Derek King

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I feel bad for the guy being put in an unwinnable situation, and I don't think he's a horrible guy or as bad a coach as it shows but he's got to go right? Whole new staff needed to usher in a complete rebuild? I just don't know who or what the answer would be? I know he was good at Rockville with young players but that doesn't automatically translate to building a team from scratch.

Does he stay or go? Thoughts? Didn't they resign him already? Not sure I want him involved with drafting at all.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
He’s gotta go.

This team needs a coach they respect.

I don’t see the Hawks going after one of those, tho. I see them getting a players coach who is a wizard with analytical bullshit and a hugger.

So no Torts or Babs

Granada

Liked Posts:
It really won't matter who the coach is in the rebuild next year. It's not like you need a Scotty Bowman to coach a bunch of kids who are simply trying to acclimate to the NHL, the speed of the game, etc. So I'd disagree with the sentiment that he just "has to go" or else. Should he be involved in drafting? Not really perhaps, but there's nothing to indicate he will be at this point, at least directly.

It would be pretty pointless for the Hawks to hire a big-name coach anytime soon. King is experienced and respected enough -- both as a coach and as an ex-player -- to babysit next year, which is all we'll really need. It's no coincidence that his and the Hawks' record has been garbage since the deadline, which King has little control over. I actually blame the player leaders and vets more so than King for what we've seen since the deadline.

So to summarize, I'd be fine with giving King another year because it really won't matter either way -- we're going to suck, as any rebuilding team in its infancy does. Overall, King's fine for a young club because he keeps it simple. Since it would be pointless for the Hawks to invest in a big-name coach right now, the only other option would be if you make Crawford the HC. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to that idea, but again, it won't matter either way because we'll be rebuilding.

SkyKing

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For the most part, unless there is someone special, most draft picks for the next few years won't see NHL ice time for a couple of years. I'd have to agree that it really doesn't matter who is behind the bench although I'd prefer a coach with a little more fire in the belly. Maybe Crawford is the guy for now and King can go back to Rockfrd. Besides, any outside guy would have to think real hard about long term employment if hired as a rebuild guy.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
It really won't matter who the coach is in the rebuild next year. It's not like you need a Scotty Bowman to coach a bunch of kids who are simply trying to acclimate to the NHL, the speed of the game, etc. So I'd disagree with the sentiment that he just "has to go" or else. Should he be involved in drafting? Not really perhaps, but there's nothing to indicate he will be at this point, at least directly.

It would be pretty pointless for the Hawks to hire a big-name coach anytime soon. King is experienced and respected enough -- both as a coach and as an ex-player -- to babysit next year, which is all we'll really need. It's no coincidence that his and the Hawks' record has been garbage since the deadline, which King has little control over. I actually blame the player leaders and vets more so than King for what we've seen since the deadline.

So to summarize, I'd be fine with giving King another year because it really won't matter either way -- we're going to suck, as any rebuilding team in its infancy does. Overall, King's fine for a young club because he keeps it simple. Since it would be pointless for the Hawks to invest in a big-name coach right now, the only other option would be if you make Crawford the HC. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to that idea, but again, it won't matter either way because we'll be rebuilding.
Hire Hossa as the next coach, nothing to lose, the kids need to be taught how to play the game at a NHL level, Savard was great for Kaner and Toews, Buff, Sharp and so on before Q took the reigns, Martin St.Louis seems to be doing a decent job in MTL, yes they Habs are still losing, that’s because they suck, like the Hawks but the kids are very happy with Martin and his teaching abilities as a coach.

Bust

Liked Posts:
King is all but gone. Hopefully Toes joins him and retires early

KBIB

Liked Posts:
King is all but gone. Hopefully Toes joins him and retires early
I’m on board with it so long as they can get rid of his cap hit along with him.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Hire Hossa as the next coach, nothing to lose, the kids need to be taught how to play the game at a NHL level, Savard was great for Kaner and Toews, Buff, Sharp and so on before Q took the reigns, Martin St.Louis seems to be doing a decent job in MTL, yes they Habs are still losing, that’s because they suck, like the Hawks but the kids are very happy with Martin and his teaching abilities as a coach.
That's not a bad idea and you might actually be on to something here, considering there are multiple reports that Hossa is involved with talks to be involved in some sort of mysterious role with the organization. I'd be fine with that, but I will say, I'd be fine with King for one more year too. I really don't think it would hurt.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
That's not a bad idea and you might actually be on to something here, considering there are multiple reports that Hossa is involved with talks to be involved in some sort of mysterious role with the organization. I'd be fine with that, but I will say, I'd be fine with King for one more year too. I really don't think it would hurt.
With Tazers latest comments about wanting more communication with coaches and GM, having Hossa around in some sort of coaching role would bode well with this. The team certainly has to rebrand and market itself once again with everything that has transpired over the last little while, Hossa would be a very calming solution for many, Hall of Famer, Jersey getting retired, it would set the wheels in motion to what the future could actually be with the right personal leading the charge.

Bust

Liked Posts:
With Tazers latest comments about wanting more communication with coaches and GM, having Hossa around in some sort of coaching role would bode well with this. The team certainly has to rebrand and market itself once again with everything that has transpired over the last little while, Hossa would be a very calming solution for many, Hall of Famer, Jersey getting retired, it would set the wheels in motion to what the future could actually be with the right personal leading the charge.

