Doug Pedo

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I can see a planning session in George's office with Polian, Soup, Tanesha and Teddy also in attendance.

George, "OK, so we all agree that Daboll is an intriguing possibility."

Everyone, "Yes, he is pretty close to the top."

George, "Ok, next is ..." "Ted, can you bring in the Pedo file?"

Teddy, "Sure, boss."

Teddy walks out and returns a few seconds later with ...

"I'm ba-ack!"
trestman2.jpg
Didn’t that dude come out on Cobra?

Attachments

• 2520F6E1-EFEE-42CB-864F-07F4D9D0713C.png
    2520F6E1-EFEE-42CB-864F-07F4D9D0713C.png
    366.5 KB · Views: 0

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Pederson is from the Andy Reid coaching tree, so offensively there's similarities (insert Nagy PTSD here).

Being an Eagle fan I vividly recall saying both Doug and Andy passed way too much. Truthfully, that's just the evolution of the league. You have short passes against favorable defenses to get your QB in rhythm and keep the defense on their heels. Looking at 1st or 2nd down as 'running downs' is a historic way to look at things. When Kirk Cousins was in Washington the coach at the time Jay Gruden said something that always stuck with me. On first down you can run power or you know 85% of the time the corners are playing 7 yards deep with no help over top. A quick pass is free yards if you can execute regularly. This ties directly into how the league has evolved AND why fans are screaming for teams to run more. We, being fans, are used to certain obvious running situations where the league has shifted to looking at that same situation on a matchup basis.

Personally I've started to look at plays differently. Did the playmaker get the ball in their hands with 3 yards or less, 15 yards or less or deeper than 15 yards? Running plays are obviously 3 yards, so I've started to wonder how often is my team stressing the defense on a short, medium or deep level, disregarding if it's a run or pass.

With that being said, what can you expect from Doug? The main benefit is that he knows what an NFL QB has to do and IMHO is good at developing one. He's spent his entire career as a backup, watching some great players and watching not only how they perform, but also how they got there. That's a huge plus.

He's not afraid to run the hell out of the ball when looking to close out the game, he just doesn't do it much. I think this ties to the above statement where he values getting his QB in rhythm and attacking favorable matchups. Anyway, he's a huge players coach and outside of Wentz, was loved by the locker room. He's good at scheming players open and his running attack used multiple blocking logic, so it was hard to prepare for.

The real question is why did he fail? IMHO it was a combination of the following:
  • Coaching Wentz hard wore on him - Wentz is a very strong minded guy and needs to be coached hard. Doug is a bit of a softy and that took him outside his comfort zone.
  • Injuries - It's crazy to think how many injuries they had his entire coaching stint (including the 2017 season). How creative can a playcaller be when their top 3-4 passing options are not available?
  • Power struggle and 'small' thinking - Ownership wanted him to make a big move especially after the DC and OC were moving on and he wanted to develop his own coaches. He dug in and they agreed to part ways. I think it was amicable and there's an outside shot Doug was looking to get fired, but overall he got to a point where he was only going to do it his way.
I think he's a good players coach, can develop a QB and offensively can draw up good schemes. I do think he needs a QB who's easier to work with. For all these wholesome stories about Wentz he's still a diva and you could tell in weekly press conferences that working with him was making Doug question what he could accomplish.
Also, Pederson did get the best out of that diva until it all fell apart in 2020. I think what this shows is Pederson can flat out coach up a young QB, the very thing Nagy failed to do twice.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Very lukewarm on pedo. Could do worse, but not sold on it

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Also, Pederson did get the best out of that diva until it all fell apart in 2020. I think what this shows is Pederson can flat out coach up a young QB, the very thing Nagy failed to do twice.
There is a bit more to that.

Wentz' first 2 seasons in the league he had former QB Doug Pederson as a head coach, former QB Frank Reich as the OC and long time QB coach John DeFilippo. That's an insane amount of NFL QB experience, so there were a lot of checks an balances in place.

After that Reich and DeFilippo left and Wentz ended up being a bit too much for Pederson to handle and shit went off the rails.

All I'm saying is Pederson definitely had a role in building up that 2017 MVP caliber Wentz, but it wasn't all him.

Actually the ice cream clip was so Doug. He's constantly thinking of his players well being and happiness, so the team can really rally around him. Unfortunately that doesn't work for someone that needs to be coached hard (like Wentz). I could imagine a pissy teenage Wentz going through a goth phase and step dad Doug is trying to play the 'buddy' role and help him through it. Unfortunately certain people need certain things to succeed.

I do feel Reich was the tough-love coach on that 2017 roster, but the way the Colts couldn't get Wentz' turnovers in check. I wonder if Carson has just matured past taking to hard criticism? Could also be that he needs a respected, experienced team like Pederson/Reich/DeFilippo, but if one player requires all that the issue isn't with any of those coaches.

Last edited:

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I think a little shine came off Daboll now that Allen is back to normal. His 85 QBR in 2019 jumped to 107 last season but came down to earth at 92 this year.