Demand for Josh McCown an indicator of NFL quarterback market in 2015

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Demand for Josh McCown an indicator of NFL quarterback market in 2015

AR-150229551.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

The bidding war by the Browns, Buffalo Bills, New York Jets and Chicago Bears for Josh McCown illustrates how bare the cupboard is for NFL quarterbacks in 2015, including those coming out of college.

McCown is fresh off a 1-10 season with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who released him with one year left on a two-year contract he signed last year. McCown would have been an excellent mentor for Jameis Winston, whom the Bucs are expected to take with the first pick in the draft. But not at the $5.25 million he was scheduled to make. So now McCown has that role with the Browns after signing a three-year contract estimated at $5 million a year.

McCown, 35, has played 12 seasons (he did not play in 2010) and has a career record of 17-32 as a starter. The only year he posted a winning record was in 2013 with the Bears when he was 3-2. He had a one-year stop in 2007 in Oakland, where he worked well with Browns offensive coordinator John DeFilippo — DeFilippo was the Raiders quarterbacks coach — but he was 2-7 while throwing 10 touchdown passes and 11 interceptions.

The Bills are in the same situation as the Browns, which is why they were serious about McCown. They have a young, unproven quarterback in E.J. Manuel and the Browns have one in Johnny Manziel. Veteran Kyle Orton retired after 2014, leaving the Bills without a veteran, and Browns General Manager Ray Farmer never was enthusiastic about re-signing Brian Hoyer.

Winston and Marcus Mariota are the only quarterbacks worthy of first-round picks and, though it really doesn’t matter what they think, draft analysts Mel Kiper and Todd McShay of ESPN, plus Mike Mayock of NFL Network, say it would be a mistake for the Browns to bundle picks 12 and 19 and more to move for Mariota.

It would be an even worse mistake to use a first-round pick on a second-tier quarterback such as Brett Hundley of UCLA, Garrett Grayson of Colorado State or Bryce Petty of Baylor out of concern they will be gone before the Browns pick in the second round. When a team reaches, it gets Blain Gabbert (Jacksonville), Christian Ponder (Minnesota) or Brandon Weeden (Browns) and wastes years hoping for something that isn’t there. At least the Browns were wise enough to give up on Weeden after two seasons.

“For us, all options are on the table,” Farmer said at the NFL Scouting Combine earlier this month. “It’s simply about finding the guy with the right skill set to improve our football team. I would tell you there is a plan and there are names and there is a pecking order as to how we look at the players who are available for us to make a play for.”

Fans should hope there is more in the “pecking order” order than McCown, because he is not a championship quarterback. He’s better than nothing, though, and until they secured him, nothing is what the Browns had at quarterback.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
OH, but Mark Sanchez is our savior, haven't you heard the news from Mr Windy?

giphy.gif

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
And people wanted that scrub back all because of their biblical hatred for Cutler. Calm the fuck down people and wait till a good QB is out there. The people screaming for losers like McCown just to replace what we have "just because" are the same people who were screaming to drop Rex and we ended up signing Griese to a stupid five year contract while still having Kyle and rex on the squad. Neither worked making us trade for the devil. Now we are in the same situation.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
When I read that article, what I find interesting about the Bears' participation in the McCown "bidding war" as opposed to the Jets, Browns, and Bills is the fact that those 3 teams have young quarterbacks who the franchises believe can be mentored by someone like McCown, who is acknowledged as a great teammate and psuedo-QB coach (even the Cutler nut-huggers have to admit he was good for Jay, as Jay has said so many times himself).

So what were the Bears doing in a bidding war for McCown? They have no quarterback - yet, anyways - for McCown to mentor. I would be interested in the media experts' opinions of what the Bears were up to ...

Last edited:

Mitchapalooza

And people wanted that scrub back all because of their biblical hatred for Cutler. Calm the fuck down people and wait till a good QB is out there. The people screaming for losers like McCown just to replace what we have "just because" are the same people who were screaming to drop Rex and we ended up signing Griese to a stupid five year contract while still having Kyle and rex on the squad. Neither worked making us trade for the devil. Now we are in the same situation.

I agree that McCown is garbage, but people wanted him cause he led the NFL in passer rating during his stretch.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I agree that McCown is garbage, but people wanted him cause he led the NFL in passer rating during his stretch.

Thats ashame then. Like the article said dude has been trash for 12 seasons but people are really going to evaluate him off those games? Foolish

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I would think his most recent stretch where he about trailed the entire NFL would count more. He's neither of those things but he's also not better than Jay. Don't know what we'll do with Jay but we wouldn't be noticeably worse off with last years backups than we would with McCown.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
When I read that article, what I find interesting about the Bears' participation in the McCown "bidding war" as opposed to the Jets, Browns, and Bills is the fact that those 3 teams have young quarterbacks who the franchises believe can be mentored by someone like McCown, who is acknowledged as a great teammate and psuedo-QB coach (even the Cutler nut-huggers have to admit he was good for Jay, as Jay has said so many times himself).

So what were the Bears doing in a bidding war for McCown? They have no quarterback - yet, anyways - for McCown to mentor. I would be interested in the media experts' opinions of what the Bears were up to ...

Fales? And you even said in the post I'm quoting that McCown was good for Cutler, not sure what point you're attempting to get across. For the record I hate McCown and Cutler.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

To be fair, I think nearly every person that wants Cutler gone would change their mind if his contract reflected his production.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fales? And you even said in the post I'm quoting that McCown was good for Cutler, not sure what point you're attempting to get across. For the record I hate McCown and Cutler.

The Bears have given no indication that they consider David Fales a part of the future.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
To be fair, I think nearly every person that wants Cutler gone would change their mind if his contract reflected his production.

Is he making top ten QB money this year?

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Not Bearmick!! We can pay Cutler the vet minimum and he would not want Cutler

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
What's interesting is the Bills didn't want to wait around and see if Cutler hit the open market, if he gets the axe here in Chicago. Says plenty about their feelings towards Jay.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Am I the only one that was thinking that if there is a market for McCown, we can get a pretty good pick for Cutler.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah the QB market this year blows. If you're looking for a starter that is. Still some pretty good backups.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
His AVG per year is 7th for the position. So I'd assume this year he's top 10.

He was the highest paid QB last year. He's getting 16.5 mil this year, which puts him at 11th currently.