Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Show me one WR in NFL history who never choked when it counted... The point I'm trying to make is that even though they didn't have the best game it doesn't mean they suck. They are both great WR's and some times things simply don't work out.

No one is implying they suck.

4thand26

Liked Posts:
Good thread - I like to read peoples opinions on different qustions, and this one is a good, interesting, and fresh topic.

I thought Alshon choked at first, but the pass on the sideline was not an easy catch, and on the fumble I believe he had both hands on the ball. Just a bad break that he fumbled.

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
The Jeffrey Ball on 3rd and 17 hit him right in the hands and Shields did not tip it either. It is tough to call it a choke but Alshon makes that catch 9 out of 10. Marshall was a straight drop. Jay could have led him a little more but again Marshall is paid to make that catch. On the other side, Jordy Nelson was catching EVERYTHING whether it was contested, off stride or on the ground.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Also I think people need to define what they mean by choking. To me choking is blowing a routine play due to the pressure of the situation so for example Bil Buckner letting a routine ground ball get past him.

AJ didn't drop that ball because of the pressure. He dropped the ball because it was a difficult play to make (ie it wasn't routine) and he just couldn't quite make it.

Marshall did not drop the ball because of the pressure. He dropped the ball because his hands have always been inconsistent at best.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
They were only on the field for 10 minutes the entire game... Jay only had 25 pass attempts...

THe fucking defense was on the field for multiple 80 yard drives...

STFU please... you are an idiot

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
The Jeffrey Ball on 3rd and 17 hit him right in the hands and Shields did not tip it either. It is tough to call it a choke but Alshon makes that catch 9 out of 10. Marshall was a straight drop. Jay could have led him a little more but again Marshall is paid to make that catch. On the other side, Jordy Nelson was catching EVERYTHING whether it was contested, off stride or on the ground.

Rewatch the game... he dropped 2 balls that were contested...

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Also I think people need to define what they mean by choking. To me choking is blowing a routine play due to the pressure of the situation so for example Bil Buckner letting a routine ground ball get past him.

AJ didn't drop that ball because of the pressure. He dropped the ball because it was a difficult play to make (ie it wasn't routine) and he just couldn't quite make it.

Marshall did not drop the ball because of the pressure. He dropped the ball because his hands have always been inconsistent at best.

That's interesting and I agree mostly.

But choking could also just be not coming through when you need to. The offense had a chance to win that game. Why didn't they? Who's at fault?

I mean we all know the defense is the reason we lost that game, but I want to talk a little about the offense too. They were on the field to end the game, they had a chance but didn't make the plays. Is it choking? and if so, by who?

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Jeffery's fumble. Everybody fumbles, it happens.

Jeffery's drop. Yes he got his hands on it and yes he SHOULD have brought it in, with that said the ball was behind, and he had to leap over another PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE to bring the catch in. If he catches that, it's a highlight reel play. If he drops it, it's a catch the average WR would never make.

Marshall's drop. Yes he should have caught it. Not a big enough play to be considered a "choke"

4thand26

Liked Posts:
They were only on the field for 10 minutes the entire game... Jay only had 25 pass attempts...

THe fucking defense was on the field for multiple 80 yard drives...

STFU please... you are an idiot

Those drops didn't help with TOP.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's interesting and I agree mostly.

But choking could also just be not coming through when you need to. The offense had a chance to win that game. Why didn't they? Who's at fault?

I mean we all know the defense is the reason we lost that game, but I want to talk a little about the offense too. They were on the field to end the game, they had a chance but didn't make the plays. Is it choking? and if so, by who?

And it's fine if you define choking that way. I don't because then I think doing so results in failure = choking which I don't think was the intent of the term choking. You can fail without choking.

Ignoring the D which I never expected to play well, I think we lost the game for the following reasons.

1. The offense failed the defense. I know plenty of people don't want to accept this but I have watched our D bail a shitty offense out time and time again. This year and this game was suppose to be the O returning the favor. The D gave up long drives in the first half but the D got turnovers. This was a game that the O needed to sustain drives and keep that D rested. Instead, we went 3 and out on 3 of our first 4 possessions and that time of possession disadvantage (35 vs 25) came back to bite us in the ass because the D was worn down. Who is to blame for that? To me it's either the play calling or Cutler because I still think when Cutler is in the game we look down field too much instead of just taking the sure 4 or 5 yards as soon as it presents itself. This is especially true when the D just gave up an 80 yard drive but got a turnover. Your primary concern should not be big plays but eating up clock. This was not the game to only score 7 points in the first half and only have the ball for 25 minutes.

