Does it matter if the Bears won the draft day trade with the 49ers...

Major Ursa

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Utah State Aggies
https://sports.yahoo.com/does-matter-bears-won-draft-211251485.html

Does it matter if the Bears won the draft day trade with the 49ers that got them Mitch Trubisky? originally appeared on nbcsportschicago.com

The starting point for looking back at Ryan Pace's draft day trade with the San Francisco 49ers in 2017 should be this:

Of the 25 first-round quarterbacks drafted since the NFL adopted the rookie wage scale in 2011, 14 were acquired because the team drafting them traded up either within the first round, or to get back into the first round. Only one team over the last three years did not trade up to draft a first-round quarterback - that being the Cleveland Browns, who stuck with the No. 1 overall pick this year and drafted Baker Mayfield.

It's easy to see why there's been such a stampede to lock in young quarterbacks through the draft lately when looking at the league standings. The Bears (Trubisky), Kansas City Chiefs (Patrick Mahomes), Los Angeles Rams (Jared Goff) and Houston Texans (DeShaun Watson) are all going to the playoffs with first-round quarterbacks on rookie contracts; the Baltimore Ravens (Lamar Jackson), Tennessee Titans (Marcus Mariota), Philadelphia Eagles (Carson Wentz) are in the hunt, too. The NFC East-leading Dallas Cowboys still have Dak Prescott on a ridiculously cheap fourth-round contract, too.

This isn't to say the age of the mega-rich quarterback contract is over; far from it. But only two of the 10 quarterbacks with the largest contracts - Indianapolis' Andrew Luck (No. 6) and Seattle's Russell Wilson (No. 10) - are in the playoff hunt. By average annual value, only Kirk Cousins (No. 3), Drew Brees (No. 7) and Luck (No. 8) are either in the playoffs or fighting for a playoff spot.

The 49ers - who passed on drafting a quarterback in 2017 - traded a second-round pick for Jimmy Garoppolo and signed him to a five-year, $137.5 million extension. Garoppolo tore his ACL in Week 3 and very well could wind up being a playoff quarterback as soon as 2019, but he's only played nine games for San Francisco. And that's a lot of money to have committed to a currently-injured player.

Or take Washington, which traded for and signed Alex Smith to a four-year, $94 million extension with $71 million guaranteed earlier this year. Smith's career is in doubt after suffering a gruesome leg injury in November, and while his own health is the most important thing here, that contract is the kind that could set an organization back years.

Meanwhile, the total value of the combined contracts of Goff, Wentz, Trubisky, Mahomes and Watson is $113,926,502 - less than the total value of six quarterbacks' contracts (Matt Ryan, Garoppolo, Matthew Stafford, Aaron Rodgers, Derek Carr and Luck). If the Colts miss the playoffs, all six of those players would not be playing into January.

Perhaps the recent crop of young quarterbacks will thrive after commanding massive contract extensions in 2020 and beyond, if that's the direction the Bears and these other teams go. But unless you're running the Saints or Steelers or Chargers or Patriots - teams with productive late-30's/early-40's quarterbacks - perhaps the best way to build a contender is to draft a quarterback and build around him.

That's what Pace did with Trubisky. The offseason moves to retain Kyle Fuller and Prince Amukamara and bring in Allen Robinson, Taylor Gabriel, Trey Burton and Khalil Mack all couldn't have happened without Trubisky on a rookie contract.

What happened with the picks?

The 49ers used the Bears' No. 3 overall pick to draft Solomon Thomas, who's been an adept run-stuffer but hasn't made the kind of pass-rushing impact expected from a defensive lineman picked that high (four sacks in 28 games).

San Francisco used the fourth-round pick the Bears traded them to pair with a second-round pick and trade back into the first round to draft linebacker Reuben Foster No. 31 overall. Foster was released in November after he was arrested on a charge of misdemeanor domestic violence, the latest in a string of off-field incidents for the former Alabama standout.

The third-round pick the Bears traded to the 49ers turned into cornerback Akhello Witherspoon, who had a solid rookie year but tailed off in 2018, not tallying an interception with only one pass break-up. He was placed on injured reserve this week.

With the Bears' 2018 third-round pick, the 49ers drafted linebacker Fred Warner, who's had a good start to his NFL career with 104 tackles so far in 2018.

The Bears, too, didn't necessarily suffer from losing the three picks they didn't replace. Pace re-couped a fourth-round pick when he traded down from No. 36 to No. 45 in the second round, using that second round pick on Adam Shaheen and the fourth-round pick (No. 119) on 2018 Pro Bowler Tarik Cohen. Pace also used the sixth-round pick he acquired while trading down in the second round to trade up five spots in the fourth round to take another 2018 Pro Bowler in Eddie Jackson.

