Draft Position

Peanut Punch

Liked Posts:
As of now, we're looking good to lock up a top 2 or 3 pick. Post bye week, however, we've got 5 games in a row that are all very winnable (@TB, @NYG, vs TEN, vs SF, @DET). Let's assume we win 3 or 4 of these and end up picking around 5 or 6 overall in the 1st round. Let's also assume Garrett and whoever your top choice of QB is off the board. Who are the next few guys who you'd be thrilled to have join the Bears as a major piece moving forward?

0-7
Cleveland Browns

1-5, 1-6
San Francisco 49ers
Chicago Bears
Carolina Panthers (1-5)

2-4, 2-5
New York Jets (2-5)
New Orleans Saints
Jacksonville Jaguars

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Calling any Bears game "winnable" is a stretch.

Peanut Punch

Liked Posts:
Do you view his as a corner or a free safety?

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Mitch Trubisky, Leonard Fournette, or TJ Watt.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
So I am warming up to Mitch Trubisky, who I think will be viewed as a guy you target at the top of the second round. Carr, Dalton, and Brees were once in the same boat, and look how well they have done for themselves (I'll even throw in Bridgewater, who was taken at pick 32). With that in mind, I wouldnt care if we reached for him; if he plays well he will shut up the critics.

With that in mind, I think we could trade down for a team that is targeting a guy like Peppers. If we go down to 9th overall, we can expect an extra first round pick in the following draft in return (see 2014, Cleveland and Buffalo trade). Take a solid RT pick in round 2 or 3 (bonus points if he eventually can play LT), and find a receiving TE somewhere in there, and we suddenly have a much younger offense whose only real weakness is having either a rookie or placeholder veteran at QB.

I would hesitate to wait until our pick in the second round to draft him, because I think Arizona or New Orleans would try to jump in front of our pick to nab him.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Safety for Peppers. Trubisky is looking like he is going in the top 20 picks right now so doubt he is available in the 2nd Rd. Not sure he will declare after one year of starting.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
If we somehow fall out of QB range, which I highly doubt, then I would look at Derek Barnett or Jabrill Peppers.

JaySix

Liked Posts:
As of now, we're looking good to lock up a top 2 or 3 pick. Post bye week, however, we've got 5 games in a row that are all very winnable (@TB, @NYG, vs TEN, vs SF, @DET). Let's assume we win 3 or 4 of these and end up picking around 5 or 6 overall in the 1st round. Let's also assume Garrett and whoever your top choice of QB is off the board. Who are the next few guys who you'd be thrilled to have join the Bears as a major piece moving forward?

0-7
Cleveland Browns

1-5, 1-6
San Francisco 49ers
Chicago Bears
Carolina Panthers (1-5)

2-4, 2-5
New York Jets (2-5)
New Orleans Saints
Jacksonville Jaguars

Out of those 7 teams I think the Bears are one of the 3 (Bears, Browns, 49ers) least likely 'to win a few games' but for the point of the argument there is no bpa thinking in this situation. The pick has to be a QB regardless.

No point pretending we're not playing NFL football here, if you don't have an elite QB you try until you do. Good QBs are drafted, they don't come available in FA.

Even a guy like Garrett, what is he supposed to do if your O is fronted by guys like Matt Barkley?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Guys settle down. They haven't lost a game since Thursday.

Reactions: WCL

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would be weary of a QB with so few snaps like Trubisky unless you plan on having him sit a couple years.

Falk might not have as intriguing athletically but he is a throwing machine. Every bit as accurate and he has Drew Brees speed ball release. I think he can develop into a nice pocket passer at the next level.

laputan

Liked Posts:
"You don't want the guy that already Shone, you want the guy that's gonna Shine." -Coach Ditka overheard discussing Bears' draft prospects

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If they can't get Garrett or a decent value at QB.

Jonathan Allen is a grown man who can rush the passer from inside. He is like Sheldon Richardson without the off field garbage.

Reactions: WCL

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

0-7
Cleveland Browns

1-5, 1-6
San Francisco 49ers
Chicago Bears
Carolina Panthers (1-5)

2-4, 2-5
New York Jets (2-5)
New Orleans Saints
Jacksonville Jaguars

your premise is a peanut punch to the balls. I hope we bottom out, get Garrett, and its bad enough to fire Fox.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they can't get Garrett or a decent value at QB.

Jonathan Allen is a grown man who can rush the passer from inside. He is like Sheldon Richardson without the off field garbage.

Wow. Reminds me of J.J. Watt for some reason. I'm down. How do we get Garrett AND Allen?