Does Darnell Mooney Suck?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
how is there a 17 drop discrepancy between every website i looked at and @Calabis drop rate stat? i mean it really varies that much? im guessing the solution would be to watch every mooney target on the year and see for myself. maybe ill do that if i get time later

For clarification, PFF calculates drops on on target throws not total targets. So Mooney had 5 drops on around 36 on target throws. So basically saying 24 passes to Mooney from Fields were not on target.

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Mooney was open often and even some completions were off target not allowing run after catch. I would be happy with Mooney returning as the 4th reciever

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
View attachment 35114
View attachment 35115

where did you get that stat? what does it even mean? the most balls dropped on the season i can find for him is 3. i guess i dont understand how 3 drops in 60 targets totals out to almost 20%

edit - to your first message, nothing ive seen from any reputable source says that is the case. he had 31 receptions on like 60 targets and 3 drops. either there is serious misinformation being posted as stats on legit websites or im missing something here
PFF lists the stats, and its drop percentage, contested catch percentage...he also had 4 ints targeting him...most on team. I guess u can name the 3 drops he had then, since he is sure handed

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mooney was open often and even some completions were off target not allowing run after catch. I would be happy with Mooney returning as the 4th reciever
He also rounded a out route, and several games he waited til ball got into his body...pathetic effort...anyone watching Moore catch a football and think Mooney is good, is comical

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
how is there a 17 drop discrepancy between every website i looked at and @Calabis drop rate stat? i mean it really varies that much? im guessing the solution would be to watch every mooney target on the year and see for myself. maybe ill do that if i get time later

So I guess this guy has it wrongs as well.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
PFF also has him ranked 107 out of 128 eligible WR 😆

DJ Moore was ranked 10th out of 128 by their metric.

Scott 115th

Guess, Mooney is Pro Bowl worthy

clenbuterol_clint

Formerly ClintK55
Liked Posts:

So I guess this guy has it wrongs as well
A person already posted a game list for every drop he had. No need to become schizophrenic over this if you can't answer the question, I'm just looking for valid information. I think the info you're getting is not good is what I'm saying bc I went back and watched those drops, but feel free to watch the film yourself and point them out :)

clenbuterol_clint

Formerly ClintK55
Liked Posts:
If you really did want to, the 5 drops he had were in these games:

Packers - Week 1
Chargers - Week 8
Lions - Week 14 (2 drops)
Browns - Week 15 (I assume... the drop)

EDIT: I hope the Browns drop isn't that one I'm thinking of. The definition of drop is: "DRP: Drops - on-target passes dropped by the receiver". I'd have a hard time saying that was an on-target pass.
Here you go @Calabis since you cannot be asked to bother reading the thread, instead just copy pasting a Clay Harbor (lmao) youtube video. I went and looked and found this to be accurate 😎

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mooney does not have great hands but he he doesn't have 'bad' hands either. if you get it to him on time he's got tons of twitch and run after catch. We saw none of that last year because Darnell wasn't his 1st look and JF didn't get there fast enough or see him long enough to be confident enough to throw it on time.

Last edited:

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Mooney had a 50.8% catch rate, which is the worst of his career and the worst of any receiver on the team... But hey when in doubt: Blame Justin

His previous seasons he had 62...57...65% catch rate. By comparison Kmet had a 81% catch rate and DJ Moore had a 70% catch rate...

But hey he was OPEN and Justin's "slow processor" was too dumb to throw it too him...

Last edited:

Canth

Liked Posts:
I was just curious, so here are the stats from Mooney, Samuel, and Davis. Looking at the stats, I agree with the notion to avoid Davis. I think I would much rather stick with the guy you know in Mooney at that point. But Curtis Samuel is certainly interesting and only 1 year older than Mooney despite having 3 more years experience.

Darnell Mooney:
1708826740820.png

Curtis Samuel:
1708826775490.png

Gabriel Davis:
1708826816634.png

clenbuterol_clint

Formerly ClintK55
Liked Posts:
Mooney had a 50.8% catch rate, which is the worst of his career and the worst of any receiver on the team... But hey when in doubt: Blame Justin

His previous seasons he had 62...57...65% catch rate. By comparison Kmet had a 81% catch rate and DJ Moore had a 70% catch rate...

But hey he was OPEN and Justin's "slow processor" was too dumb to throw it too him...

its weird tho bc he had a 50% catch rate and only dropped 4 passes the whole year D:

i wonder how that could be possible! if he dropped 4 passes, and he only caught 50%, what happened on those 26 other throws his way. i wonder i wonder. makes you think!

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
PFF has the top 20 QB's ranked, guess who is not on the list:

Don't like PFF grading system but Fields is still about potential after 3 years. Hard to not move on when you have the 1st pick and this QB class staring at you.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Yes, look at his drop percentage and his contested catch percentage.....sure it was the same Bagent contingent that screamed he sucked, dropping contested catch vs Chargers.

He doesn't attack ball
It's interesting you mentioned Bagent because Mooneys production increased a lot under the 4 games Bagent started.

Mooney was averaging 27.6ypg this year, while under the 4 Bagent starts that jumped up to 42.25ypg. which would average out to 717yards for the year of he maintained that average.

I don't think Mooney is anything more then just a guy, but it does really shine a light on how Fields couldn't get more out of him then the D2 rookie did..

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
It's interesting you mentioned Bagent because Mooneys production increased a lot under the 4 games Bagent started.

Mooney was averaging 27.6ypg this year, while under the 4 Bagent starts that jumped up to 42.25ypg. which would average out to 717yards for the year of he maintained that average.

I don't think Mooney is anything more then just a guy, but it does really shine a light on how Fields couldn't get more out of him then the D2 rookie did..
Fields does not pass enough to get more than one receiver a lot of yards.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Love the guy but he should have run through that ball, LOL.
If he signs there, his detractors (CW apologists) will go crickets about him next year.
If he goes to KC he will put up decent numbers and fields stans will blame getsy!