Dexter, every snap.

cubsforlife

Liked Posts:
Still a 2nd nonetheless. Maybe I'm weird for expecting 2nds to be immediate difference makers on the worst team in the NFL versus being projects.
I would say expecting a difference maker is a little much. Maybe if we did have that top pick of the 2nd, but we didn't. Not that you can't end up with a game changer, but expecting it might be a bit much. The further you go down in the 2nd, that expectation lessens. And quickly. A second should definitely be a part of the main mix of players at the position, while showing a good amount of flashes. I think that's where he will end up on the year. A guy who shows flashes, should be in the main mix (let's just hope it isn't because everyone else sucks more), and should improve as the year goes.

Or, you can find a guy in the second that is more ready now, but less of a ceiling. But a see what you get type of guy. It seems that Poles, based on his strategy throughout this draft, is using his rebuilding year to gather top athletes that don't look weak. And use a development year to get them experience and learn nfl moves.

The last bit, is a guy who has all the traits as a first rounder, but got injured and fell. Some you hope make it put of the second and tho the third/fourths rounds. The really good ones would probably go in the second, but they will likely take a year or two just like a project would. If they ever even fully recover or are able to stay healthy long enough to be a difference maker.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Just look at how other rookie DL fared.

Anderson and Carter did well, as you'd maybe expect from top 10. Van Nass (top 15) had a sack. Anuzike_Udohmah (pick 31) played well. Passed that, very little. Tyree Wilson (pick 7) did nothing. Same with pick 14 Will McDonald. Pick 19 Calijah Kancey got injured, no stats. Late first rounders Mazi Smith and Myler Murphy did almost nothing. Isaiah Foskey (pick 40) was a healthy scratch. Derick Hall, almost nothing. BJ Ojulari, nothing. Keion White, one tackle. Keannu Benton, looked solid from what I saw.

Those are just the guys picked before Dexter. Couple flashes from who you'd expect mostly, tons of nothing. That's usually what happens with non-elite rookies in the first few games.

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I’m not sure what people expect for a rookie DT in a new scheme and also changing his approach in his first NFL game vs one of the NFL’s best lines. (It is concerning that most draft profiles had him listed as a fit in a 3-4)
You will fight to the death with excuses for poor play.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
A flash or two. DW flashed all over the place at RT Sunday. Made a ton of rookie mistakes.... but flashed.

I saw nothing here.
how can you compare DW a guy who only really has to learn getsy's scheme because everything else was nearly seamless, no position change vs a DT that has to essentially start over and learn everything new from not just his stance and get off but now is asked to penetrate upfield rather than be a space eater. Seeing a flash here or there imo is fine for dexter who is not gonna play fast when he has to think so much about what he needs to do on any given play.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
how can you compare DW a guy who only really has to learn getsy's scheme because everything else was nearly seamless, no position change vs a DT that has to essentially start over and learn everything new from not just his stance and get off but now is asked to penetrate upfield rather than be a space eater. Seeing a flash here or there imo is fine for dexter who is not gonna play fast when he has to think so much about what he needs to do on any given play.

My bar was higher for DW and he met it. Looks like a top of draft talent to me.

Dexter looked like he was worse than the DT drafted beneath him. I don't see anything positive there IMO. It's one game. Maybe he shows up later on. Fingers crossed.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
My bar was higher for DW and he met it. Looks like a top of draft talent to me.

Dexter looked like he was worse than the DT drafted beneath him. I don't see anything positive there IMO. It's one game. Maybe he shows up later on. Fingers crossed.
i think you just didnt like the dexter pick and i wasnt all that thrilled with it either but at this point its gonna take a year for him to get comfortable in everything, get off, pad level, scheme etc until he really gets evaluated as a building block or not.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You will fight to the death with excuses for poor play.
No I will look at situations with critical thinking instead of being a fucking meatball like you. I was not a fan of the pic but I’m also not going to write him off in his FIRST NFL START.

Was he good? Lol no
Is it time to panic? Lol no
Should fans and the front office write him off? Lol non

You of all people deserve the least amount of the benefit of doubt. Maybe Poles can sign Will Sutton to save the day!

