Did Nagy Lie?

mecha

Liked Posts:
He has no sense of urgency. If the offense gets a questionable call, like the generous ARob spot, hurry the fuck up and hike the ball.

I was yelling at the TV. didn't they like wind up calling a timeout or there was just an oversight from the enemy team that just let it go? I've been saying there's a lack of urgency for awhile... so, good word.

MarkBear

?⬇️
Liked Posts:
I remember reading that Nagy gave up play calling to Bill Lazor.

I rewatched the Bears/Jax game this afternoon.

During the first drive of the 2nd half, the Bears were at the Jax 36, 4th and 5.....The camera swings and shows Nagy studying the play sheet with his head down. I couldn't tell if he was speaking into his mic because of the face covering. But it sure looked like Nagy was calling the play

Is Lazor calling plays, or Nagy?
That jet sweep with Kmet was Nagy-ish

MarkBear

?⬇️
Liked Posts:
There was that dumb goal line play where instead of running they tried to pitch it to Kmet for a loss.

That was a Nagy Special.

I suspect he can override a play if he wants. I bet Lazor loves that.
Yeah he has hinted that he still call plays. Not all, but some

Toast88

Liked Posts:

During the first drive of the 2nd half, the Bears were at the Jax 36, 4th and 5.....The camera swings and shows Nagy studying the play sheet with his head down. I couldn't tell if he was speaking into his mic because of the face covering. But it sure looked like Nagy was calling the play

I had the exact same thought just based purely on the plays. I didn't even see the scene you're talking about, but I just noticed the plays called in the first half were pretty bad and thought, "Damn, this isn't at all like the offensive rhythm of the last few games."

I have no idea whether he's back to calling plays or not, or slowly easing in to calling more plays than he has been, or whatever the case may be. But ESPN 1000 mentioned the same thing on Monday, that Nagy may be slowly and slyly back to calling some plays...

Toast88

Liked Posts:
People hate on the Kmet play quite a bit. Understandable so, but if you watch Kansas City they do all kinds of crazy plays at the goal line designed for Kelce. Obviously Kmet isn’t On Kelce’s level but I understand the thought in the play design considering Nagy comes from Reid’s tree. If nothing else it will give the Packers something to game plan for if we send Kmet in motion on the goal line I guess.

In fact, the Chiefs had their own too-cute play that resulted in a turnover on Sunday.

You're kind of damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't at the goal line. You can't just run it up the gut or QB sneak it every single play on the goal line. Everyone's crashing downward. You **have** to change it up and stay varied.

Any time you run it and get stuffed, you're "predictable". Any time you change it up to try to trick the defense, you're "too cute". Playcalling is a results-based business, which is fine.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
In fact, the Chiefs had their own too-cute play that resulted in a turnover on Sunday.

You're kind of damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't at the goal line. You can't just run it up the gut or QB sneak it every single play on the goal line. Everyone's crashing downward. You **have** to change it up and stay varied.

Any time you run it and get stuffed, you're "predictable". Any time you change it up to try to trick the defense, you're "too cute". Playcalling is a results-based business, which is fine.

Disagree. You can be varied enough to be unpredictable without being "too cute".

The first requirement for a play that is "too cute" is to have "unpredictable" personnel packages (ie "they EXPECT me to put in Graham and Kmet in receiving roles so I will fuck them up by having Graham block and Kmet be RB!")

L-o-fucking-L

resulting in players being asked to perform to their *weaknesses* rather than their strengths.

The second requirement of being "too cute" is using unnecessary motion in a part of the field that has shrunk allowing the defense to sharply focus on their lanes and gap responsibilities regardless of foolish pre-snap "jazz".

In 2018, Nagy took advantage of NFL defenses largely being unaccustomed to pre-snap motions in the redzone where traditionally teams approached it with "hat-on-hat" philosophy of winning in the trenches.

That temporary lack of discipline did not last long. NFL defense stopped falling on their heels to the razzle-dazzle in the redzone and started just attacking. And it has worked. Nagy has not "tricked" any NFL defense into a redzone TD in years.

Nagy's early successes at redzone tricks is one of the lingering banes of his coaching existence.

But that is all tied into his other defining limitation: "Be You" - fucking worst football mantra ever for a head coach. If he can "un-Disney-fy" his brain, he may have a chance. I hold little to no hopes as I go into Sunday rooting anyway despite my own judgments of him as a leader.

#FireEveryoneGeorge

Liked Posts:

I saw the same thing. The camera also went to Lazor. He was not looking at his play sheet nor did he look like he was invested in anything really. He looked liked a bored fan sitting there.

When I saw both things, my first thought was that Nagy took play-calling back.

Does anyone remember is those camera shots were before the TE jet sweep at the goal line?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

2:19 mark. Looks like Ifedi doesn't block anybody

msadows

Liked Posts:
lol. No way nagy called the plays. We made in game adjustments. That doesn't happen with nagy calling plays.