Does defense win championships?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would argue that QBs like Payton and Brady skewed that stat recently. If that's what you need to win a SB, most every other team is doomed.

I do think this philosophy is going to be changing soon. Average qbs are simply making too much, which prevents teams from being able to build a good enough team around that QB. I believe smart GMs will start to build their team, and then add the QB to it eventually. Or in our case, decide if he's going to be worth the 2nd contract he will demand. In short, it won't be a QB driven league any longer...
Brady may have skewed it, but remove Brady, and top tier QBs are still winning it.

And I completely disagree with you on QBs will become secondary to a defense.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
The QB argument inevitably falls to the rule changes protecting QBs and WRs.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The QB argument inevitably falls to the rule changes protecting QBs and WRs.

I understand the logic behind this except when was the last team to win a SB that didn't have at the very least a competent defense throughout the playoffs? Despite all these rule changes teams playing great defense are still routinely in the SB.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I understand the logic behind this except when was the last team to win a SB that didn't have at the very least a competent defense throughout the playoffs? Despite all these rule changes teams playing great defense are still routinely in the SB.
the answer is you need both.

You need a top qb to get as many shots at a title as possible. You need a top defense to stop the other teams that also have that a QB.

There is no one right way to win one title, but if you want continued cracks at it, a top QB is a must.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Oh without a doubt. As mentioned before you need good quarterback play and a competent offense to even reach the post season but once you're there you're fucked if you don't have a competent defense.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
But can you win a super bowl without a good special teams?? Now that's the real question.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
But can you win a super bowl without a good special teams?? Now that's the real question.
Yes. But good luck winning if you have a bad one. Mediocre, though, you can win with.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well, sometimes special teams have been the difference maker. Like the onside kick for the Saints.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
We've heard it time and time again, but is that statement really true? Maybe this was accurate back in the days of the purple people eaters, steel curtain, and monsters of the midway. But long gone are the days of "defense wins championships." The days of "elite quarterbacks win championships" have arrived. Since 2000 here are the Superbowl matchups at quarterback (winners in caps):

2000- KURT WARNER vs. Steve McNair

2001- TRENT DILFER vs. Kerry Collins

2002- Kurt Warner vs. TOM BRADY

2003- Rich Gannon vs. BRAD JOHNSON

2004- Jake Delhomme vs. TOM BRADY

2005- TOM BRADY vs. Donovan McNabb

2006- Matt Hasselbeck vs. BEN ROETHLISBERGER

2007- PEYTON MANNING vs. Rex Grossman

2008- ELI MANNING vs. Tom Brady

2009- BEN ROETHLISBERGER vs. Kurt Warner

2010- DREW BREES vs. Peyton Manning

2011- Ben Roethlisberger vs. AARON RODGERS

2012- ELI MANNING vs. Tom Brady

2013- JOE FLACCO vs. Colin Kaepernick

2014- RUSSELL WILSON vs. Peyton Manning

2015- TOM BRADY vs. Russell Wilson

2016- Cam Newton vs. PEYTON MANNING

2017- TOM BRADY vs. Matt Ryan

You probably noticed that most of those quarterbacks are all time greats. These superbowl winning quarterbacks combine for 65 pro-bowls, 23 all-pro teams, and 11 MVP's. Where as the quarterbacks that didn't win (and never won again) only combine for 15 pro-bowls, 3 all-pro teams, and 2 MVP's. Some of those names like Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, and Ben Roethlisberger (Eli Manning?) will join Kurt Warner in the Hall of Fame.

Now, I will mention that most of the questionable names that won like Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Colin Kaepernick, Joe Flacco, and Peyton Manning (last year) were accompanied by some of the best defenses ever.

I've stated my opinion, but what do you think? Does defense win championships in this day and age?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Off the top of my head, 2001 that Ravens D carried them to the Superbowl.

2003 Bucs had a damn good defense that won them that game.

2008 that Giants D won them the Superbowl by continuously pressuring Brady.

2013, that was a pretty good Ravens D that got them there. Although Flacco did catch lightning in a bottle for that run.

2014 Seahawks defense was fucking ferocious.

2016 Broncos defense gave Cam all kinds of fits.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
maybe you should ask 63Bearfan about his DUT theory....he has an alt on this website you know

napo55

Liked Posts:
We just had a textbook case in the excellent Jacksonville defense and running game against a great QB and offense. The offense won.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't know what you saw in that game. The Jaguars made mistakes at the end of the game that handed the Patriots the ball in great field position. In reality they gave the game away after playing a great game throughout. Jaguars could have and should have won imo.

I actually think the Eagles can smack the Patriots around in the SB.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
It's something like 44 out of 52 Super Bowls have started at least one Hall of Fame QB.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
We just had a textbook case in the excellent Jacksonville defense and running game against a great QB and offense. The offense won.

Wrong. It was the Patriots defense that forced 3 punts along with a turnover on downs in the 4th quarter... Jags just forgot there were 4 quarters.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The #1 and #2 Ds were just beaten by the similarly ranked O's in their conferences. I've always said it's not about one side or the other but you can't look at these results and say it's all about the D when these D's had good associated Os that didn't hold them back yet lost. Patriots had the 29th ranked D this year and will be SB favorites.

dabears584

Bears Fan For Life TT&T
Liked Posts:
Well Tom Brady has beaten Kurt Warner, Jake Delhomme, Donovan McNabb, Russell Wilson, Matt Ryan and about to beat Nick Foles to cap a second dynasty in two decades against the same team they had previously the first dynasty. And between times they went undefeated one season and lost the SB to Eli Manning and then again a few years later. I'm just hoping for something half as good from the Bears this next decade and I don't care how they do it as long as they ain't cheating.

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
Jags went too negative in the 4th quarter - Bortles was playing well and they should have let him throw more on 1st down. Seemed like the whole 4th quarter they kept running Fournette into a stacked box on 1st down and making nothing. They lost their momentum. Foxy would have loved it.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wrong. It was the Patriots defense that forced 3 punts along with a turnover on downs in the 4th quarter... Jags just forgot there were 4 quarters.

Doesn't Bortles get half the blame? Is there something Bortles does or was doing that allowed the Pats D/Patricia to stymie/adjust to the Jax offense enough to do that?

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Doesn't Bortles get half the blame? Is there something Bortles does or was doing that allowed the Pats D/Patricia to stymie/adjust to the Jax offense enough to do that?

Sure it does, still the Patriots defense was the obvious better unit in the 4th quarter. They played extremely well.

Eagles and Pats both had Top 5 Scoring Offenses AND Defenses. Safe to say they both deserve to be in.