that is of a similar mold, but he is reluctant to fight; whereas Gilbert takes on one of the toughest fighters in the league in Wayne Simmonds a couple nights before -- you gotta love it.

The penalty he took was going straight after a guy that ran Cat face first into the boards. Konroyd said it was a clear penalty, and pointed out that it appeared that Gilbert looked over his shoulder, made sure the puck went deep, before going after the guy and just hitting him while the other guy was trying to get his gloves off.

I have been looking for a hitter on D for a long time too. It was pretty sad when the hawks were in the playoffs and NBC was just constantly showing Seabrook hits from 2015.
I think for the most part the fans are good with the retaliation for the finesse guys. Its sad watching Cat try to fight for himself. It will start to cause problems if he is the one that hits first, and instead of going back at him, they take cheap shots against Kane again.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Is this really a that bad of a thing though? I know I haven't gotten to watch as much as I would like to this year, but I would say i've seen more bad than good from what I can remember. Although I don't really focus on individual d men when I watch.

Fair question, but I would answer yes still. As Tater mentioned, I know he's one of the team leaders in hits. I haven't been a major fan of de Haan, but I would prefer him over any of his replacements. Losing de Haan means we'll probably be seeing more of Koekkoek -- compared to KoKo, de Haan is Lidstrom. He hasn't been a stellar top-4, but nevertheless, he's been somewhat serviceable at best -- without him, and with the defensive woes this team has had even with him in the lineup, I feel like it's only going to get worse now.

Granada

Liked Posts:
The penalty he took was going straight after a guy that ran Cat face first into the boards. Konroyd said it was a clear penalty, and pointed out that it appeared that Gilbert looked over his shoulder, made sure the puck went deep, before going after the guy and just hitting him while the other guy was trying to get his gloves off.

I have been looking for a hitter on D for a long time too. It was pretty sad when the hawks were in the playoffs and NBC was just constantly showing Seabrook hits from 2015.
I think for the most part the fans are good with the retaliation for the finesse guys. Its sad watching Cat try to fight for himself. It will start to cause problems if he is the one that hits first, and instead of going back at him, they take cheap shots against Kane again.

I'm was referring to the penalty he took in the Vegas game (hooking, 2nd period).

I have no problem with what he did in Jersey. I hear people like Jay Zawaski bitching about how it served no purpose whatsoever, but in order to genuinely believe that argument, you'd have to believe that team morale, on-ice chemistry, and particularly locker-room chemistry, aren't needed to be a successful team -- which is garbage. The purpose of the retribution isn't so much about deterrence as much as it about your star players having the confidence to play their game, be creative, and understand that they don't have to fend completely for themselves. A team with strong comradery, is a team with more confidence. I find Zawaski's argument completely asinine.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm was referring to the penalty he took in the Vegas game (hooking, 2nd period).

I have no problem with what he did in Jersey. I hear people like Jay Zawaski bitching about how it served no purpose whatsoever, but in order to genuinely believe that argument, you'd have to believe that team morale, on-ice chemistry, and particularly locker-room chemistry, aren't needed to be a successful team -- which is garbage. The purpose of the retribution isn't so much about deterrence as much as it about your star players having the confidence to play their game, be creative, and understand that they don't have to fend completely for themselves. A team with strong comradery, is a team with more confidence. I find Zawaski's argument completely asinine.
Bingo. Otherwise known as "pack mentality". It's something the 'hawks haven't had in a LONG time--and it goes both ways:

Player gets ran. Other player takes the offender to task. The Team's PK gladly kills off the ensuing penalty. Profit.

It's slightly better with Gilbert now. Past few years it stopped at "Player gets Ran". Now it's stopping at "Other player takes offender to task."

Granada

Liked Posts:
Bingo. Otherwise known as "pack mentality". It's something the 'hawks haven't had in a LONG time--and it goes both ways:

Player gets ran. Other player takes the offender to task. The Team's PK gladly kills off the ensuing penalty. Profit.

It's slightly better with Gilbert now. Past few years it stopped at "Player gets Ran". Now it's stopping at "Other player takes offender to task."

Right and not only that, but we have an enforcer/D-man who takes on guys like Wayne Simmonds -- seriously, when was the last time we had a D-man like that? Wisniewski, maybe?

