Draft Thread - June 21st 2018

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
I’m not going to lie, I wanted them to take a chance on Bamba. I’m alright with Carter though. At the very least, he’s going to be a solid starter for years. I didn’t watch any Hutchison games so I don’t have a good feel for him. Hopefully he turns into something. At least with the Carter pick that pretty much guarantees we aren’t going after Capela in free agency.

Speed

Liked Posts:
Can we PLEASE get lucky next year

[video=youtube;nDWobLS87Tk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDWobLS87Tk[/video]

czman

Liked Posts:
I don’t really think that you can legitimately expect to get a franchise changing player at 7, and definitely not at 22. I know there are exceptions to this but the sad reality is most of the best players in the NBA are drafted in the top 3. The whole high upside thing is fool’s gold a vast majority of the time. I also think the high floor is overstated. If the Bulls get a solid starter out of the either of these picks they have done well. They were not drafting at the top of the draft.

Also to anyone who thinks 6’10” 250 is a power forward and not a center, please move into the l decade. The NBA has already changed. I don’t know if Carter can play at the NBA level and from what I read he needs to work on his body. There is still some room for him to grow as a player. Quickness, explosiveness, strength, speed, and even jumping can be improved with proper training. If he ended up as a better Al Horford would anyone really be unhappy. That would be a tremendous pick at 7.

Only time will tell if either of this draft pays off for the Bulls. I hope they don’t throw a Max contract at LaVine. Let’s be honest though. Unless the Warriors break up no one is going to be contending for a championship in next 5 years. With player collusion, GMs have less ability to actual build a championship team. The smartest GMs right now should be trying to build solid good young teams that are cost controlled and hope they have the right pieces and cap space to fit the next player built championship.

AussieBear

I don’t really think that you can legitimately expect to get a franchise changing player at 7, and definitely not at 22. I know there are exceptions to this but the sad reality is most of the best players in the NBA are drafted in the top 3. The whole high upside thing is fool’s gold a vast majority of the time. I also think the high floor is overstated. If the Bulls get a solid starter out of the either of these picks they have done well. They were not drafting at the top of the draft.

Also to anyone who thinks 6’10” 250 is a power forward and not a center, please move into the l decade. The NBA has already changed. I don’t know if Carter can play at the NBA level and from what I read he needs to work on his body. There is still some room for him to grow as a player. Quickness, explosiveness, strength, speed, and even jumping can be improved with proper training. If he ended up as a better Al Horford would anyone really be unhappy. That would be a tremendous pick at 7.

Only time will tell if either of this draft pays off for the Bulls. I hope they don’t throw a Max contract at LaVine. Let’s be honest though. Unless the Warriors break up no one is going to be contending for a championship in next 5 years. With player collusion, GMs have less ability to actual build a championship team. The smartest GMs right now should be trying to build solid good young teams that are cost controlled and hope they have the right pieces and cap space to fit the next player built championship.

modern nba? so gobert, towns, whiteside, embid at 7 foot isnt modern? or cousins at 270+....carter jr build do fit..... sure... still a tweener... better feed his ass some deep dish.. .... dis chicago draft was so old n been doned too many times.. they still playing in 2012... talk about trying not to be moderns in dey approach..

warriors gm builted that team... evenz drafted they core before kd even arrived..

czman

Liked Posts:
modern nba? so gobert, towns, whiteside, embid at 7 foot isnt modern? or cousins at 270+....carter jr build do fit..... sure... still a tweener... better feed his ass some deep dish.. .... dis chicago draft was so old n been doned too many times.. they still playing in 2012... talk about trying not to be moderns in dey approach..

warriors gm builted that team... evenz drafted they core before kd even arrived..

I made it about half way through your post before the nonsense gibberish caused me to give no shits about what you were typing. So just to clear some things up for you.

https://fansided.com/2016/06/23/average-position-measurements-2016/
Excerpt:

The average height for a center is not actually 7-feet; it’s 6-10.9. And ever since I began tracking this information, it’s been around 6-11. So don’t despair if your new center is 6-11 or 6-10 — that’s normal. The 7-foot ideal, however, does apply to wingspan, as most centers have a wingspan of 7-feet or beyond. But the more important measurement is standing reach. I’ve always considered 9-feet to be the standard for a center. You can certainly play the position at a lower mark, but defensively you want to be a “nine-footer.”

https://shutupandjam.net/nba-ncaa-stats/ht-by-pos/

Average height is 6’11”. (Remember that is team stated height not real height. Players tend to be listed 2” taller than they are.)

