Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Passer rating, yards per attempt, DVOA, by almost every metric he's been a top 10 QB the last 2 years. His air yards are similar to Patrick Mahomes
This past year, he went down the field more and was near mahomes, but in the prior two years he wasn't even close. He was under 7 air yards per attempt in 19 and 18. YPA had more to do with the YAC of his receivers. His passer rating is inflated because of his high completion percentage that is a result of his short air yards. Looking at his other statistics, specifically in 19, he was not top 10 in almost every metric.

You also have to take into account the amount of time he's had to throw with the raiders, and lower that on the bears. Carr is decent, and it was nice to see him start going downfield again this season, but top 10? Meh, maybe on the fringe along the lines of Goff, Cousins, etc.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
This past year, he went down the field more and was near mahomes, but in the prior two years he wasn't even close. He was under 7 air yards per attempt in 19 and 18. YPA had more to do with the YAC of his receivers. His passer rating is inflated because of his high completion percentage that is a result of his short air yards. Looking at his other statistics, specifically in 19, he was not top 10 in almost every metric.

You also have to take into account the amount of time he's had to throw with the raiders, and lower that on the bears. Carr is decent, and it was nice to see him start going downfield again this season, but top 10? Meh, maybe on the fringe along the lines of Goff, Cousins, etc.

I mostly agree with you, as I said in my first post in this thread. He has been top 10 the last 2 years (9th or 10th per DVOA the last 2 years). But I don't think he's a top 10 QB. He's around that mark, but I think he's more good than great. I'd be interested to see him with a really good defense, and I think he can have a couple more years near the top 10 (depending on how young QBs develop), but I don't know that he's a QB that can put a team on his back and lead them to a championship.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Carr has a history of failing in the clutch and losing the big games. The obsession with Carr here is incomprehensible

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Jaylon Johnson is a premium player at a premium position who is dirt cheap for the next three seasons. He'd certainly go in the first round and maybe even the top ten if you were holding a 2020 re-draft. The Bears do not trade a player like that in order to save a first round because Jaylon Johnson is precisely the type of player you hope you get with your first round pick. Injury warts and all, the guy can clearly play and he plays what is probably the fifth most important position in the entire sport.

coolio

Liked Posts:
people who think Carr will take this team anywhere serious are buying into the bs that pace and Nagy sold ownership. That this team is just a solid QB away from a championship which is false

Montucky

Liked Posts:
people who think Carr will take this team anywhere serious are buying into the bs that pace and Nagy sold ownership. That this team is just a solid QB away from a championship which is false
I think he's solid but I wouldn't give up anywhere near what people are posing to get him. If you're gonna sell the farm it might as well be for Russell Wilson or Deshaun Watson, not Carson Wentz or Derek Carr.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Probably. I don't think Carr is the best option, but I feel like he'd make this team better. He probably needs a change of scenery.

coolio

Liked Posts:
I think he's solid but I wouldn't give up anywhere near what people are posing to get him. If you're gonna sell the farm it might as well be for Russell Wilson or Deshaun Watson, not Carson Wentz or Derek Carr.
He is a solid QB. But the price is too much.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
He is a solid QB. But the price is too much.
The price for all of them is too much. None of these trade targets represents a meaningful upgrade that also leaves the franchise enough room to make necessary improvements elsewhere on the roster. None of it will work, a guy like Derek Carr or Carson Wentz is realistically worth something like a third, maybe, second round pick. Anything more and its one step forward, two steps back.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The price for all of them is too much. None of these trade targets represents a meaningful upgrade that also leaves the franchise enough room to make necessary improvements elsewhere on the roster. None of it will work, a guy like Derek Carr or Carson Wentz is realistically worth something like a third, maybe, second round pick. Anything more and its one step forward, two steps back.

Foles was really bad in 2020. Trubisky was bad against good defenses. Even if you're a truther, it was clear Nagy didn't want Trubisky to screw up and didn't let him run the offense. So, I think any QB is a meaningful upgrade over a guy who isn't allowed to throw the ball and a guy who can't throw the ball. Carr would likely be good. And 2 firsts wouldn't kill the team's chances of adding improvements in a deep OL draft. If Wentz gets back to at least average, whatever it takes to get him wouldnt kill the team's chances either.

I just don't know if you guys realize how bad the Bears QB position has been, what it would take to upgrade it, and what league average QB play would do for this team. You're going to use a draft pick on a QB anyway. If they don't get anyone in FA or trade, it's going to be a 1st round pick. And it may be 2 since you'll have to move up to find anyone acceptable. And the necessary improvements elsewhere on the roster simply don't matter if there is no QB improvement.