I know Seabrook occasionally has dropped the gloves over the years, but not against guys like Simmonds and not on a regular basis. It's great to finally have a guy like that on the back-end now, I really hope he can stick.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right and not only that, but we have an enforcer/D-man who takes on guys like Wayne Simmonds -- seriously, when was the last time we had a D-man like that? Wisniewski, maybe?

I know Seabrook occasionally has dropped the gloves over the years, but not against guys like Simmonds and not on a regular basis. It's great to finally have a guy like that on the back-end now, I really hope he can stick.
NhL guys figured out Seabrook can kill you and isn't worth fighting. When he shows up you don't see many gloves come off. Takes alot to get big guys riled up or we'd live in jail.

He isn't a dick or agitator so you rarely see Seabs tick off somebody capable of taking the challenge. Is he supposed to fight Chara?

He is paid too much to fight a grunt, as NHL royalty, they don't have the clout to gain respect challenging him either.

He should fight Chara, that's his ideal matchup.

Granada

Liked Posts:
NhL guys figured out Seabrook can kill you and isn't worth fighting. When he shows up you don't see many gloves come off. Takes alot to get big guys riled up or we'd live in jail.

He isn't a dick or agitator so you rarely see Seabs tick off somebody capable of taking the challenge. Is he supposed to fight Chara?

He is paid too much to fight a grunt, as NHL royalty, they don't have the clout to gain respect challenging him either.

Gotta disagree. That is usually the case with bonafide "fighters" (i.e. John Scott, Marty McSorley, George Parros, Probert of course, etc. -- those guys instilled genuine fear), but not with guys like Seabrook. Seabrook has never even been a regular fighter in the NHL -- which is fine. I'm just saying, it's nice to have someone on the back-end like Gilbert.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gotta disagree. That is usually the case with bonafide "fighters" (i.e. John Scott, Marty McSorley, George Parros, Probert of course, etc. -- those guys instilled genuine fear), but not with guys like Seabrook. Seabrook has never even been a regular fighter in the NHL -- which is fine. I'm just saying, it's nice to have someone on the back-end like Gilbert.
Fair enough, I'd think anyone under 240 asking for Seabs gloves is a damn fool and he could smash bones or kill a man quite easily.

Rinkrat21

Liked Posts:

No way Vegas is dumb enough to trade for Gus LOL. Its gonna have to be to someone like Montreal who's GM seems to make some moves as silly as the GM we have here makes :)

Granada

Liked Posts:
No way Vegas is dumb enough to trade for Gus LOL. Its gonna have to be to someone like Montreal who's GM seems to make some moves as silly as the GM we have here makes :)

Must have learned from his old boss...

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

You're right on Wiz. I did miss him on the team as a good #4 who was solid in the back end and had one wicked point shot. But, I do know that Pahlsson was more needed at the time. And even though the stick screwed up his knee, I was always partial to Wiz beating the snot out of Tootoo.

But yeah, Most from Seabook was either early on he and Phaneuf, but I always had him pegged more as a hitter: Case in point: Wakey Wakey and of course putting Cleary ass-over-teakettle into the bench at the WC.

Gilbert though? A solid 5 in my book. I hope he can stick, too.

Seabs was never that good of a fighter--at least in his weight class. He never was really head-and-shoulders better than Phaneuf, a common dance partner. His game was basically hitting as I aforementioned and now that he's Cullimore-slow he can't do that much anymore.

Granada

Liked Posts:
You're right on Wiz. I did miss him on the team as a good #4 who was solid in the back end and had one wicked point shot. But, I do know that Pahlsson was more needed at the time. And even though the stick screwed up his knee, I was always partial to Wiz beating the snot out of Tootoo.

But yeah, Most from Seabook was either early on he and Phaneuf, but I always had him pegged more as a hitter: Case in point: Wakey Wakey and of course putting Cleary ass-over-teakettle into the bench at the WC.

Gilbert though? A solid 5 in my book. I hope he can stick, too.

Seabs was never that good of a fighter--at least in his weight class. He never was really head-and-shoulders better than Phaneuf, a common dance partner. His game was basically hitting as I aforementioned and now that he's Cullimore-slow he can't do that much anymore.

Man, do I miss the days when Wiz and Vandermeer were on the blue line -- I loved Vandermeer as much as I loved Calder, lol. Anyways, toughest blue line in modern history to me.

Wiz's beatdown of Tootoo, Seabs destroying Backes, and Seabs destroying Cleary in the Winter Classic for injuring Kane the last time both teams met are some of my favorite Hawks memories.

Last edited: