Did the Bears Sandbag Mitchell Trubisky?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with everything that you said, but the part above seems a little odd.

If Trubisky has so little experience and is not be played more in the preseason, when is he going to get that experience? Certainly not as the 3rd string QB in the regular season when the starting QB will be getting all the reps.

By the way, who doesn't like a little lambasting every once in a while?

__a-costagardenodysseybasting1.jpg

If I had to take an educated guess they are moving him a long at an introductory pace. They don't believe he will be ready as a day 1 starter so they are introducing him to the NFL game and not throwing him to the wolves. At the same time, they still need to get Glennon time with the 1s for being a day one starter.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
I agree. The defense's only weakness is the secondary. The offense's weakness are WRs, and
LT. The Bears should have a real good defense and running game. Now a QB that makes plays can make the Bears .500 or better.
LT ??? Lol wrong id say grasu is our weakness before Leno and i'd say TE is too until somsone steps up, WR is obv and QB not because lack of talent but because glennon needs to shake off the rust and or trubisky needs to climb from the bottom of the depth chart.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Yeah let's just light the locker room on fire so our rookie quarterback with 13 games of experience can get in there right away. It is easy to say how bad Fox is now that he has fixed the locker room, received buy in and got the team into disciplined shape. Part of that is not allowing rookies to jump 2 places in line when they are not ready. In game 2 of the pre-season.

Part of that is playing the best player.
Letting the rookie QB win a competition to start really screwed up the 85 Bears chances didn't it?

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace isn't stupid. He knows that he can't rest on his laurels and expect Trubisky to change the direction of the franchise all by himself. He needs at least one more exceptional draft (2 would be more ideal) where he can add one more franchise player to the team. Let Glennon suck it up and then you allow Trubisky come in later in the season when there is no pressure for the kid to do anything other than play football. Bears are aiming for another top 5 pick in the draft next year.

It does give you a scapegoat in Glennon with Pace's only fault seeming to be loyalty to a fault with his decisions and willingness to give every opportunity to FA's for them to succeed. The latter being quite attractive to other FA's later down the road. All the while they get better picks in the draft and cement a top 5 defense by 2018. This makes them a contender for a SB run by 2019 if Trubs pans out to be decent.

Likelihood? lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
People would like to make this about Glennon vs Trubisky...

This should have nothing to do with a battle between the quarterbacks. This is all about Trubisky and what is best for his development. If the Bears experts believe that he should be brought along slowly and put into a learning mode then that is what they should do. Get Glennon 1st team reps and move Trubisky at the pace they believe he should move at.

If the Bears feel that Trubisky is best served to get him with the 1s; then they should do it immediately and don't look back.

But in no way, shape or form should they potentially damage Trubiskys future simply because he has performed better than Glennon.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I'm a fan of a rookie QB sitting. But the people who bring up, "If the knock on Trubisky is he only had 13 starts, how is sitting him changing that" make a very good point.
And there's my point, if you're going to end up starting him sooner (before the bye) rather than later (last week of the regular season) he should be splitting the reps with the 1s and 2s or else you're giving him one week of practice, 2 weeks at best if you wait for the bye.

I doubt if you ruin him by playing to early short of getting him injured. You can always pull him and go to a backup if you see him regressing. Then let him digest what he experienced on the field in the NFL.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm a fan of a rookie QB sitting. But the people who bring up, "If the knock on Trubisky is he only had 13 starts, how is sitting him changing that" make a very good point.
And there's my point, if you're going to end up starting him sooner (before the bye) rather than later (last week of the regular season) he should be splitting the reps with the 1s and 2s or else you're giving him one week of practice, 2 weeks at best if you wait for the bye.

I doubt if you ruin him by playing to early short of getting him injured. You can always pull him and go to a backup if you see him regressing. Then let him digest what he experienced on the field in the NFL.

I think the bolded is what the Bears are trying to avoid.

I think they want Trubisky to be always moving forward. I don't think they want to give Trubisky the keys to the castle and then take them away. The list of successful quarterbacks who were given the starter job and then lost it due to regression is extremely small.

Newblood

Liked Posts:

Even if he isn't playing, he is still getting reps, learning and advancing. Yes, there is no substitution for actual playing time, but if a QB is really inexperienced, there is a lot that can be learned before hitting the field in a real game. But, like many, I believe Trubisky will either be thrust into playing because of injury or because he has proven to the coaches that he deserves it, sooner rather than later. Or the other option is that the players ahead of him play themselves out of the job, which is looking to be very likely...