Carter is:
6’10” 7’3” Wingspan and 9’ standing reach. That puts him in line with most other centers.

The last 96 centers that have been drafted (and were measured at the combine) have had an average Standing reach of 9’3” and 74” wingspan and were 6’10” 1/2.

There are some very long centers with 9’5”+ standing reach. To pretend like that is the norm is just, well misinformed.

I don’t know if this kid can play. His height/length won’t be the deciding factor if he can be a good starting center in the NBA. He is without a doubt big enough. The question is if he is skilled enough. We won’t know that for another few years.

* only read your posts to the first jackassery. After that I am done. If you want to have a conversation you have to stop typing like a clown.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Was at a sports bar, so many boos and I'm not to say I didn't initiate.

Oh well. Either they were right and the fans were wrong. We will see.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I am a little confused. Not confused that the bulls went safe, but when Trae Young for all intensive purposes was drafted 3, didnt, someone fall?

Does Garpax realize we have some 34 million of our cap used on centers? That they believed enough in Felicios game that they paid a not anything like a current NBA center 32million dollars last year and he spent most of the year in the g league? Will they pay Asik to leave? Are they that confident Lavine is resigning?

greg23

Liked Posts:
Not when 2 or 3 mocks had him there. Not to mention Brown was expected to go in the 20+ range. So yeah, Washington's pick is considered more of a reach.

You're spot on....wait; make it just the opposite:

As for first-round reaches, it’s hard to find one more glaring than the L.A. Clippers’ selection of Boston College guard Jerome Robinson at No. 13. Robinson ranked 59th overall in the Stats & Info model, with a 44 percent chance of being a bust

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Wendell Carter is actually pretty thick and strong. I believe he's like 260. Had Bagley never reclassified and Carter was able to be the guy, he probably would have gone top 4. It isn't a flashy/sexy pick, but he'll contribute day 1 and be a strong starter for years.

Beardown11

Liked Posts:

From this list I decided to take a look at the all time numbers and see how much draft position really matters towards being an all star level player. I did results for the 1st 15 picks and it is pretty illuminating.

Pick 1: 240 selections (16.8% total)

Pick 2: 144 selections (10.1% total)

Pick 3: 134 selections (9.4% total)

Pick 4: 98 selections (6.87% total)

Pick 5: 117 selections (8.2% total)

^by now this is already over half of all All-star selections

Pick 6: 72 selections (5% total)

Pick 7: 36 selections (2.5% total)

Pick 8: 60 selections (4.2% total)

Pick9: 69 selections (4.8% total) Nowitzki and Havlicek account for 26 of these

Pick 10: 55 selections (3.85% total)

Pick 11: 33 selections (2.3% total)

Pick 12: 29 selections (2% total)

Pick 13: 32 selections (2.2% total) Kobe and Malone account for 27 of these

Pick 14: 52 selections (3.6% total)

^ over 82% total in lottery

Pick 15: 11 selections (0.8% total) 7 by Steve Nash

#7 pick is not a great pick for some reason. I'm not sure Wendell Carter Jr. is going to change that either. I think he'll be plenty solid but All-star not so sure.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Wendell Carter is actually pretty thick and strong. I believe he's like 260. Had Bagley never reclassified and Carter was able to be the guy, he probably would have gone top 4. It isn't a flashy/sexy pick, but he'll contribute day 1 and be a strong starter for years.

I think that the Carter pick was very solid. I do not think at that point there was a higher upside gamble to take as it appears Porter's back is worse than he lets on.

Carter was Duke's best post defender, which the Bulls need. He has the size to bang around and set screens, and he shot 41% from 3 on a smaller volume but that seems like you can work with it, he also is not incompetent from the free throw line.

I am not sure he is going to be a star, but Lauri is the star, and he should cover up some of the defensive issues and be a nice re bounder and pick and pop guy.

Best case scenario can he be LaMarcus Aldridge? Both are big bodies that shoot pretty well without elite athletic ability.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hutchison made sense. They need someone with size and athletic ability on the wing that can play D. Before drafting Hutchison the Bulls had limited options to play defense against athletic wing players and now they have someone who can at least match up size and athletically. Will allow Lavine to do more offense and not have to play defense against another teams better wing players.

