Do we address much on offense this off season?

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Slim pickings for the offensive side both in FA and (said) weak offensive draft. So how do we do this? Me . I see a few good Oline guys coming our way and a defensive make over. I think we go hard on offense next draft.

My question is. How would you address the offensive side this year? What would your plan be?
It's the year of the trenches!!!! One thing never changes over the years with football. You need a very good offensive line and defensive line to have long term success.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
this is the Chicago Bears - 70% of resources go to Def and the O and special teams gets what is left.
Like the time we traded away our star linebacker, and DLineman and picked up a WR

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Only change I'd make to this is give Braxton Jones next year as the starter to continue growth. It's more than reasonable to expect that will happen. He has terrific physical attributes for the position (can't teach that) and made a huge improvement in his craft from college to pros. Not yet where it needs to be but if the trajectory continues next year, LT is not an issue.

If I am being honest, unless they really are sold on them internally, I am worried that one offseason won't be enough for him to hold up to bull rushes. Jones makes for great depth. But he should NOT be handed a starting spot.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We need less in offensive help. Certainly a Center and Ot along with two very good receivers.

2MuchChino

Liked Posts:
If I am being honest, unless they really are sold on them internally, I am worried that one offseason won't be enough for him to hold up to bull rushes. Jones makes for great depth. But he should NOT be handed a starting spot.
We'll all see what, if any, progress he makes but he's already not that far (stat line wise) from a LT that just started the Super Bowl for Philly. They need an OT anyway and if I'm being honest, once they acquire and settle on their OL room....let the best 5 play. But what I wouldn't do is go looking specifically for a LT (especially not a high priced one in FA).

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
We'll all see what, if any, progress he makes but he's already not that far (stat line wise) from a LT that just started the Super Bowl for Philly. They need an OT anyway and if I'm being honest, once they acquire and settle on their OL room....let the best 5 play. But what I wouldn't do is go looking specifically for a LT (especially not a high priced one in FA).

The problem with looking at stats is that they don't tell the whole story. The Philly LT got what I would say is about the average amount of help you give your LT in the NFL, based on the defensive alignment.

Once it was clear Braxton Jones had strength issues, the Bears gave him a LOT OF HELP on that side. You could really see it when Larry Borom was in at RT, because basically they moved to really try to protect Justin's blind side and basically told Justin he is going to have to worry about keeping an eye on the RT on his own (and Larry got LIT up on an island). That player distribution really didn't change much until they bit the bullet and put Reiff out there at RT, who actually did a decent job.

That's why you can't just go off of stats.

Last edited:

czman

Liked Posts:
The problem with looking at stats is that they don't tell the whole story. The Philly LT got what I would say is about the average amount of help you give your LT in the NFL, based on the defensive alignment.

Once it was clear Braxton Jones had strength issues, the Bears gave him a LOT OF HELP on that side. You could really see it when Lance Louis was in at RT, because basically they moved to really try to protect Justin's blind side and basically told Justin he is going to have to worry about keeping an eye on the RT on his own (and lance got LIT up on an island). That player distribution really didn't change much until they bit the bullet and put Reiff out there at RT, who actually did a decent job.

That's why you can't just go off of stats.
Lance Louis retired in 2015, I had to Google that. He did not play for the Bears in 2022, you putz

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
Slim pickings for the offensive side both in FA and (said) weak offensive draft. So how do we do this? Me . I see a few good Oline guys coming our way and a defensive make over. I think we go hard on offense next draft.

My question is. How would you address the offensive side this year? What would your plan be?

I would use the draft to bring in young athletic offensive linemen and wide receivers. I make no big splash signings in free agency, but I do use it to supplement various needs on a team that needs to improve at every position on defense. The core of my team would come through the draft.

My two cents.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The talking heads are calling it a defensive draft. Got a problem then take it up with them.

In general however I am seeing more talented athletes choosing skill positions and coming into NFL more polished in skills and game theory.

Last year was a bit thick with COVID delays.

I think now you have to look for COVID stunts. Guys that didn’t develop as expected due to environment issues and inconsistency due to COVID.

Be more willing to look for a couple hidden gems.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Let me make it clear then - I think the Bears should draft Paris Johnson Jr or Broderick Jones in round 1, unless they think they can convert Dawand Jones and nab him with a later first or mid second round pick, since I think Dawand is going to shoot up draft boards.
As fun as Dawand might be, just from being a viewer, I think there are thoughts of him not being a fit. I'm big on those other two, as well as Anton Harrison.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Lance Louis retired in 2015, I had to Google that. He did not play for the Bears in 2022, you putz

Yeah yeah, Larry Borom. I got the names mixed up. Point still stands asshole.