Defend your draft strategy

greg23

Liked Posts:
Picking a side of the ball to draft and picking a specific position to draft is what fans do.

Just pick the most imoactful player available no matter what (outside of qb if you have a qb).

If that means we draft sequan barkley.....perfect....im all in as he's a stud.

If that means picking nelson....fine.....hes a stud.

But it could also mean drafting Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Ferrell, or a few other defensive players and that would be fine too.

We lack elite talented playmakers across the board we just need to keep adding them.

As for adding a wr at #8.....just don't see one being ranked that high when all is said and done.

Grab a few in fa and then look for one later in the draft.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
Trading back also gives you the option to use the extra picks to move up in the 2nd round.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I think the draft will really be impacted a lot by what free agents we sign, more so than normal if that makes any sense. Reason being, is because we are close to being a competitive team, but still really far away somehow.

I hope we make some great FA moves.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Picking a side of the ball to draft and picking a specific position to draft is what fans do.

Just pick the most imoactful player available no matter what (outside of qb if you have a qb).

If that means we draft sequan barkley.....perfect....im all in as he's a stud.

If that means picking nelson....fine.....hes a stud.

But it could also mean drafting Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Ferrell, or a few other defensive players and that would be fine too.

We lack elite talented playmakers across the board we just need to keep adding them.

As for adding a wr at #8.....just don't see one being ranked that high when all is said and done.

Grab a few in fa and then look for one later in the draft.

I don't believe any coaches go actual BPA without need considered. Maybe Belichek has a team stacked enough to do that but then he also finds sleeper players in the late rounds (good point about Pace so far).

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Of course what we do in the draft depends on free agency. However, I don't think you can draft based on need. At the same time, I think picking in the top 10 there are certain positions that have more value there than if we were picking around 15 or so. I wouldn't go into the draft thinking "I need a WR" or, "I need a CB."

I'd go in with an open mind to draft the highest rated OT, CB or pass rusher.

I know we have a glaring need at WR, but I don't see the positional value in the top 10 to draft a WR. Same for OG. I know Nelson is probably the surest thing since DeCastro, but I don't think you use a top 10 pick on an OG.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I know we have a glaring need at WR, but I don't see the positional value in the top 10 to draft a WR. Same for OG. I know Nelson is probably the surest thing since DeCastro, but I don't think you use a top 10 pick on an OG.

OK, I can understand that with OG. I just disagree about WR. I can live with different opinions.

I think that also helps me understand people's desire for defense early. That's where they think it takes more talent.

Nick80

Liked Posts:
I'm now hearing Nelson will go #1 overall. My source is the CCS message board.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Honestly, I don't really care, as long as they get an impact player. Whether that be a WR, pass rusher, or shutdown corner makes little difference to me. I'm only opposed to an offensive lineman with the first pick, and that's because I think you can get a quality guy in the 2nd or 3rd, unless they go LT. I don't see Leno as a huge problem though. It all depends on who comes back, and who they sign in FA too.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You ideally would go BPA since they have the QB. Hopefully BPA is a Pass Rusher because they need one bad to pair with Floyd and like QB, you don't often get a good one later in the draft.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
Considering 1st round Draft picks, key question for me is always this - what player gives you best value (from talent/quality standpoint) and surefire Day 1 starter at positions of greatest need.

So looking at Bears current roster, biggest needs are WR, OLB, plus RT and CB (considering how FA goes).

And at #8, there are basically no WR or OT worth taking without serious reach (recieiver Ridley and tackle McGlinchey, or some other, just ain't worth the pick, IMO), so it comes down to OLB (Chubb, Key) and CB (Fitzpatrick, Jackson).

Now, it would get interesting if Bears resign Fuller and Amukamara (they would have no need for CB then) and Chubb/Key are taken before Bears pick (not unlikely scenario), do you reach for WR like Ridley or maybe OLB like Ferrell, or you just go after BPA, no matter if it's the position where you're more or less set, and take OG Nelson.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm pretty much good with any position besides a WR. I know that sounds stupid considering it's our biggest need, I just don't see that All-Pro talent at WR in this draft in the 1st like I do at some other positions.

Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Nelson, Roquan are all very good prospects. One of these guys should be available and all fill a position of need.

My hope would be we grab one of those 4, then select a WR in the 2nd. One of these guys is bound to fall to us in the 2nd - Miller, Ridley, Kirk, Washington, Sutton.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
the more i see of josh jackson the more i like of him being a candidate at 8...game changing type of corner and would give the bears a lock down corner.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Mine is pretty simple: take the best player in an area of need on the board. That gives teams like the Bears -- with a bunch of holes -- quite a bit of latitude: WR, OL, OLB, CB (depending on FA), DL. But, if an absolute stud happens to drop you snatch him up even if it's a position you think is solved.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Mine is pretty simple: take the best player in an area of need on the board. That gives teams like the Bears -- with a bunch of holes -- quite a bit of latitude: WR, OL, OLB, CB (depending on FA), DL. But, if an absolute stud happens to drop you snatch him up even if it's a position you think is solved.
Exactly. Calvin Ridley appears to be the #1 WR from a draft board consensus. Even if they sign Landry and another top FA WR, I'd still be hard pressed to not draft Ridley if Chubb, Key, Nelson, and Fitzpatrick are gone.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
You pick top OL, once your line is solidified the whole offense will be better. You start drafting skill positions or singing skill positions you over pay for that talent and they don't live up to there ability because your OL is terrible. You don't build a castle starting with the roof a solid foundation first and the sky is the limit.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I personally do think Ridley is worth a top 10 pick. His route running skills are well ahead of where I expect a rookie to be. That leads me to believe he'll be able to make more of an impact than your typical rookie WR.

Fitzpatrick and a couple pass rushers are in the conversation for me, but I do not expect any of them to be there at our pick. And the fact is that Trubisky needs us to make a massive investment in WR, or next year will end up much like this one for him.

When fully healthy, we have a young gun at QB ready to take the next step, a competitive OL, serious RB talent, growing TEs, and a bare shelf at WR. Ignoring FA, I think our OL depth can be addressed with either or both of our 4th rounders. Our first two picks need to bring in a WR, and either a pass rusher or a CB with the other.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Pace has always said FA gives you draft flexibility. I'd expect a big push at WR, OL, and CB. But again, signing 1-2 FA WRs and drafting Ridley isn't the worst thing in the world.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Draft Marcus Davenport. He's a huge, badass edge rusher and can play WR too.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Honestly, I don't really care, as long as they get an impact player. Whether that be a WR, pass rusher, or shutdown corner makes little difference to me. I'm only opposed to an offensive lineman with the first pick, and that's because I think you can get a quality guy in the 2nd or 3rd, unless they go LT. I don't see Leno as a huge problem though. It all depends on who comes back, and who they sign in FA too.

My thought on LT is not necessarily to cut Leno but the habit of Bears moving oline around. We have way too many free rushers coming in untouched.
I don't know if that's best way but that's what they do. So if we have holes and can get a star LT upgrade LT and shuffle the rest.

Of course that habit could change with new coaches.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
My thought on LT is not necessarily to cut Leno but the habit of Bears moving oline around. We have way too many free rushers coming in untouched.
I don't know if that's best way but that's what they do. So if we have holes and can get a star LT upgrade LT and shuffle the rest.

Of course that habit could change with new coaches.

Why would they cut Leno when they just signed him to an extension?