Do you guys want Odell?

Bort

Liked Posts:
As stated by Remy, the browns would rather have him NOT clear waivers because then they are on the hook for the rest of that 8m.

Likely, if he gets claimed, the team who claims him pays about 4m. The bears can figure 4m out.
OBJ has a $15.75 million salary with 9 weeks left in the season, so I’m pretty sure they’d need about $8.3 million in space, meaning they’d have to clear out about $5 million more, and Hicks is the only cut that would free up that much money.

There isn’t even a combo of other cuts that makes any sense that could free up $5 million.

I don’t think people appreciate how bad the Bears’ cap situation is right now. Pace converted the most of the 2021 salary on most veteran contracts with a significant 2021 salary into signing bonus just to get under the cap. He did it with Dalton, Whitehair, Mack, Jackson, Graham, Ifedi, Gipson, James, and WIlliams.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really? What have you heard from him in last two years that would imply that? Not what media has said but actually Odell?

That's a very good question, and honestly I don't know the answer. I do ask myself this question though: Why did the Browns record improve when he was injured?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
OBJ has a $15.75 million salary with 9 weeks left in the season, so I’m pretty sure they’d need about $8.3 million in space, meaning they’d have to clear out about $5 million more, and Hicks is the only cut that would free up that much money.

There isn’t even a combo of other cuts that makes any sense that could free up $5 million.

I don’t think people appreciate how bad the Bears’ cap situation is right now. Pace converted the most of the 2021 salary on most veteran contracts with a significant 2021 salary into signing bonus just to get under the cap. He did it with Dalton, Whitehair, Mack, Jackson, Graham, Ifedi, Gipson, James, and WIlliams.
Ponzi scheme Pace

Bort

Liked Posts:

Now there’s reporting that the Browns converted all but $1 million of OBJ’s 2021 salary into signing bonus to make it easier for teams to claim him.

If this is true, then I was wrong and the Bears could claim him.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yes, Yes, Yes, cut Graham and pick him up on waivers. It does two things, it puts pressure on Arob and makes him expendable, two it gives our rookie QB a guy thats known for getting separation. You put him, Arob and Mooney with Kmet at TE and you have a major match up problem for a D. If it doesn't work out, cut or trade his ass at the end of the year. In our situation, you can't let him get by us at 10 on the waiver wire. I personally don't think he will drop to the Bears.
That won’t work. Cutting Graham doesn’t free up any cap space because Pace already converted almost his entire 2021 salary into signing bonus.

Cutting Akiem Hicks is the only way to free up enough cap space to put a waiver claim on OBJ. There’s literally no one else on the roster that frees up significant space by being cut.

Neither works. Salaries are guaranteed once the season starts so you would still owe the full salary if you cut Graham or Hicks. That is why Browns owe OBJ full salary if they cut him.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Now there’s reporting that the Browns converted all but $1 million of OBJ’s 2021 salary into signing bonus to make it easier for teams to claim him.

If this is true, then I was wrong and the Bears could claim him.

Converting to SB is so they can spread it since it is after June 1, they can take half the hit now and half next year.

They have no incentive to convert to SB to make it easier for someone to claim because his 22 and 23 years are not guaranteed. So if if they converted 1m of 8m into SB when he is claimed they would only save 1m as you dont transfer SB money.

The only value to them in someone claiming him was if they did not convert any salary into SB in which case the other team would take on the full 8m. Or if they converted say half of it. But convering 7m of 8m doesnt help them from a waiver claim perspective.

TonyDogs

Liked Posts:
I love Odell's talent, but he's been a pain in the ass everywhere he's went and he's always hurt.

Collins77

Liked Posts:
That's a very good question, and honestly I don't know the answer. I do ask myself this question though: Why did the Browns record improve when he was injured?

Attachments

• 20211105_152059.jpg
    20211105_152059.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 0

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Lots of 62's there

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
OBJ will be released Monday. Can be claimed Tues after 4pm.

Remaining salary is 7.25m and they voided last 2 years of his deal so he would be a FA.

That makes it less likely he gets claimed.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Holy cow, no wonder Odell papa salty. Look at the routes vs bears, heh

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m in the Yes camp.

Add some spice to this boring ass season.

Be awesome to see him flipping out after trotting out there all game for the Nagy special. plus who knows maybe he develops something with Fields. I’m not paying more than 24M / 3 years though.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I'd take O'Dell, hands down fir the right price. But I doubt he would ever come here voluntarily without us overpaying.

Personally I think he gets much more open than he is credited for. Baker likes the short to intermediate stuff. He doesn't nearly get the ball to O'Dell enough. In fact, I tend to side with O'Dell and to me he has been much more patient than expected considering Baker is ruining his career.

I actually wish ARob was more aggressive with wanting more throws from Justin. Instead Aron has been far too passive aggressive.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I actually think Odell’s play style fits with Fields more so than ARob. Like I said in a previous post, Odell always seems to be open, especially on mid-to deep routes.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Seems like he could be a cut candidate, if not now then at the end of the year. More than likely this year tho.

Question is, do you want the headcase? He will probably clear waivers, if cut. Doubt anyone is willing to take that risk on a guy who's barely produced this year.....but then there is also this:

Yes. I want him and his head 7 days a week and twice on Tuesday. I’m all in on OBJ.

ImSure

Liked Posts:
Meme Maker - Guy kept calling me a spoiled brat The correct term is diva  Meme Generator!