No one cares what jonny chicken pox thinks. He a has been making kaner money. RETIRE NOW!@!!!

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hossa. I'd be good with that. The guy screams winner.

The cold hard fact is that as amicable a guy as King seems to be....he doesn't come across as the brightest bulb on the tree. Unless the higher ups were dictating it, his insistence on playing the same 6 garbage dmen game after game hoping for some sort of dramatic turnaround was borderline idiocy. It accomplished nothing.....you still don't know much about any of the kids. I could see playing these losers leading up to the trade deadline but it didn't even stop there. I think Davidson might have hung him out to dry which is a good indication that he wants his own guy. I'd be stunned if he's brought back.

SkyKing

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd guess Davidson is waiting the year out to see what coaches are available. He may have some in mind but cannot make contact at this point. King was up temporarily anyway so maybe he'll go back to Rockford.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hossa. I'd be good with that. The guy screams winner.

The cold hard fact is that as amicable a guy as King seems to be....he doesn't come across as the brightest bulb on the tree. Unless the higher ups were dictating it, his insistence on playing the same 6 garbage dmen game after game hoping for some sort of dramatic turnaround was borderline idiocy. It accomplished nothing.....you still don't know much about any of the kids. I could see playing these losers leading up to the trade deadline but it didn't even stop there. I think Davidson might have hung him out to dry which is a good indication that he wants his own guy. I'd be stunned if he's brought back.
Oh yeah? Which garbage D-Men would you prefer?

I miss Bowman’s smug smile telling us how far ahead of the league our analytics department was in determining our style of play. Meanwhile, it seems Q’s style of play is still killing it when he forms a team to his ilk.

I’m fine with King but we need defenders and goalies before we will get anything done. We also need to poach some video guys and analytics guys from winning franchises and figure out what other teams are doing and for King to stay he needs to be open to that change in style.

Kane needs a sports psychologist and he needs to learn to skate with the puck instead of using his Arsenal of skills to stare at people.

More Bowman hate, it’s just hard to watch so many defenseman that went through here playing high level hockey elsewhere.

Forsling, Helm, Joker, Leddy, Boqvist

With additions Jones/Stillman/McCann/Murphy would at least be a competent unit in some combination.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Oh yeah? Which garbage D-Men would you prefer?

I miss Bowman’s smug smile telling us how far ahead of the league our analytics department was in determining our style of play. Meanwhile, it seems Q’s style of play is still killing it when he forms a team to his ilk.

I’m fine with King but we need defenders and goalies before we will get anything done. We also need to poach some video guys and analytics guys from winning franchises and figure out what other teams are doing and for King to stay he needs to be open to that change in style.

Kane needs a sports psychologist and he needs to learn to skate with the puck instead of using his Arsenal of skills to stare at people.

More Bowman hate, it’s just hard to watch so many defenseman that went through here playing high level hockey elsewhere.

Forsling, Helm, Joker, Leddy, Boqvist

With additions Jones/Stillman/McCann/Murphy would at least be a competent unit in some combination.
Ahhh, setting new standards for buffoonery I see. Who is Helm? Darren Helms of Detroit/Colorado? Last I heard, he was a center. And McCann, who the hell is he? Wasn't he a catcher with the White Sox? So, Jones/Stillman/McCann/Murphy are competent? One dman who can play.....two who can't and baseball player.

LMAO......classic post.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
This defense core is excellent for next year.

As in…. Bedard excellent.

Hopefully Davidson is going scorch earth and putting together a team that will win less then double digit games for next year so long as we don’t move into the top two this year in the draft.

But with the way this team is producing shit on a gamely basis, who the fuck knows any more.

IF, and this is a really I hope it doesn’t happen if, if the Hawks win a top two pick and don’t take Wright, Cooley, or that defenseman and go completely off the board I’m giving up for a couple years.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This defense core is excellent for next year.

As in…. Bedard excellent.

Hopefully Davidson is going scorch earth and putting together a team that will win less then double digit games for next year so long as we don’t move into the top two this year in the draft.

But with the way this team is producing shit on a gamely basis, who the fuck knows any more.

IF, and this is a really I hope it doesn’t happen if, if the Hawks win a top two pick and don’t take Wright, Cooley, or that defenseman and go completely off the board I’m giving up for a couple years.
Fair enough.

The best thing for us is probably to have Kane change his mind and take back a boatload of 2023 picks.

Anyone have a boatload in first 3 rounds that would want him?

Get it done early with the Panthers for an array of young talent and then parlay that into 2023 picks?

Panthers would challenge the Lightning with Kaner and they might need him to get there.

The current Lightning line-up taking shape for playoffs is near invincible. Only injuries will stop them.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In tonight's second intermission.....Davidson pretty much indicated that King is gone. While he said he was happy with what King did he also said it was a good audition for him and that he would be "part of the process" in choosing a new coach.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
In tonight's second intermission.....Davidson pretty much indicated that King is gone. While he said he was happy with what King did he also said it was a good audition for him and that he would be "part of the process" in choosing a new coach.
There go his assistants.