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He has a few good reps, but he's mostly high, catching, and his feet stop moving on contact. Still strong enough to hold his position failr well most of the time. Not going to offer a lot on passing snaps for a while.

I'd put him move in the gaps, ask him more to just get up field and not read so much. Turn the brain off and just press the gap and find the ball after.

He looks better suited for Nose right now ie holding point of attack rather than the more penetrating 3T.

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
No I will look at situations with critical thinking instead of being a fucking meatball like you. I was not a fan of the pic but I’m also not going to write him off in his FIRST NFL START.

Was he good? Lol no
Is it time to panic? Lol no
Should fans and the front office write him off? Lol non

You of all people deserve the least amount of the benefit of doubt. Maybe Poles can sign Will Sutton to save the day!
I'm not writing him off. I just want him to look like more than a tackling dummy that the team can tee off on. Show me something.

Brisker showed us something last year, Scott and Johnson this year. Stephenson this year. Show me something that you belong in the league.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He’s consistently getting literally 0 push against even 1 blocker.

His get off is inconsistent, has no pass rush moves, these things we expect …. But he is built up to be this physical freak and idk I literally did not see it at all here.

No push 1v1. Like none at all. Looks more like a late round pick than a 2nd round pick.

Major yikes

Important to understand his role. He played mainly on run downs as he had 17 run snaps and 6 pass rush snaps. So his role was likely to hold his gap not get to the QB.

By contrast Jalen Carter had 34 pass rush snaps but only 6 run snaps so clearly was used more on passing downs.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He looks better suited for Nose right now ie holding point of attack rather than the more penetrating 3T.
My point is just to take away his read and react responsibilities more, just attack and don't think. See what he's got.

I agree, right now he's better as a 2 gapper but if you want to see what he's got, really make him play one gap.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My point is just to take away his read and react responsibilities more, just attack and don't think. See what he's got.

I agree, right now he's better as a 2 gapper but if you want to see what he's got, really make him play one gap.

Oh I dont disagree but clear with 17 run snaps and only 6 pass rush snaps that they played him more as a run stopper.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Oh I dont disagree but clear with 17 run snaps and only 6 pass rush snaps that they played him more as a run stopper.
Sure, but in an attacking defense one gap players can be effective playing upfield against the run too.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sure, but in an attacking defense one gap players can be effective playing upfield against the run too.

Yeah but it looked like he was 2 gapping more. Whether that was the plan, his being too stiff/high or him playing more like he did in college who knows. If that was him trying to one gap then he has a long way to go.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Yeah but it looked like he was 2 gapping more. Whether that was the plan, his being too stiff/high or him playing more like he did in college who knows. If that was him trying to one gap then he has a long way to go.
I know, I was saying I think they should have him one gap more.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Just look at how other rookie DL fared.

Anderson and Carter did well, as you'd maybe expect from top 10. Van Nass (top 15) had a sack. Anuzike_Udohmah (pick 31) played well. Passed that, very little. Tyree Wilson (pick 7) did nothing. Same with pick 14 Will McDonald. Pick 19 Calijah Kancey got injured, no stats. Late first rounders Mazi Smith and Myler Murphy did almost nothing. Isaiah Foskey (pick 40) was a healthy scratch. Derick Hall, almost nothing. BJ Ojulari, nothing. Keion White, one tackle. Keannu Benton, looked solid from what I saw.

Those are just the guys picked before Dexter. Couple flashes from who you'd expect mostly, tons of nothing. That's usually what happens with non-elite rookies in the first few games.
The problem is the Bears could have had any of these players and instead chose to acquire DJ Moore (a player they are too disfunctional to utilize), Chase Claypool (healthy scratch), Darnell Wrong (limited positionally, utter trash regardless) and Gervon Dexter (drafted because of his high school tape).

Ryan Poles gets judged against every single player taken in this draft. The Bears had the chance to get any player they wanted and they chose these guys.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
At least his get off was OK and he wasn't getting moved.