Dealing with an incomplete roster..

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
While I have been critical of Poles (especially the WR position) these kind of games are what you expect when you create gigantic holes on your current roster for the benefit of the future roster.

We can't throw and we can't rush the passer and these are mostly personnel issues. This was not a roster designed for success.

I do think Eberflus and company are making this team as competitive as they can. It will be ugly against teams that can throw the ball well (see GB) but we will remain competitive against lesser offensive teams.

Poles is going to have his shots early in the draft and that will dictate the future of this team.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
The Bears will probably draft a defensive player with our 1st pick. Won't be surprised.
Neither would I. Poles will just try to acquire talent in this next draft at any position. He DGAF about Fields development. I think Fields is really going to have to show something in the 2nd half of the season for him to "earn" an early pick at OL or WR.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
He DGAF about Fields development.
Much as we all want Fields to be the guy, Poles didn't draft him, and he very well might not be. Hamstrung by Pace's moves to repeatedly kick financial can down the road season after season, Poles needed to set himself up for his own rebuild. If Fields is the real deal, he'll develop even with a lesser-than roster around him. Think in terms of wins and the eyeball test, not as much the numbers. Rocky start so far but this was always a lost season as far as wins/competing goes. Enjoy it for what it is, IMO of course.

Last edited:

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Neither would I. Poles will just try to acquire talent in this next draft at any position. He DGAF about Fields development. I think Fields is really going to have to show something in the 2nd half of the season for him to "earn" an early pick at OL or WR.
This is why the Bears fucking suck. QB is literally the only position that matters. Their strategy this season was do nothing on the offensive side and hope Fields turns into Aaron Rodgers. Everything the Bears do should be geared towards helping Fields - and if Fields isn't the guy in the end you'll at least be setting up the next QB for success.

Going 'BPA' in the draft is killing the Bears. Because what happens is you end up with good players at random positions and then you draft a 5th round OT and a 3rd round WR and they completely suck. But hey, at least we have a good safety!!!

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Much as we all want Fields to be the guy, Poles didn't draft him, and he very well might not be.
Agreed 100%. Poles is completely focused on making the future roster better. Its way too early to tell if he is capable of that or not. It was a bad day for the rookies but way too early to be conclusive about any of them.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
While I certainly don't write off that Poles will continue to try to build "defense first" going forward, not building a baseline offense in 2022/2023 would be malpractice. That was my issue coming into this year and will continue to be my issue until they address it.

Hopefully big moves are coming next year, but Poles doesn't seem like a "big moves" type of guy.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Going 'BPA' in the draft is killing the Bears. Because what happens is you end up with good players at random positions and then you draft a 5th round OT and a 3rd round WR and they completely suck. But hey, at least we have a good safety!!!
Trust me. I felt the frustration when Pettis dropped the ball and when our OL couldn't pick up those inside blitzes.

Bad timing for Fields to change GMs after his rookie year. If Fields shows something the 2nd half of this season I think Poles will get him some help. But I don't think that signing Tyreek Hill would make this team a playoff contender so Fields get the shaft in his second season.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
While I certainly don't write off that Poles will continue to try to build "defense first" going forward, not building a baseline offense in 2022/2023 would be malpractice. That was my issue coming into this year and will continue to be my issue until they address it.
I was critical of that too and felt we needed more help at WR after the ARob departure.

Its tough to think 2 to 3 seasons ahead while we lose to Barkley running the wildcat. But this type of roster is pretty standard fare for most teams rebuilding and acquiring draft capital.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
The Bears will probably draft a defensive player with our 1st pick. Won't be surprised.

I'm less concerned about the position than I am about the quality. As long as they draft a good football player that improves the caliber of the team, I'm fine with it.

That said, our WR corps needs an injection of talent.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
This is why the Bears fucking suck. QB is literally the only position that matters. Their strategy this season was do nothing on the offensive side and hope Fields turns into Aaron Rodgers. Everything the Bears do should be geared towards helping Fields - and if Fields isn't the guy in the end you'll at least be setting up the next QB for success.

If QB "is literally the only position that matters" then it doesn't matter who is out there on the offensive side of the balls because they wouldn't matter. I think what you are trying to say is that young QBs need talent around him to succeed. I would agree.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Lacking personnel to rush the passer?!

Where's Robert Quinn? You know the guy who broke Richard Dent's single season sack record in franchise history last year?

Pretzel Logic

“I have forced myself to contradict myself "
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Pittsburgh Pirates
  1. Philadelphia 76ers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Pittsburgh Penguins
Lacking personnel to rush the passer?!

Where's Robert Quinn? You know the guy who broke Richard Dent's single season sack record in franchise history last year?
Facing double teams?

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Can’t rush the passer when the other team isn’t throwing since you can’t stop the run.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Just about everything said about Fields could be said for Kyler Gordon. He's struggling mightily out there, but what else are you going to do? Gotta give him the whole season to take his lumps and see if he can learn from his mistakes and put things together.

Specifically for Gordon, i'm thinking about the year or two where Kyle Fuller was straight up bad. Then all of a sudden he became a top corner in the league for a year or two.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Defense has fared okay considering the personnel departures. Other than GB we really haven't played offensive powerhouses so I am sure it will get ugly when we face talented QBs.

I am not sure what happened to the Mooney Fields connection but that is the only guy right now that can get open against man coverage.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Defense has been ok?!

Giants ran for 262 yards yesterday and won with both QBs injured, what games have you been watching?!

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
While I have been critical of Poles (especially the WR position) these kind of games are what you expect when you create gigantic holes on your current roster for the benefit of the future roster.

We can't throw and we can't rush the passer and these are mostly personnel issues. This was not a roster designed for success.

I do think Eberflus and company are making this team as competitive as they can. It will be ugly against teams that can throw the ball well (see GB) but we will remain competitive against lesser offensive teams.

Poles is going to have his shots early in the draft and that will dictate the future of this team.

yeah these next level coaches waitied until the half to make adjustments... which led to duh bears knocking out sweet feet daniel jones and that unstoppable boot from the first half.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Agreed 100%. Poles is completely focused on making the future roster better. Its way too early to tell if he is capable of that or not. It was a bad day for the rookies but way too early to be conclusive about any of them.

Honestly, I think people are over-reaching one way or the other on how they think Poles feels about Fields.

The roster has too many holes as it is - I think a smart GM knows his essentially rookie QB can't be judged properly on that.

The Bears have a guy in Fields that they are going to build a team around. And with all the holes, its stupid to think Fields has to "earn" a wide receiver or O Lineman to be taken at the top of the draft. That's begging for your GM to reach for a pick and brace yourself for when he doesn't.

Poles will take BPA on his board. Whether its a WR or a defensive player, he's going BPA because there are too many holes.

And he will continue to do that until he feels he has enough of a team around Fields, and if by that point, Fields hasn't taken off, then they draft the QB last, who has a team ready made for him.

Its really that simple.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
And with all the holes, its stupid to think Fields has to "earn" a wide receiver or O Lineman to be taken at the top of the draft. That's begging for your GM to reach for a pick and brace yourself for when he doesn't.
Agreed in part. There are WRs who fit a QB, to some degree. An inaccurate QB does a little better with receivers with a large catch radius, while very accurate QBs just want a guy that can get open.

"Earn" might not have been the best word, but if Fields is still playing poorly at the end of the season I think it does influence personnel. A GM may not make a huge jump but if you have a similarly graded receiver vs DL you might be inclined to pick the WR if you like your QB.