The butterfly effect

History can't be re-written, so consider this: If Pace doesn't trade up one spot to draft Trubisky, perhaps he doesn't wind up drafting Jackson and Cohen in the fourth round.

Or if the Bears drafted Watson instead of Trubisky, what if Watson is good enough in 2017 - say, leading the Bears to a 7-9 record - that John Fox and Dowell Loggains keep their jobs?

Or if the pick were Mahomes, what's to say he'd be having MVP-level success after operating 2017's dour offense for a dozen games, as Trubisky did?

You can claim to know the answers to these questions. Mahomes probably would work out anywhere. Watson maybe wouldn't have been good enough with 2017's group of receivers to get this team to seven wins. Maybe the Bears could've been fine without two of the most exciting players this franchise has had in recent memory in Cohen and Jackson.

But here's the thing that matters the most: The Bears, in 2018, are going to the playoffs. Calling them a legitimate Super Bowl contender isn't hyperbole. And they're doing it with Trubisky as their quarterback.

Isn't that enough?

"I don't think many people saw that coming but what a great move by Ryan to do that," coach Matt Nagy said. "That's what's so neat about that draft. I always love listening to all the pundits talking about 10 minutes after the draft ends, ‘it was a great draft or it was a poor draft.' I've always been amazed by that. I don't know how that happens. They haven't even played a play yet in the NFL. I'll figure it out sometime. I just remember that night as being a great night for everybody and it was a unique night. Pretty cool."

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Some decent points. Going to get your QB on draft day is always acceptable but to look at who the 49ers drafted as a determination of whether this was a good trade for the Bear is silly. Bears would have drafted different players in those spots. It's impossible to know how our other picks would have fared.

I'm just happy that Pace picked his target and secured it. It will be a couple years to know if he got the best option and with the way Mahomes is playing, maybe not, but Mitch was on top of most boards and the safest pick in terms of running a controlled pro O with the potential to eventually excel at the time. Mahomes just turned out to assimilate the game better/faster than most expected.:beer:

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Given the conservative style of offense Fox wanted run I really cant see any rookie having a good year as qb of the bears last year. Also, with the lack of playmakers, I have a hard time believing any QB in the NFL would have had a good year with last years offense. Maybe Watson wins 7 games instead of 5 but Fox still gets fired. Nobody really knows how things went down between Lynch and Pace. A lot of opinions made from assumptions. There's really only one thing we know for sure. Lynch is on record saying all the calls he was getting for the 2nd pick stopped once the bears picked Trubs. You would think if the teams calling him for the 2nd pick had no interest in Trubs they would have had more interest in the 3rd pick because it would have taken less draft capital to move up. That's about all we know and it's not enough to even make assumptions. I just get a kick out of the meatballs on CCS and their agenda to call out Pace as getting fleeced by Lynch when not one of them can prove or disprove whether a team with interest in Trubs was in contact with Lynch about the 2nd pick. After seeing the roster Pace gas built and his ability to move around in the draft with success, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in believing he needed to move up to get his guy. It doesnt matter if Trubs turns out to be the guy or not.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Monster

Liked Posts:
Speaking of hindsight...
I have to imagine the 49rs regret the Garoppolo deal. I’d be calling Jacksonville or any other team who might be hurting bad enough to take that contract. Shit... they have Mullens cheap who is playing great!

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
This isn't to say the age of the mega-rich quarterback contract is over; far from it. But only two of the 10 quarterbacks with the largest contracts - Indianapolis' Andrew Luck (No. 6) and Seattle's Russell Wilson (No. 10) - are in the playoff hunt. By average annual value, only Kirk Cousins (No. 3), Drew Brees (No. 7) and Luck (No. 8) are either in the playoffs or fighting for a playoff spot.

Not sure what contract accounting the author did for this article, as there are numerous ways to slice it up. "Largest contracts" and "average annual value" are probably the two dumbest ways to look at a single season. The top QB cap hits for 2018 are:

1 Jimmy Garoppolo
$37,000,000
2 Matthew Stafford
$26,500,000
3 Derek Carr
$25,000,000
4 Joe Flacco
$24,750,000
5 Andrew Luck
$24,400,000
6 Drew Brees
$24,000,000
Kirk Cousins
$24,000,000
8 Russell Wilson
$23,786,666
9 Ben Roethlisberger
$23,200,000
10 Eli Manning
$22,200,000
11 Tom Brady
$22,000,000
Philip Rivers
$22,000,000

7 playoff QBs. The other playoff QBs are the guys still on their first contract. I'm not sure what conclusion the author wants us to draw from this. Good QBs who aren't on their rookie deals are going to make a lot of money. I'm not sure how that would be up for debate, or how to 'work around' that point.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The immediate narrative after a trade is worthless. Ideally trades are meant to satisfy needs on both sides of the trade. Both teams can get better from a trade. There is not supposed to be winners and losers.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Pace panicked and bid against himself to take Turd. Fucking idiot

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
The immediate narrative after a trade is worthless. Ideally trades are meant to satisfy needs on both sides of the trade. Both teams can get better from a trade. There is not supposed to be winners and losers.