2. This offense seems to not be predicated on timing and accuracy but throwing the ball in the vicinity of the big WR and hoping they make the play. Today that came back to haunt us because too many balls were off just slightly and our WRs who typically made the play because of their wingspan came up just short this. Cutler still needs to work on his timing and accuracy because far to often at the end of his 3 or 5 step drop, he still has the ball in his hands whereas I feel like with McCown, it is out.

3. We suck at time management. After the big Cutler to Alshon play, Trestman blew a timeout for shits and giggles. Then at the end of the game, we had 33 seconds and a timeout at midfield and only managed to run 3 fucking plays. That's fucking embarrassing. You shouldn't be running 10-11 second plays when you only have 33 seconds left. The ball should have been going over the middle of the field on 6 or 7 second plays until such time that we blew our last timeout. Then you can worry about wasting a bunch of time throwing Hail Mary passes although if we had done what I suggested we would probably have been at the 30 instead of the 50 and that would have made for an easier pass to the end zone.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
I agree with a lot of that, and it's partly the reason why I said yesterday that this offense is "greatly improved but not great"

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Drops on drops and a big fumble by Alshon.

I understand why people don't bring this up, because these two are whats good about our team, but they failed to be exceptional in our biggest game of the year. And for all the talk of Cutler somehow failing to make big plays when it mattered, these two failed to do that as well.

Yeah, and the D failed PERIOD all year and in this huge game. The D failed WAY more than these ever did. Ridiculous to even bring it up. Last I checked, these two were primarily responsible for half our points.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah, and the D failed PERIOD all year and in this huge game. The D failed WAY more than these ever did. Ridiculous to even bring it up. Last I checked, these two were primarily responsible for half our points.

Let me ask a question. Over the past 9 years when the O failed PERIOD all year and in huge games, was the D still blamed if it did not play lights out. I think it was. I already heard about how the D failed in big games or how people hated Cover Who despite the fact the O was clearly the main problem all those years. So why exactly should it be any different now?

The D sucks. We all know this just like we know in previous years the O sucked. However, the O this year need to make up for it just like the D needed to make up for shitty O all those years.

Impress3

22vision
Liked Posts:
Drops on drops and a big fumble by Alshon.

I understand why people don't bring this up, because these two are whats good about our team, but they failed to be exceptional in our biggest game of the year. And for all the talk of Cutler somehow failing to make big plays when it mattered, these two failed to do that as well.

I thought about it last night...they hurt us bad

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't call it a choke. Every wr is going to have drops. The problem is when they happened

On the flipside, Rodgers was very inaccurate. Many balls sailed and some where short. If the d does their job, Rodgers ends
up with 3 picks and a fumble
for a td

By comparison though , GB caught everything. Including multiple shoestring grabs by Nelson and the great catch of the conte missed pick deflection by Quarless. That play resulted in 5 yard td the next play

There were many shoulda coulda moments in that game.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Let me ask a question. Over the past 9 years when the O failed PERIOD all year and in huge games, was the D still blamed if it did not play lights out. I think it was. I already heard about how the D failed in big games or how people hated Cover Who despite the fact the O was clearly the main problem all those years. So why exactly should it be any different now?

The D sucks. We all know this just like we know in previous years the O sucked. However, the O this year need to make up for it just like the D needed to make up for shitty O all those years.

If you're blaming one side of the ball for not playing perfect and winning the game, you're an idiot. Plain and simple. One phase of the game playing well isn't gonna get a team very far. I'm shocked we even had a chance for the division with this shitty D and ST.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you're blaming one side of the ball for not playing perfect and winning the game, you're an idiot. Plain and simple. One phase of the game playing well isn't gonna get a team very far. I'm shocked we even had a chance for the division with this shitty D and ST.

7 first half points is playing well? I don't think it is. All phases played poorly at times so all phases can be criticized. People may focus on the offense more because the expectations are higher just like it was for the defense in previous years.

Like if an idiot and genius took part in a spelling bee, who do you think I would be more disappointed in for failing. The idiot or the genius?