Does defense win championships?

JordanHoward24

Liked Posts:
We've heard it time and time again, but is that statement really true? Maybe this was accurate back in the days of the purple people eaters, steel curtain, and monsters of the midway. But long gone are the days of "defense wins championships." The days of "elite quarterbacks win championships" have arrived. Since 2000 here are the Superbowl matchups at quarterback (winners in caps):

2000- KURT WARNER vs. Steve McNair

2001- TRENT DILFER vs. Kerry Collins

2002- Kurt Warner vs. TOM BRADY

2003- Rich Gannon vs. BRAD JOHNSON

2004- Jake Delhomme vs. TOM BRADY

2005- TOM BRADY vs. Donovan McNabb

2006- Matt Hasselbeck vs. BEN ROETHLISBERGER

2007- PEYTON MANNING vs. Rex Grossman

2008- ELI MANNING vs. Tom Brady

2009- BEN ROETHLISBERGER vs. Kurt Warner

2010- DREW BREES vs. Peyton Manning

2011- Ben Roethlisberger vs. AARON RODGERS

2012- ELI MANNING vs. Tom Brady

2013- JOE FLACCO vs. Colin Kaepernick

2014- RUSSELL WILSON vs. Peyton Manning

2015- TOM BRADY vs. Russell Wilson

2016- Cam Newton vs. PEYTON MANNING

2017- TOM BRADY vs. Matt Ryan

You probably noticed that most of those quarterbacks are all time greats. These superbowl winning quarterbacks combine for 65 pro-bowls, 23 all-pro teams, and 11 MVP's. Where as the quarterbacks that didn't win (and never won again) only combine for 15 pro-bowls, 3 all-pro teams, and 2 MVP's. Some of those names like Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, and Ben Roethlisberger (Eli Manning?) will join Kurt Warner in the Hall of Fame.

Now, I will mention that most of the questionable names that won like Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Colin Kaepernick, Joe Flacco, and Peyton Manning (last year) were accompanied by some of the best defenses ever.

I've stated my opinion, but what do you think? Does defense win championships in this day and age?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Look at this year. Top D's with 3 teams & 1 goat QB. I see a bunch of franchise QB's watching TV this Sunday. Capt Obvious out... Oh, and a bunch of crappy QB's on that list playing in those SB's as well.

Last edited:

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
To this day I don't understand why people match quarterback against quarterback. Someone let me know when offense goes up against offense and defense goes up against defense. Until then its always going to be a matchup of offense versus defense and which team has the edge there.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It seems defense has more impact in a 3-4 game playoff, but QBs are what get you there over a 16 game season.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It seems defense has more impact in a 3-4 game playoff, but QBs are what get you there over a 16 game season.

I would agree with what you said except exchange QBs with offenses. The QB is but one of 11 men on the field.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I would agree with what you said except exchange QBs with offenses. The QB is but one of 11 men on the field.

I get what you're saying. It's a team sport. But I won't deny the importance of the QB position.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
It usually does, but I did not think anyone would score 40 on Jacksonville and not win.

iffybiz

Liked Posts:
If you don’t have a great QB, your defense pretty much needs to be all-world. Generally, all the defenses in “the big game” are pretty good and the difference is the QB making a few plays to win it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dawags

Liked Posts:
Generally, when the refs throw PI calls against cornerbacks out the window,it's a huge advantage in a championship game.

AussieBear

brady and ben both relied on they d during they early game managing years .

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Defense gets you to the playoffs. QBs win championships

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Makes me smile that Tom Brady's 2 SB losses are to the lesser Manning.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Visionman

Liked Posts:
A good offense will not win you a SB without also having a good defense. Even the greatest show on turf needed to build a defense to win...

JoeyBones21

Liked Posts:
Look at this year. Top D's with 3 teams & 1 goat QB. I see a bunch of franchise QB's watching TV this Sunday. Capt Obvious out... Oh, and a bunch of crappy QB's on that list playing in those SB's as well.

Yeah but do you actually think any of those teams will knock off Brady and the Pats?