If you think getting inserted into the starting role, then getting pulled because of poor play, then picking up the next day and continuing like nothing happened, is a thing, then you are cray cray. Not saying it will break him, but it's not as simple as you make it sound either.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Even if he isn't playing, he is still getting reps, learning and advancing. Yes, there is no substitution for actual playing time, but if a QB is really inexperienced, there is a lot that can be learned before hitting the field in a real game. But, like many, I believe Trubisky will either be thrust into playing because of injury or because he has proven to the coaches that he deserves it, sooner rather than later. Or the other option is that the players ahead of him play themselves out of the job, which is looking to be very likely...

If you think getting inserted into the starting role, then getting pulled because of poor play, then picking up the next day and continuing like nothing happened, is a thing, then you are cray cray. Not saying it will break him, but it's not as simple as you make it sound either.

Then he was doing that practice during college when he wasn't a starter too so only 13 game starts has nothing to do with it.

I think he'll be thrust in because Glennon sucks and won't have the needed practice to get thrown in. They screwed up signing Glennon. Even if they'd kept Cutler I'd be OK with sitting Trubisky, but you can't go into the season with Glennon starting while you have a #2 pick riding the bench. What's that say about your #2 pick? What's that say to the team?
It tells me the best players don't play and they have no faith in the QB they picked #2.
If that's what they think their #2 pick is, at best he's going to be an Orton and they screwed up picking him at #2. Especially when you have other QBs from the draft being groomed to start. Ours is being groomed to be Hanie like he was a 5th rounder.

It's odd how McMahon was on and off the field and backups would be put into games to do more than hand the ball off. I don't think it's all you make it out to be (like I constantly heard about why we had to keep going with Rex, sure he's shitting the bed but we started the season with him so we have to end the season with him, Orton on the other hand, yeah yank him that's OK. Situational ethics going on here).

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:

Whether he starts this year or next, you are going to have rookie pains that make you want to go back at some point. All sitting him this year does is push that back a year. If he starts this year and can get all of that rookie stuff out of the way, next year we can compete for a playoff spot after another solid draft and Free agency.

Reactions: Myk

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Whether he starts this year or next, you are going to have rookie pains that make you want to go back at some point. All sitting him this year does is push that back a year. If he starts this year and can get all of that rookie stuff out of the way, next year we can compete for a playoff spot after another solid draft and Free agency.

That seems to be how it works unless you can sit them for years and get some meaningful game time, including starts in those years. But if you're planning on going from nobody to anointed one, that first year isn't going to be pretty.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LT ??? Lol wrong id say grasu is our weakness before Leno and i'd say TE is too until somsone steps up, WR is obv and QB not because lack of talent but because glennon needs to shake off the rust and or trubisky needs to climb from the bottom of the depth chart.

LT is a weakness. Leno is a big liability.

BearbaFett

Liked Posts:

trubisky's situation might mirror jared goff's if he gets thrown in this year.

- fisher rolls with the vet in keenum
- keenum sucks
- goff takes over and goes through his rookie pains
- antiquated offense
- no WRs to throw to
- conservative coach

fisher gets canned and in comes a young savvy coach in sean mcvay whose system plays to goff's strengths, and he's balling out so far this preseason.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
trubisky's situation might mirror jared goff's if he gets thrown in this year.

- fisher rolls with the vet in keenum
- keenum sucks
- goff takes over and goes through his rookie pains
- antiquated offense
- no WRs to throw to
- conservative coach

fisher gets canned and in comes a young savvy coach in sean mcvay whose system plays to goff's strengths, and he's balling out so far this preseason.

I'm hoping since they could listen and adjust for Trubisky's first preseason game they would be willing to do that when he starts.
I wouldn't expect him to be lights out his first year but as long as the oline isn't getting him killed I don't see how it would hurt.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm hoping since they could listen and adjust for Trubisky's first preseason game they would be willing to do that when he starts.
I wouldn't expect him to be lights out his first year but as long as the oline isn't getting him killed I don't see how it would hurt.

Trubisky moving, and rolling and running ability is going to make our offensive line look real good.

Glennon's statue style is going to make our offensive line look real bad.

If the offensive line is going to somehow kill Trubisky in year one, it is just as likely as it will kill him in year 2. There is no way of knowing right now if our offensive line this year is going to be worse than our offensive line next year. Quite frankly, our current coaching staff had the offensive line juggling thru injuries last year, playing at times without Sitton and Long, supposedly our best, and performed very well.