I think there is also some offensive hope for him as well.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
GarPax are so devoid of innovation, creativity, and taking on any risk. I would score this draft as a solid B, high floor low ceiling.

I swear they’re not even trying to win a title, just making safe picks to retain their employment.

Feckless c#^*@.

I just do not know what else they were suppose to do once Bamba was picked?

MPJ medicals must be a mess as teams were passing on him to take 6th men.

czman

Liked Posts:
Pick 1: 240 selections (16.8% total)

Pick 2: 144 selections (10.1% total)

Pick 3: 134 selections (9.4% total)

Pick 4: 98 selections (6.87% total)

Pick 5: 117 selections (8.2% total)

^by now this is already over half of all All-star selections

36.3% in the top 3 picks alone. The NBA draft is nothing like football where having the first pick doesn't mean anything. If you are not at the very top it levels out pretty substantially very quickly.

czman

Liked Posts:
I think that the Carter pick was very solid. I do not think at that point there was a higher upside gamble to take as it appears Porter's back is worse than he lets on.

Carter was Duke's best post defender, which the Bulls need. He has the size to bang around and set screens, and he shot 41% from 3 on a smaller volume but that seems like you can work with it, he also is not incompetent from the free throw line.

I am not sure he is going to be a star, but Lauri is the star, and he should cover up some of the defensive issues and be a nice re bounder and pick and pop guy.

Best case scenario can he be LaMarcus Aldridge? Both are big bodies that shoot pretty well without elite athletic ability.

2 things.

1) If Lauri is the star, they are in real trouble. He is going to have to get significantly better before he is a "Star" in the NBA, by most peoples definitions let alone mine.

2) Aldridge is a longer and leaner player. I am not sure there body types are all that comparable. It would be nice if Carter could get to the same talent level. I suspect that is really what you were driving at.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:

I really like his fit next to Lauri. The outside shooting and low post/interior defense will complement him well. Not to mention he definitely had one of the highest bball IQs in the draft.

I got into an argument with a couple of people who claimed that the Bulls are terrible for passing on Porter. The back surgery he had was serious and not just your run of the mill back surgery. It's the same surgery Dwight and he's been irrelevant and no where near the defender he was since having it. Amare had it and went into a steep decline and couldn't play as many minutes as he had his whole career. Not saying if will effect Michael Porter going forward, but I definitely see why many teams passed.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
2 things.

1) If Lauri is the star, they are in real trouble. He is going to have to get significantly better before he is a "Star" in the NBA, by most peoples definitions let alone mine.

2) Aldridge is a longer and leaner player. I am not sure there body types are all that comparable. It would be nice if Carter could get to the same talent level. I suspect that is really what you were driving at.

I think most assume that Lauri will get better. He already looks like he has transformed his body.

Getting a defensive minded 5 that can hit some shots seems to be the best that they could do once the first 6 picks had come off the board. I would have prefer Doncic as a perimeter threat, but it does not seem like it was a real option.

The Bulls do not want Lauri killing himself on defense, Carter should allow them to not rely on Lauri on the defensive end.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I really like his fit next to Lauri. The outside shooting and low post/interior defense will complement him well. Not to mention he definitely had one of the highest bball IQs in the draft.

I got into an argument with a couple of people who claimed that the Bulls are terrible for passing on Porter. The back surgery he had was serious and not just your run of the mill back surgery. It's the same surgery Dwight and he's been irrelevant and no where near the defender he was since having it. Amare had it and went into a steep decline and couldn't play as many minutes as he had his whole career. Not saying if will effect Michael Porter going forward, but I definitely see why many teams passed.

The IQ is a huge part of post defense.

Proper positioning and reading the flow on the outside is incredibly important to having your body in the right help position and seeing what is happening. The best low post defenders stop some drives before they even start by being in the wing/guards vision.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
I just do not know what else they were suppose to do once Bamba was picked?

Well, they could have been proactive (trade up or move the pick as part of a larger swap).

Staying put and assuming a reactive mode does not excuse the resultant options.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

it was bad enough him having spinal surgery, but apparently the medicals also included the hip. Still. the question is, would you still take Embiid even though he basically lost two years or assume that everyone is Greg Oden.

Anyway, the draft was really a joke. Seemed everyone really knew where they were going and this was just a tv show trying to keep viewers. I see us as getting another Taj Gibson and a chance at a star in Huchinson, but still think they could have moved 7 somewhere to get someone fans want to see.