I think this is specific trade is even more worthless than usual, because the Niners already had their QB and weren't going to be drafting Trubisky. They still drafted the guy they wanted, just at #3 instead of #2. From a logical standpoint, I'm not sure how the Niners could "lose" the trade. The only question for the Niners is could they have gotten more for their #2 pick from a different team...everything indicates that they could not. The Bears offered them the best (only?) deal.

The only question, obviously, is did the Bears have to move up to get Trubisky? Some say yes, others say no. If you don't know the answer to that question (and we don't know), then to rehash this topic is even more pointless than it initially was.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Pace panicked and bid against himself to take Turd. Fucking idiot

yep, it cost 18 million dollars for the Glennon ploy, but nobody thought they were going mitch with 2 and I doubt anyone else would have traded up to get him. Bottom line, what if they did, Maholmes or Watson are just as much a part of their team, and the whole point being, nobody would have ever known he did not get his guy.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don’t care about trading a 3rd and two 4ths to get a franchise Qb. I do question Pace and his staffs ability to evaluate Qbs.

1) signed Glennon
2) evaluation of Trubisky vrs Mahomes vrs Watson, the need to trade up wasn’t there because even if Trubisky was off the board Mahomes or Watson would have still been available. If Pace & company really had Trubisky that much higher than the other two then they need to revisit how they evaluate Qbs.

That said I am thrilled with the other positions they have signed or drafted. The rebuild as a whole of this team has been outstanding.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
BLUF for me is that if Trubisky ends up winning a SB, I give a rats ass how much the trade cost us....

I know people think we gave up a lot, but we still had enough draft capital to go out and get Mack, so...

We have a good roster right now, and that was because of trades, draft picks and FAs, isn't that the way it is supposed to work?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It is a bigger deal for SF fans who wasted a ton of really good picks and handed a glass QB 137 million dollars.

For the Bears it is less important.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think this is specific trade is even more worthless than usual, because the Niners already had their QB and weren't going to be drafting Trubisky. They still drafted the guy they wanted, just at #3 instead of #2. From a logical standpoint, I'm not sure how the Niners could "lose" the trade. The only question for the Niners is could they have gotten more for their #2 pick from a different team...everything indicates that they could not. The Bears offered them the best (only?) deal.

The only question, obviously, is did the Bears have to move up to get Trubisky? Some say yes, others say no. If you don't know the answer to that question (and we don't know), then to rehash this topic is even more pointless than it initially was.

All this shit is just fodder for talking points with no concrete evidence.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Of course the Bears won the trade and of course it matters. Early first round picks determine the trajectory of your franchise.

The 49ers drafted a bust, squandered their additional draft capital on another bust, and overpaid a quarterback when drafting any ONE of the THREE available would have put them in a good place going forward.

John Lynch absolutely shit the bed in this draft and there is no way around it.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Of course the Bears won the trade and of course it matters. Early first round picks determine the trajectory of your franchise.

The 49ers drafted a bust, squandered their additional draft capital on another bust, and overpaid a quarterback when drafting any ONE of the THREE available would have put them in a good place going forward.

John Lynch absolutely shit the bed in this draft and there is no way around it.

I do agree that Lynch blew that entire draft start to finish.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Would really suck having a $137M QB on the roster and not knowing if he's the guy or not lol.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Would really suck having a $137M QB on the roster and not knowing if he's the guy or not lol.

The only thing worse would be to have a $126M QB on the roster and knowing he's definitely not the guy.

e8d398b57cdb4f15b4fe06cefa6b45f5-original.jpg

greg23

Liked Posts:

Remind me again; which qb did the niners already have prior to that draft?

And to credit lynch for getting his guy at 3 vs 2 is laughable. Lynch is in record saying he thought pace was trading up for thomas and he was ready to draft Reuben Foster as 3; who they got at 32 after every team in the league passed on him for re flags and who has subsqquentallly been dumped by the niners for red flag issues.

Lynch got played; screwed up that draft but it doesn't fit the early hot take narrative and meatball hot take so it's not brought up.