Reactions: Myk

BearbaFett

Liked Posts:
Trubisky moving, and rolling and running ability is going to make our offensive line look real good.

Glennon's statue style is going to make our offensive line look real bad.

If the offensive line is going to somehow kill Trubisky in year one, it is just as likely as it will kill him in year 2. There is no way of knowing right now if our offensive line this year is going to be worse than our offensive line next year. Quite frankly, our current coaching staff had the offensive line juggling thru injuries last year, playing at times without Sitton and Long, supposedly our best, and performed very well.

losing kush hurts, but if sitton and long play a good portion of the season and at a high level, we'll be in good shape. our o-line and running game is above average, which is huge when fairly assessing our qb situation.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
Then he was doing that practice during college when he wasn't a starter too so only 13 game starts has nothing to do with it.

I think he'll be thrust in because Glennon sucks and won't have the needed practice to get thrown in. They screwed up signing Glennon. Even if they'd kept Cutler I'd be OK with sitting Trubisky, but you can't go into the season with Glennon starting while you have a #2 pick riding the bench. What's that say about your #2 pick? What's that say to the team?
It tells me the best players don't play and they have no faith in the QB they picked #2.
If that's what they think their #2 pick is, at best he's going to be an Orton and they screwed up picking him at #2. Especially when you have other QBs from the draft being groomed to start. Ours is being groomed to be Hanie like he was a 5th rounder.

It's odd how McMahon was on and off the field and backups would be put into games to do more than hand the ball off. I don't think it's all you make it out to be (like I constantly heard about why we had to keep going with Rex, sure he's shitting the bed but we started the season with him so we have to end the season with him, Orton on the other hand, yeah yank him that's OK. Situational ethics going on here).

A. You are assuming that your interpretation of when the QB is ready aligns with when coaches think he is ready (for better or worse).

B. Likely the very reason that Sanchez is 2nd in depth chart is so Trubisky isn't thrown into play without being properly prepared. Pretty sure plenty of people on here have discussed this very thing plenty of times.

C. Having your #2 pick sitting on the bench doesn't say anything, outside of what was being said from the very beginning. From day 1 the narrative was that Trubisky is to be brought along at a pace that made sense and not rushed and that he needed experience first. Just because fans have an expectation of his time frame, doesn't mean the coaches agree (right or wrong).

Hell, I'd like to see Trubisky starting week 1, just like a lot of people. But just because I'd like to see it happen, doesn't mean it should. He should start when he is ready.

Most people have the Bears being lucky to be a .500 team. If true, what's the point of rushing Trubisky into the starting role? It will be frustrating to watch Glennon shit the bed for a few weeks, but I'll view it as it is, a bridge to the future.
But if they feel he is ready week 1, then you bet your ass I will be excited to see them bring in the future and see what the kid can do.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
A. I'm assuming my interpretation of the QB is correct and the coaches are wrong.

B. That is OK, once the season starts, in certain situations. But if Trubisky sucks so much he can't play in a regular season game it doesn't matter. If Sanchez is #3 and goes in because Glennon strains his neck in the first quarter it doesn't matter that we're stuck with Sanchez for the rest of the game because you've already deemed that Trubisky sucks too much to play.
If Trubisky was #2 in the regular season you could put him in at the end of the first half because you want to see how he does. He could step in if Glennon has a one play tweek.
If Trubisky is #3 you can only put him in and pull him out at will in the 4th quarter.
So the way our QBs are it comes down to who do you want to be able to put in for the rest of the game vs who do you want to try in different parts of the game.
And most of all, who do you want to practice with the team vs who do you want practicing with the practice squad.

C. That says we overdrafted him. He's a long shot project not who you pick at #2.
I believe in bringing a QB along slow but there's slow for a 4th rounder and there's slow for a top pick. Trubisky is getting the 4th rounder treatment. I didn't see it in his play but if the coaches are seeing it in his practices that worries me.
Sure Rodgers was a later 1st pick who became great sitting but he had Farve to work behind. Trubisky has Glennon and Sanchez.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
A. I'm assuming my interpretation of the QB is correct and the coaches are wrong.

B. That is OK, once the season starts, in certain situations. But if Trubisky sucks so much he can't play in a regular season game it doesn't matter. If Sanchez is #3 and goes in because Glennon strains his neck in the first quarter it doesn't matter that we're stuck with Sanchez for the rest of the game because you've already deemed that Trubisky sucks too much to play.
If Trubisky was #2 in the regular season you could put him in at the end of the first half because you want to see how he does. He could step in if Glennon has a one play tweek.
If Trubisky is #3 you can only put him in and pull him out at will in the 4th quarter.
So the way our QBs are it comes down to who do you want to be able to put in for the rest of the game vs who do you want to try in different parts of the game.
And most of all, who do you want to practice with the team vs who do you want practicing with the practice squad.

C. That says we overdrafted him. He's a long shot project not who you pick at #2.
I believe in bringing a QB along slow but there's slow for a 4th rounder and there's slow for a top pick. Trubisky is getting the 4th rounder treatment. I didn't see it in his play but if the coaches are seeing it in his practices that worries me.
Sure Rodgers was a later 1st pick who became great sitting but he had Farve to work behind. Trubisky has Glennon and Sanchez.

Not sure what I just read... But it sure sounds like, I don't care if Trubisky is #2 or #3, but God damnit, I want him to be #2, at least.

Trubisky was ALWAYS considered someone who needed time and experience. That is likely the main reason the Bears were able to get him how they did. If he was considered NFL ready, he would have likely went #1 overall. Yet however, after watching him for a few quarters in preseason, you've declared that he either start week 1 or he was over-drafted and Orton-like. Sweeeet.....

I give zero fucks who Trubisky is behind, it could be Favre or it can be Glennon, he should play when he is ready to play. If it's week 1, great. If it's week 15, great.

I don't get why people get so hung up on Trubisky's position on the depth chart, as far as #2 or #3. The coaches have shown in the preseason games already, they had a higher premium on Trubisky getting playing time than Sanchez. At this point, Sanchez is only #2 as a buffer for Trubisky not to be thrown into a game cold and unprepared. Likely, if Glennon went down, Sanchez would play the remainder of the game, MAYBE the next one and Trubisky would take over from there.

Some fans act like little kids during the weeks leading up to Xmas. Seeing there gift under the tree and asking every day, can I open my gifts now? How about now? How about now? Then pouting when they are told no.

Jesus Christ, it's 2 weeks into preseason, how about calming your tits and see how it plays out first.
Or not. I guess if you want to declare Trubisky Orton-like if he isn't the starter week one, go ahead, can't say I'd be surprised if some Bears fans went that direction...

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Not sure what I just read... But it sure sounds like, I don't care if Trubisky is #2 or #3, but God damnit, I want him to be #2, at least.

Trubisky was ALWAYS considered someone who needed time and experience. That is likely the main reason the Bears were able to get him how they did. If he was considered NFL ready, he would have likely went #1 overall. Yet however, after watching him for a few quarters in preseason, you've declared that he either start week 1 or he was over-drafted and Orton-like. Sweeeet.....

I give zero fucks who Trubisky is behind, it could be Favre or it can be Glennon, he should play when he is ready to play. If it's week 1, great. If it's week 15, great.

I don't get why people get so hung up on Trubisky's position on the depth chart, as far as #2 or #3. The coaches have shown in the preseason games already, they had a higher premium on Trubisky getting playing time than Sanchez. At this point, Sanchez is only #2 as a buffer for Trubisky not to be thrown into a game cold and unprepared. Likely, if Glennon went down, Sanchez would play the remainder of the game, MAYBE the next one and Trubisky would take over from there.

Some fans act like little kids during the weeks leading up to Xmas. Seeing there gift under the tree and asking every day, can I open my gifts now? How about now? How about now? Then pouting when they are told no.

Jesus Christ, it's 2 weeks into preseason, how about calming your tits and see how it plays out first.
Or not. I guess if you want to declare Trubisky Orton-like if he isn't the starter week one, go ahead, can't say I'd be surprised if some Bears fans went that direction...

The Chicago Bears ask fans to spend their hard earned money on tickets, parking, food, merchandise, etc. The Chicago Bears continue to raise ticket prices. As a fan who goes to 6 games a year I want to see the best team out there. I pay for it like other fans. I don't pay to see bums like Mike Glennon and Mark Sanchez get their asses handed to them. If the Bears are gonna beg for our money, our millions of dollars, we deserve a good show. I, like other fans, don't mind if Trubs isn't ready and needs some time before he can play. But giving us Glennon and Sanchez is a kick in the sack, especially after the garbage we've put up with the past 4 seasons.